Quote:
"Sorry, but for 50% of your post I would have to say RTFP"

Fair enough.

Glad you have a sense of humor! laugh I was hoping my snarky post would not backfire. laugh

Quote:
WED is heavily based on Worldcraft and Valve Hammer Editor, which shared/share many of WED's problems (all except for the awful gridsnapping system). My opinion: if it was/is good enough for valve, it's good enough for everyone else.

Actually, WED was based on QOOLE. Here's a screen shot:

QOOLE was a third-party game editor made for Quake (and Quake related games). QOOLE stands for Quake Object Oriented Level Editor. I believe that Quake came out in 1996 or so. QOOLE was not far behind. Do we really want to be working with an editor that, for all intents and purposes, is over a decade old? Look at the UI image above! Has WED changed all that much? They updated the icons (twice, I think), but really nothing much has changed.

But WED is NOT based on Worldcraft/Hammer at all. Nope. Again, it is based on QOOLE. And even if it was, just because Worldcraft was adequate 15 years ago does NOT mean it is anywhere near adequate TODAY. I have a copy of 3D Studio MAX 2.5 laying around somewhere. Man, was that a sweet application (and expensive, too) back in the day. Not only is it a pain to get up and running on today's modern computers and OS's, but the application, once one of the best on the market, totally SUCKS by today's standards. It is clunky, lacking in features, slow as hell, visually underwhelming, and can't handle an appropriate amount of geometry, etc. Even today's free and inexpensive software run circles around that old "top of the line for the time" app. I will, in no wise, return to using that program (even with a gun to my head). Why should I have to settle for WED, based on an editor from even earlier (MAX 2.5 was around 1999, I think)?

Valve has come a long way since the days of Worldcraft/Hammer. I very much doubt that they would settle for using either tool in their studios today. I very much doubt that they would find the software "adequate" in any way, shape or form.

Oh, a Model A Ford was more than an "adequate" mode of travel in the early 1900's. And while it might be fun to take one for a spin from time to time, I am certainly not going to find it "adequate" for most of my daily needs requiring travel (not if I want to travel comfortably). So, yes, WED is quaint, a reminder of the past (and what a constant reminder it is!), but it is NOT a decent tool to use for TODAY.