Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (Ayumi, Akow, monk12, AndrewAMD), 1,398 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
02/17/10 16:02
02/17/10 16:02
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to the 5th episode of the weekly forum poll,

In this game, two randomly chosen contestants wage a war of non-wit in a contest to determine who has the greatest forum avatar. The rules are simple: every forum member, including the contestants, have the ability to vote for their favorite avatar. After three days of voting, the contest will end, and forum goers will have the ability to see who won this week's Avatar Wars Contest!

This week's avatar war will start on February 21st, 2010, and will end exactly 3 days later on February 23rd, 2010. During that time, contestants may promote themselves, bribe voters, trash talk opponents, and otherwise carry out whatever (non-lethal) action it takes to win the contest, besides the following:

Users may not hack or sniff incoming forum packets (obviously)
AND
Contestants may not change their avatars during the contest

Now, for your contestants....

ROUND 5:

VS.
Rondidon versus Captain_Kiyaku!
WHO WILL WIN???

Avatar Wars is brought to you by forum user "Redeemer". Any questions or comments regarding the Avatar Wars ideas should be forwarded to him in a PM.

single choice
Captain_Kiyaku
74%, 14 Votes
Rondidon
26%, 5 Votes
Total Votes: 19
Voting on this poll ends: 02/23/10 23:01

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 [Re: Redeemer] #310902
02/17/10 16:03
02/17/10 16:03
North America
Redeemer Offline OP
Serious User
Redeemer  Offline OP
Serious User

North America
I'm sure there are plenty of people here who remember the old Keen games and love 'em like I do. Rondidon seems like a perfect match to Captain_Kiyaku wink

Eats commas for breakfast.

Play Barony: Cursed Edition!
Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 [Re: Redeemer] #310905
02/17/10 16:23
02/17/10 16:23
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

I love the Commander Keen series, but Kiyaku's avatar is awesome!

EDIT: Thanks for reminding me, gotta search for some of Commander Keen's games in Steam.

Last edited by Cowabanga; 02/17/10 16:26.
Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 [Re: Redeemer] #310909
02/17/10 16:32
02/17/10 16:32
USA , NY
msmith2468 Offline
msmith2468  Offline

USA , NY
im voteing for the captin.
not sure what the other one is never heard of him

Last edited by msmith2468; 02/17/10 16:41.

Mikes Wicked Games

www.mikeswickedgames.com
Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 [Re: msmith2468] #310917
02/17/10 17:03
02/17/10 17:03
Germany, BaW�
Rondidon Offline
Expert
Rondidon  Offline
Expert

Germany, BaW�
Vote for me! Because... my avatar isn`t just an avatar, but has an extraordinary background story!

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 [Re: Rondidon] #310919
02/17/10 17:06
02/17/10 17:06
USA , NY
msmith2468 Offline
msmith2468  Offline

USA , NY
how bout this.
you explain your back ground history and i may reconsider my decision

Mikes Wicked Games

www.mikeswickedgames.com
Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 [Re: msmith2468] #310929
02/17/10 17:51
02/17/10 17:51
Germany, BaW�
Rondidon Offline
Expert
Rondidon  Offline
Expert

Germany, BaW�
my background story...

My enthusiasm for playing computer games awoke very early when I was 4 or 5 years old. We had a 16 MHZ 256 IBM PC with MS-DOS and GEM as graphical environment and a few games on it. Besides the first Duke Nukems, Flight Simulator 3 and a few other great cool old DOS games we had the whole Commander Keen Saga from ID Software, wonderful games. I`ve never played a better platformer until now and am sometimes still playing the new Steam version of Commander Keen these days.
Few years later in 1998 the first Unreal from Epic Megagames was released which should change my sense for game design. I (as a ten years old guy not speaking even one single English word besides "hello", "goodbye" and "start new game" ^^) learned how to create own levels in the UnrealEd and created my own map pack which my dumb brother deleted two years later by formatting the hard drive. I almost killed him back then grin . CD burners cost 300$ in that time, USB sticks weren`t even on the market, so I`ve got no backups of my first tries in game design.
Back then I dreamed of creating my completly own game, no mod, but programming everything by myself. From an advertisment of Acknex 3 in a German PC magazine ("Gamestar") I knew the 3D Gamestudio, but it was way too expensive for me.

So, in 2001, I tried to learn C and, in about 2 or 3 days, programmed my first game ever, a text-based quiz game called Quiz!. Then, in November 2001, I was at a computer software exhibition and made the steal of my life: I bought the brand-new 3D Gamestudio A5 Extra Edition as a second hand product for just 39DM / 20$ instead of 199DM / 110$!!

From that moment on I started developing games in Gamestudio first built upon the A5 templates, later from about 2003 on I scripted mainly by myself. In 2005 I showed a little 3D shooter called "Nightfall" in the style of the first Unreal at a German independent game developer meeting called "Dusmania". Watching at the projects of the other developers I decided to stop that project and began a new one in the style of Unreal Tournament 99: Adrenaline. And that`s what I`m still doing today. First written in WDL, then in C-Script and now in Lite-C the project is doing advantages and I`m looking forward to a release in September of this year.

Now it`s your turn, Captain_Kiyaku wink

Edit: This is my 500th post! grin

Last edited by Rondidon; 02/17/10 18:21.
Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 [Re: Rondidon] #310937
02/17/10 18:33
02/17/10 18:33
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

I really like your story, looks like I'll vote for you tongue

Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 [Re: Cowabanga] #310945
02/17/10 19:58
02/17/10 19:58
USA , NY
msmith2468 Offline
msmith2468  Offline

USA , NY
That was very compelling but I must here the captins story before I make a decision.
The screen shots are good

Mikes Wicked Games

www.mikeswickedgames.com
Re: Avatar Wars: Round 5 [Re: msmith2468] #310959
02/17/10 21:38
02/17/10 21:38
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
I thought your background story is about the picture itself, not about you tongue
Okay if you wanna here my story, here we go:

As Rondidon, i loved playing games when i was a little kid. I started playing games when i was like 8 (before i just played with Lego hehe) and i only played them at my neighbours place cause we had nothing to game on.
We started and went through commodore, atari and gameboy.
After a while, my parents got my sister and me a NES. Loved to play games on it (though they were kinda hard for me back then). And my sister and i always argued about who is playing next so my parents took away the NES and sold it :<.
After that, they tried it again with a SNES, same prob. Then Sega GENESIS, same prob. So we end up having no consoles anymore and i had to play at my neighbours house again hehe.

When my dad got his first computer, it was an Intel 486 and we had games like Woodruff. That was the time were adventure games started to impress me.
I think at christmas 1999 i got my own PC with a bunch of adventure games (Orion Burger, Sam and Max, Monkey Island 1+2, etc). I loved them so much and i got many new ideas for different adventures. I also started putting random stuff into my school back, you never know when you could use it lol.

The first time i started to do anything with gamedesign, was in 2000, i was 13 and i found a Pinball Maker and spent many hours with it.
But it wasn't enough for me so i looked into other stuff. I found the RPGMaker and spent like 2 years with it.

But again, i wanted more so i checked out online what other gameengines are out there. I somehow found 3DGameStudio and the name made me think "hm it might be easy to make games with that".
So yeah, 2002, got my A5 Commercial as birthday gift and started playing around with it. I think that was also the time when i registered here. I was 15 back then and when you check out my first posts, it's so embarrasing lol.

Anyway, i first only made levels, i didn't know anything about programing (just some simple script languages or HTML).
I wanted to make a contest game, a bomberman clone with a little dragon called Gonrad. So i was looking for many people who wants to join (like the typical noob job posting threads you found nowadays).
We ended up with 12 people in total and even had a very talented graphicartist i found in the GIGA Chat, who also did Textures for Gothic (Freelancer). I am still impressed by his work.

We finished the game at 11:59:59 (i sent the email then) and timelimit was till 12:00. So it was close hehe but i guess noone would ever have cared if it took a few mins longer.
Well we didn't win, i forgot if we even got mentioned. But it was a fun time, we worked so hard on everything and were successful (we finished the game).

After that i spent years working on my "dream" project DragonsNight (back then called DragonForce). I only did that with another guy called Jailbreaker, dunno if someone knows him.
He was programming, i did the level design. But the programming part got too much for him so i started to learn scripting in WDL. It took me like 10 times doing the scripting tutorials to ever understand programming lol.

Well after a few years we cancelled the project. Maybe i have some ugly screenshots lying around so i could post. Have to check my old backups.

Then i started working on different projects. Some for myself, prototypes, Irion for IceBytes, etc pp. I always tried to make the games to be normal, nothing special cause i thought it would appeal more people then. But i failed hehe.
So i once was like "you know what? i dont care what people think about my games, i want to make a game that I like, wether you call it a game or not".
So that was the first time i made Angelas World.

Then only spent time working on Angelas World 2 and a Mafia Game to try out some multiplayer stuff.

So the next part will probably make me look bad in many people so they won't vote for me hehe. I got tired of 3DGS (when A7 came out) so i tried different engines like OGRE, Torque, and Unity. So i finally stick with Unity now but as you know, it's not possible to get away from the 3DGS Forum tongue

Well that's it. Nothing special, just me.

EDIT:
Found some Screenshots on my webserver:

There are more screens form other stuff here too:
Leveldesign
Other Stuff

Last edited by Captain_Kiyaku; 02/17/10 21:43. Reason: Added Images

My Blog

"Tag und Nacht schrei ich mich heiser,
Wind weht alle Worte fort,
Tag und Nacht schrei ich mein Krähenwort!"

Subway To Sally - Krähenkönig
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de