PLEASE don't turn this into a religion topic. I really enjoy discussing immortality. The means by which it was achieved is pretty unimportant. Whether by science, genetic mutation or godly blessing. It doesn't matter. In this topic I want to know your take on Immortality, not whether God will have mercy upon our sorry asses if/when/after/before/while we die.

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
For existence potentially being of infinite nature as well, I have no doubt in my mind that you would get bored quickly or even ever. 5 trillion year is a lot for someone that's not immortal, but for someone living basically for eternity it's quite literally nothing.

I think the idea that life is more worth when it's not infinite might very well be untrue as well, for it's actually the more memorable memories that count when it comes to the emotional experience of life itself. Not the fact that you may one day not live anymore. :-p

I do think the idea of immortality sounds great, especially as a severally increased lifespan (ie. literally infinite) really provides one with the ability to do a whole lot of otherwise impossible things.

You're still bound to change and progress or degradation of cultures, planets, life and so forth though, so it's not like you'll end up living an unrestricted life.

What if a culture decides to capture you as their 'God', holding you captive for thousands of years? Immortality obviously isn't the same as having unlimited physical, mental or 'magical' powers.

The immortality factor might not always be positive, but the same holds true for mortal life.

THANK YOU! Finally someone who takes the opposing side! laugh

However, my question would still stand. Maybe not after 5 trillion years, not 100 trillion, or maybe not even after 10 googol years. But at some point, you would have done everything there is to do... with a lot of complaining in between because to do everything can be quite boring at times. Like I quoted in the beginning, "To an immortal, searching every corner of the Universe will make as much sense as examining every blade of grass on Earth makes to us.".

Maybe I should change my question to "What would you do if you were immortal?" hoping for an answer for an activity one could do for eternity.

Maybe play God for a few millenia... who knows.

Immortality is a weird thing, but you are right, it is all subjective. Five trillion years might seem like a lot to us, but to someone who literally has all the time in the universe it might just be as little as a heartbeat for us.

Interesting would be to just "hang in there" until the lifespan of electrons ends and then watch the night sky as the lights go out one by one. That surely would be something worth seeing.

And here's another question: Would a (immortal) partner make eternity more fun or less?

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku