Quote:
Also, in my opinion while WED and MED are definatly outdated, they are much easier to understand for a beginner

The problem is more than WED and MED being outdated. They do things in very strange/poor ways. Especially MED. A beginner who learns 3D, for example, via MED is really at a disadvantage as he will not be able to use much of that knowledge elsewhere (i.e. when using other 3D applications). If MED were more standardized, then I might agree with you.

Secondly, MED is NOT a good program for a beginner, imo. It makes you jump through all sorts of complex hoops to get simple tasks done. It is overly complex for such a simple program (simple meaning, it doesn't really do a whole lot). Other full-featured 3D apps are easier to understand (imo) and faster to get things done in. So, no, MED is not an ideal app for beginners (again, imo).

WED isn't too bad, but I may be saying that because I know my way around WED. I've been using the damned thing for way too long. However, WED can be one of the most frustrating apps I have used. It's viewports are slow, slow, slow. The display quality is crap. After all these years it is still not drag-n-drop for simple things like adding items, textures, etc. If we were teleported back to the days when Quake was a brand new game, then I would be singing WED's praises. But today? This is barely a Windows app and a poor one at that.

People in the know these days try their best to avoid using either MED or WED. This should not be the case with the tools supplied by and made by the people who make the engine, imo.