Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (NnamueN, 1 invisible), 1,413 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
Re: The Future - Is There One? [Re: FBL] #396795
03/10/12 19:04
03/10/12 19:04
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

And I wanted to add I really really hate WED - especially for its problem with keys getting stuck in Walkthrough mode!!

The workflow is very very poor.... even for simple levels.

Re: The Future - Is There One? [Re: FBL] #396817
03/10/12 23:54
03/10/12 23:54
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

I just remembered that ParadoxStudio (the creator of the Natural Media Center and the AR plugin) said (after asked for it), that they use Gamestudio because of it's easyness and straightforward way of working with.

One of my clients is launching a biofeedback device for the health & medical market and is seriously considering to use Gamestudio as default development platform for future games and applications, because stunning results can be created/prototyped and polished in a very short timeframe and it has some unique features like the native socket commands that are perfect for their hardware interface.

I know several developers that are producing retail Gamestudio-games for the german market that have budgets of over several dozens of grands. Here in this forum are active and inactive people that are still making a huge amount of their money with it.

What almost anyone is missing is the fact, that games in particular require a huge amount of work and for most productions, customized in-house tools are an absolute must-have, not including the tools to create art, audio and everything else you need. Plus talent and effort and blood and sweat and tears - and not fancy soft shadows from outer space.

You know what? Talk is cheap and I seriously doubt that most of the people are really constrained in how they are progressing with their game (if there is even something in development) because feature X and Y are missing or platform Z is not supported.

In my eyes it is more important to ask "what can I do?" than "what can I not do?". And if you really think that there is no way to do what you want to do --- you are always free to change technology..

Last edited by HeelX; 03/10/12 23:55.
Re: The Future - Is There One? [Re: FBL] #396820
03/11/12 00:43
03/11/12 00:43
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Well that fake MMO project and Dagobert really put on the handbrake for the 3DGS development (we don't even seem to get a recent AUM thumbnail anymore grin ). To my mind this sort of was the finishing blow to a somewhat sub-par engine as it badly needed quite an overhaul back then and today even more as the other engines leaped ahead...

It's hard to blame anyone for this though. There sure were some bad decisions concerning the course of development (both outright wrong or just turning out wrong in the long term) but even with all decisions made just right 3DGS probably would have fallen short by now due to the lack of manpower. 3DGS never succeeded in growing or maybe the need for this never was realised. Today there exist engines like Unity with a huge team behind it. With maybe just JCL really working on the engine itself nowadays (I don't know too much about the number of people working on the engine itself since Marco left) there's no way 3DGS can compete...

I still think the only option 3DGS has is to stick to a niche and be good at that. The recent messages concerning Android support and so on don't really show that though - there's next to no appeal in using 3DGS for a mobile game. It's true that Indies really have a chance on that market and Indies are what 3DGS aims for but they need an easy to handle engine and a good art pipeline. Not mentioning some advanced culling or well optimized shaders etc. for some limited eyecandy. All of these are aspects where 3DGS falls flat though and that's why I see little success in the development of Android games with Acknex which also slows down the development of the highly needed improvements on the engine itself and its editors...

So when being asked about the future of 3DGS I see it falling into oblivion / vanishing into thin air as it won't be a competitive product anymore (and actually even right now hardly is)...

Re: The Future - Is There One? [Re: HeelX] #396823
03/11/12 01:09
03/11/12 01:09
USA
RealSerious3D Offline OP
RealSerious3D  Offline OP

USA
HI HeelX,

I am going to disagree to some extent with some of what you have said above. No hard feelings, I hope. laugh

First of all, no one here has said that you cannot create anything with GameStudio nor has anyone said that retail games and professional products cannot be created with GameStudio. But let's look at this statement of yours for a moment:

Quote:
What almost anyone is missing is the fact, that games in particular require a huge amount of work and for most productions, customized in-house tools are an absolute must-have, not including the tools to create art, audio and everything else you need. Plus talent and effort and blood and sweat and tears - and not fancy soft shadows from outer space.

Yes. Exactly. But the people who have the ability to build customized in-house tools are also capable, if they so chose, to use just about any engine out there from free ones like Ogre to something that costs thousands of dollars. These types can make choices because they can create what is lacking if they need it. But most of the rest of us do not have this choice.

GameStudio is not billed as a game engine for professionals (it was certainly not developed by id wink ). It is promoted as a studio for people to make games, even if they have little to no skill in the making of games. That is why it comes with WED, MED, and templates for things like making a shooter game, RPG, etc. But it is also an engine that professionals use as they can indeed develop their own DLLs, can extend the engine to some degree, make their editors, etc.

So a person or a company that is looking for an already created engine to use may select GameStudio for a variety of reasons (and you've mentioned at least one of them). But that does not mean that the engine is not dying or being neglected by the developers. Nor does it mean that GameStudio is what it should be. I am an artist. I don't mind using the template code or developing some simple code, but I just want to create stunning environments and move through them (or allow others to move through them). I can certainly get things going in GameStudio, but it is a pain in the butt to use this engine if one is not a programmer. I am forced to use WED to some degree and to deal with its issues. And the engine is very limited when compared to others (and, since I am not a programmer, I don't have the option of adding on to it via a custom DLL, etc).

