You could use c_content. This is some code that George wrote in aum88 for unanswered questions. It uses c_content for obstacle avoidance and it does work very well. You could adapt this in your code and just play with the settings, to get them set the way you want.

Code:
// the road is clear? then rotate the enemy towards the player

if (c_content (content_right.x, 0) + c_content (content_left.x, 0) == 2) 

{

vec_set(temp, player.x); 

vec_sub(temp,my.x); 

vec_to_angle(my.pan, temp); // turn the enemy towards the player

}

if (vec_dist (player.x, my.x) > 500)

{

vec_set(content_right, vector(50, -20, -15));

vec_rotate(content_right, my.pan);

vec_add(content_right.x, my.x);

if (c_content (content_right.x, 0) != 1) // this area isn't clear?

{

my.pan += 5 * time_step; // then rotate the enemy, allowing it to avoid the obstacle

}

vec_set(content_left, vector(50, 20, -15));

vec_rotate(content_left, my.pan);

vec_add(content_left.x, my.x);

if (c_content (content_left.x, 0) != 1) // this area isn't clear?

{

my.pan -= 5 * time_step; // then rotate the enemy, allowing it to avoid the obstacle

}

c_move (my, vector(10 * time_step, 0, 0), nullvector, GLIDE);

ent_animate(my, "run", run_percentage, ANM_CYCLE); // play the "run" animation

run_percentage += 6 * time_step; // "6" controls the animation speed

}

A8 Commercial