Hi there,

As I'm currently working on the code for the main menu I also came to the point save/load system and I have an idea to that point:

In etherpad's menu section there is already the idea of packing levels in packs of 5-10 which the player then can relock and select for playing. We could take this concept in connection with the chapter/location concept many modern RTS games use. In these games the campaign usually is presented on a map where the chapters of the story have to be relocked to succed the campaign. We could use a similar concept, and pack 5-10 levels (if the levels are small ones, if we decide to create huge levels, it could also be one level per block) belonging to one visual style, one certain location, one story chapter or whatever to one icon on the "story map" (which could of course simply be a list like in warcraft3 eg.). The player relocks one pack after the other and his state is saved in his player's profile. This way we won't need a save/load system, a simple resume button which directs to last started level would be enough this way.

What do you think about it?