Originally Posted By: Redeemer
Originally Posted By: JibbSmart
if it's no longer a game because there isn't enough playing, but playing still exists in it, then what is it?

Why, it's an interactive movie of course!
If I play a (typically) 6 hour game, 2 hours of which are cutscenes (I know it's ridiculous, but bear with me), it's obviously a game. Then on the second playthrough I have a number of things to my advantage: I've discovered shortcuts, I've mastered the gameplay, I know the most efficient way through every conversation and which choices result in me being able to skip entire missions and boss-fights, and I beat the game in 1 hour 59 minutes. By Spike's definition it's not a game (these things could theoretically be done by a lucky player on their first playthrough), and you think it's an interactive movie?

Here's the thing: definitions which are "obvious" (what's a game, what's playing, so on) are often only "obvious" from a limited point of view and the context of your own experiences, which will differ greatly with other players. What Spike considers "obvious" ways to draw a line differ from mine, and there's no less reason to accept the binary "is there interaction" as a good line. I'd argue that there's more reason.

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!