Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
freewhyblogelsewhere
by 9489cpjf. 06/03/24 06:06
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,356 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19056 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Would you play such a game? #315101
03/13/10 11:40
03/13/10 11:40
Austria
Dark_samurai Offline OP
Serious User
Dark_samurai  Offline OP
Serious User

Austria
Hi!

I'm currently thinking of developing games again. My first game project I worked on was a top-down multiplayer shooter featuring CTF, TDM and DM. Now I'm thinking of finishing this game (of course I would totally start from scratch again, because this project is from my very beginning).

It would be similar like this game I found on the internet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgEYXTSHWHI

BUT I would make it a bit different:
  • less ammo, more damage
  • bigger levels
  • only the room you are currently in is visible, so that you can't see everything
  • for shooting, mouse have to be over the enemy and not only pointing into his direction
  • adding different types of mines, for explosive fun wink
  • adding explosive barrels
  • maybe some kind of online highscore, so that you have some kind of challeng
  • and some other improvements like using ragdolls and shaders but these are not important yet

It should be a brake game (playing it for 10-45 minutes), but whit a high replayability. The focuse is nothing more than a FUN gameplay (not a realistic gameplay). I don't want to sell the game by publisher, but offering it over the internet:
1) either embedded into a homepage
2) or downloadable

Of course even if the game itselfe will be free, I want to earn a little money with commercials and/or small items that can be bought. But primary I want full servers, because such a game is only fun, if a lot of people play it.

What I would be interested in is, would you like such a game/would you play it?
For how long would you play it?
Would you give money away for items, or would you buy a "vip account"?
If you dislike the gameplay idea, what would you change?
How would you create this "online highscore" thing? Would you like to have some kind of level system that unlocks new weapons if you get better or something totally different?
Do you have any other ideas?

These are a lot of questions ^^ You don't have to answer all of them if you don't want, just give me an idea if it is worth to develop this game laugh

Thanks for your answers wink

ANet - A stable and secure network plugin with multi-zone, unlimited players, voip, server-list features,... (for A7/A8)!
get free version
Re: Would you play such a game? [Re: Dark_samurai] #315106
03/13/10 12:06
03/13/10 12:06
Germany, Magdeburg
Rei_Ayanami Offline
Expert
Rei_Ayanami  Offline
Expert

Germany, Magdeburg
I think i would play such a game laugh

I like the idea with an highscore system and a possible to unlock new weapons like in TF2 .

I wouldn't spend money for items or a vip account, because: 1. The game should be paid once at the beginning 2. Totally free

I also dislike the idea that you have to click the enemy directly and not pointing into his direction.

I would play such games for long times, cause I am addicted to online multiplayer games(like TF2^^)

--> Develop that game grin !

Re: Would you play such a game? [Re: Dark_samurai] #315112
03/13/10 12:17
03/13/10 12:17
DEEP 13
badapple Offline
User
badapple  Offline
User

DEEP 13
the game looks fun , i would play at least once , and more if i liked it , and it doesnt look like to hard a project to realize either. although i know nothing of the multiplayer part of the scripting , you and anet should have no problem there.

i would say go for it,looks good.

Re: Would you play such a game? [Re: badapple] #315114
03/13/10 12:20
03/13/10 12:20
Peine, Germany
Razoron Offline
Razoron  Offline

Peine, Germany
A game embedded in a website with the same game idea, but a different camera:
Quakelive

Re: Would you play such a game? [Re: Razoron] #315131
03/13/10 13:08
03/13/10 13:08
Austria
Dark_samurai Offline OP
Serious User
Dark_samurai  Offline OP
Serious User

Austria
Ok and what about blood? Should I add blood and how much?
The vid. I posted got a lot of criticsm because of the blood.

I think for the beginning, it would be also good to have bots. Because otherwise, servers will be very empty when the game is released (at the beginning).

@Razaron: Thanks for the link, but I already knew Quakelive. What I dislike is the scifi stuff... My game should have "normal" weapons in a todays scenario.

ANet - A stable and secure network plugin with multi-zone, unlimited players, voip, server-list features,... (for A7/A8)!
get free version
Re: Would you play such a game? [Re: Dark_samurai] #315134
03/13/10 13:18
03/13/10 13:18
T
the_clown Offline
User
the_clown  Offline
User
T

In a mp shooter, blood can be an important hit indicator;
If I developed such a game, I'd add blood, but not too much. Think of CoD4 for reference.

Besides, I like the idea of such a game. Sounds funny, especially with a todays scenario - a bit like Modern Warfare as arcade game. grin

Re: Would you play such a game? [Re: the_clown] #315225
03/14/10 01:02
03/14/10 01:02
Kiel (Germany)
Superku Offline
Senior Expert
Superku  Offline
Senior Expert

Kiel (Germany)
I almost cannot believe this coincidence. Yesterday I spent almost the whole day to create a multiplayer top down shooter with waves of enemies and RPG elements that is working quite nicely (my first multiplayer that works, too). If I deactivate player movement acceleration and make smaller waves it should work nicely via internet, too.

(I know that it looks shitty, there is only one player visible, the rest are bots.)

That means I would like to play such a game and I will follow your development with interest.

