Quote:
There's no way they've started from scratch again and frankly that's not what they did!
I know. I never said they did. It comes from Judaism -- more specifically the belief that Jesus Christ was and is a fulfillment of prophecies in the Old Testament. Most of the letters in the New Testament were written by Jews-turned-Christian.
Quote:
You're whole idea of me evangelizing atheism is pure bs
Actually it makes sense, since your first two posts had very little stimulus to bring up the absurdity you see in the very idea of the Christian God being God. You even went so far as to address Joozey's neutral agnosticism with "You're obviously wrong"... I understand this was said somewhat in jest, and was not intended to be aggressive, but it still shows your underlying desire to turn this thread into an anti-religion discussion (which you did a very good job of -- largely thanks to me getting way too involved tongue ).
Quote:
But that's where we disagree massively, as it clearly is open to interpretation. It doesn't matter that my exemplary interpretation was a bit of a stretch, as your interpretation is even more of a stretch! At least my interpretations stick to the literal texts.
What does that mean -- "stick to the literal texts"? One of your translations was basically "this is not literal", and another acknowledged the clear meaning but ignored the obvious implications of this.
Quote:
It's striking how fierce you believe in someone else's interpretation of the Bible, as if it's your own or even the one that makes most sense. It's easy to see many of these beliefs do not come from the Bible, but instead from your local organized religion.
Your continued belief that my understanding of the Bible is spoon-fed from someone else is not helping this discussion anywhere. Unless you can allow me some credit for what I say, this discussion isn't going to go anywhere. Then again, we've gone a long way already without getting anywhere.

Jibb

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!