We could create a more-community managed(by volunteers) resource archive other than the AU.

I once decided to create a site for Models, particularly in mdl7 format, which are mostly converted from the models on the internet with the permission of the original artist. Models would have one of the 2 main properties "which are free for non-commercial use" and "unrestricted use". So when one decides to start a prototype, goes there picks models that are needed and create their prototype etc. Also there could be some base-models, which users build upon, like a base male character model that everyone use, then when someone adds new animations they share them with the other users, since everyone using same model, that model gets a lot of new animations and add-ons useful for everyone over time.
Internet is full of nice models with free-to-use licenses, most beginners have problems converting them.

Same site could be used for scripts too, but unfortunately i scrapped this project.

I even got the domain name for that project(mdl7.org) but there is only a dummy page currently.