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends
Re: Would you play such a game? [Re: Superku] #315227
03/14/10 02:02
03/14/10 02:02
at my pc (duh)
darkinferno Offline
Serious User
darkinferno  Offline
Serious User

at my pc (duh)
few points you made that i dont like:

# less ammo, more damage
# bigger levels
# only the room you are currently in is visible, so that you can't see everything
# for shooting, mouse have to be over the enemy and not only pointing into his direction

lemme address each and why i think so, a multiplayer game is all about balance, what makes this game hard to work with is the fact that its a top down view, so if its player versus player then you have the problem that players can see each other behind walls and i can really see how it would be problematic trying to kill a player behind a wall.. as you go left, he goes right and your both circling the obstacle and getting nowhere, i think that would happen alot since the other players position would be clear

[less ammo, more damage]
well... that only makes sense for some weapons, most players rather hold down a fire button, its just a greater sense of fun

[bigger levels]
this comes with the problem that players can see each other behind walls, it'd turn into a cat and mouse like gameplay some times, personally i think arenas with cover would do great and keep the action intense but this depends on the pace you want

[only the room you are currently in is visible, so that you can't see everything]
would that look good if youre in a small room? idk.. just wondering

[for shooting, mouse have to be over the enemy and not only pointing into his direction]
i pretty much think that alone would make me not like the game tongue sounds annoying lol

ofcourse if this is team based and its players versus AI then you can ignore some of the above though and goodluck laugh

Re: Would you play such a game? [Re: darkinferno] #315236
03/14/10 09:08
03/14/10 09:08
Austria
Dark_samurai Offline OP
Serious User
Dark_samurai  Offline OP
Serious User

Austria
This is how the room fading will look like:

There are rooms around this room, but they are drawn black (please ignore the grafics, these are simple placeholders). I had to insert something that shows you where doors are. Because as you can see, the door on the right corner is not visible for the player.

Quote:
for shooting, mouse have to be over the enemy and not only pointing into his direction

What I mean with this is, that you shoot at what is directly under the crosshair and not only in the direction of the crosshair. So you have to move the crosshair over the enemy to hit him. Of course shooting will also work if you have the crosshair pointing on the ground. But then you will shoot on the ground wink

Quote:
most players rather hold down a fire button

For preventing this, I think I will also add ducking and jumping. So you can cover behind boxes, tables,...
But of course also hold down the fire button makes fun, so I have the possibility to create some levels where you can take cover and others where you can't laugh

Edit:
@Superku: Your game looks fun laugh When will we have the possibility to play a demo? ^^

Last edited by Dark_samurai; 03/14/10 09:11.

get free version
Re: Would you play such a game? [Re: Dark_samurai] #315408
03/15/10 11:04
03/15/10 11:04
Earth
Germanunkol Offline
Expert
Germanunkol  Offline
Expert

Earth
What I would be interested in is, would you like such a game/would you play it?
Yes, I'd play it. Definitely.
For how long would you play it?
For a long time. But only if the gameplay's very quick and it's simple to start/join a game, fast to get the map setup etc. Bots are a must, I'll explain my idea to this later.
Would you give money away for items, or would you buy a "vip account"?
I've never given away money for items for a game. You could think about a "donation" button somewhere though, so people can donate 5-20 Euros or so. You can also add that button ingame, but don't make it too big tongue. If I were the creator wouldn't the players to feel bad for not donating^^.
Another idea is buying a "full" version which, instead of 10 levels, lets you play in 20 different levels. The idea here would be that everyone can join such a level, no matter the version, but only people with the full version can host them.
Dunno. Items might just make it unfair, and less fun if someone has a rocketlauncher and someone else doesn't, and for items that don't affect the gameplay I wouldn't pay.
If you dislike the gameplay idea, what would you change?
I don't like the "nowadays" idea, but that's just a personal choice. I don't like these games to be realistic. Same goes for the blood, I don't care much for splatter, I prefer other cool effects, but that's just my personal taste and I'd love to play it even if it's semi-realistic. Or Nowadays-ic. Or whatever you wanna call it.
How would you create this "online highscore" thing? Would you like to have some kind of level system that unlocks new weapons if you get better or something totally different?
Unlocking more playable levels sound better to me, rather than unlocking more weapons.
Do you have any other ideas?
a) make me a beta-tester grin
b) squads: I've seen quite a few top-down shooters. but what I've never seen is a top-down-squad-shooter. Idea: instead of just one character, the "player" is made up of 4 characters, 1 controlled by the player and 3 bots. I'd loooove to play the game that way. If one of them dies, the other 3 go on, the player is "dead" when all 4 are gone, if the leader dies the players controls the next guy in the squad. Default behaviour would be: all of the bots shoot at the same position the player's firing at, giving you 4 times the firepower. 4 Little icons at the top or bottom of the screen let the other squad members behave differently, like "fire at will" or "cover me", just 2 or 3 very basic behaviours will do so it doesn't turn into a strategy game. Since you're programming bots anyways, this would be pretty simple to do.
You have boxes in the game, it'd be really cool if the bots would automatically crouch behind them and fire over the crates. Or something.

c) Not another idea, more of a comment: I think it a great idea for you to develop multiplayer games, because I think that's what every codebase needs: one or more of the creaters actually using it themselves. I'm sure ANet will benefit a lot from it if you actually use it.
d) The door-indicators look pretty cool. I like 'em!

Have fun with this, and keep us updated!

P.S. sorry, monster post tongue... just my two cents.

Last edited by Germanunkol; 03/15/10 11:06.

~"I never let school interfere with my education"~
-Mark Twain
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de