Quote:
Talk is cheap and I seriously doubt that most of the people are really constrained in how they are progressing with their game (if there is even something in development) because feature X and Y are missing or platform Z is not supported.

Maybe. Maybe not. However, it is not the missing features that get me. And I have rarely complained about missing features. I don't really need cool new features for most of what I want to do. But I do complain about the terrible tools, the bugs, the lighting errors, the times when WED will not compile a level right during a build or won't compile the level at all, etc. These are not "new features" that I am talking about, but getting the engine to simply work smoothly.

And build times, though faster than previous editions, are still too long in some scenarios. It's just feels like this engine has too many hooks into the past ... as if it is somehow still a version of the Quake engine with a bunch of really cool add-ons. Yeah. I know that this is not the case in any way, shape, or form. But this is the impression I am sometimes left with. Maybe it comes from staring at WED too long. wink

Quote:
In my eyes it is more important to ask "what can I do?" than "what can I not do?". And if you really think that there is no way to do what you want to do --- you are always free to change technology.

I agree. However, that is not the topic of this thread. wink I am just wondering if I am going to be FORCED to change technology because GameStudio is dying in the eyes of the developers. wink

Re: The Future - Is There One? [Re: RealSerious3D] #396825
03/11/12 01:17
03/11/12 01:17
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

Ok, that was fair enough. Maybe I was also looking too much with the eyes of a programmer, biasing my statements.

Re: The Future - Is There One? [Re: RealSerious3D] #396826
03/11/12 01:18
03/11/12 01:18
USA
RealSerious3D Offline OP

USA
Quote:
I still think the only option 3DGS has is to stick to a niche and be good at that.

To some degree, I agree ... especially if they don't increase the development team to bring this level up a notch. What seems to be really missing (imo) is a well rounded real-time 3D game engine that allows non-programmers to EASILY make 3D games. The templates are lacking in this regard and are not either bulletproof or all that easy to use properly. If the developers came up with a simple system that allowed easily created games (somewhat like The Game Creators FPS Creator, but better) I think that would rock and would sell many copies (if sold at an affordable price). And if they still allowed for "professional" developers to do what we are already doing, then all the better.

Re: The Future - Is There One? [Re: RealSerious3D] #396827
03/11/12 01:19
03/11/12 01:19
USA
RealSerious3D Offline OP

USA
HeelX (and others) ... this has been a fun and informative discussion, though. No one has gotten bent out of shape, no "voices" were raised, and people are sharing their thoughts in a constructive manner. Very cool. And that's especially good since the initial reaction to my posting this thread was something like, "Not again!" wink

Re: The Future - Is There One? [Re: RealSerious3D] #396927
03/12/12 09:20
03/12/12 09:20
Budapest
sivan Offline
Expert
sivan  Offline
Expert

Budapest
I would be really interested in your (I mean in plural) opinion about what other game engines are worthy to be tried/used beside/instead of 3dgs, and for what type of games/applications they are really practical. Taking into account 3dgs commercial as a maximum price. And must be suitable for one person development (i.e. not needed to be professional neither in graphics nor in programming).
- I tested Unity free - simple, but no shadows, too messy project handling, not good for my purposes;
- atm I'm testing the Ogre based Neoaxis - it offers a lot of example projects, including 2 pathfinding systems, but its workflow is not too smooth at all, so probably I'm uninstalling it soon;
- DXStudio - said to be really slow in fps;
- Torque - the Pacific demo also shows very low fps on my pc, its scripting seems to be not so simple as Lite-C, but anyway it might be not too bad;
- UDK - seems to be fine, free (plus royalties), but atm has too high system requirements for me;
- Esenthel - seems to be fine, but atm has too high system requirements for me;
- CryEngine - seems to be fine, free (plus royalties), but atm has too high system requirements for me;
- HeroEngine - seems to be fine, free (plus royalties), system requirements are achievable.
So until now 3dgs seems to be the best option to keep system requirements at the lowest possible level, achieving an acceptable graphics quality by utilizing some 3rd party tools too, and last but not least it has a simple scripting language. Please share your experiments. Maybe it would require to create another thread? laugh

Free world editor for 3D Gamestudio: MapBuilder Editor
Re: The Future - Is There One? [Re: FBL] #397969
03/25/12 22:59
03/25/12 22:59
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2012/03/10/gdc-2012-unity-3-5-and-advanced-character-animation-preview/

there is no way gamestudio will ever have such tools. well, except if jcl makes tens of millions of euros with zorro and hires a team as big as unity's. tongue

(hm... but even with those tools... most games made in unity look extremely boring to me. :))

Re: The Future - Is There One? [Re: ventilator] #397973
03/25/12 23:23
03/25/12 23:23
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
Originally Posted By: ventilator
(hm... but even with those tools... most games made in unity look extremely boring to me. :))

Well when looking at their GDC reel pretty much all games are made for mobile platforms or browser games and I also think this in general is a very strong side of Unity. Sure - those one button games don't look very exciting to me either but it seems that there still is quite a market for Indies which is why probably the majority of Unity games are from this sector...

@sivan:
You forgot about Shiva...

Last edited by Toast; 03/25/12 23:24.
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de