I started a new post (rather than add to the last one) because it really is a differenct topic.

Am I the only poor smuck running Window ME with a NVIDIA card? Anyways if anyone else out there is running this config ...

Microsoft Windows Me (4.90 Build 3000)
MSAA20_rdk V2.0
Directx 9.0c (4.09.000.0904)
nvdisp.drv (4.14.00010.6694) <---new driver.
GeForce4 Mx 440
3dgs V6.31.4 Commercial

The lastest version of nvdisp.drv has some problems on my system.
I installed this driver and ran the Direct3D tests from dxdiag- the spinning cube fails to display properly when running the Direct3D 9 interfaces. No error is reported - but the image is a triple image with other noise on the display. I have tried various setting with the card but have had no success with this driver. (And it is in fact, not signed).

With 3DGS this manifests in Fullscreen mode - especially if you try changing resolutions - the display of the game is messed up the same way as you see in the dxdiag tests. After wasting 2 days - I have ended up backing out this new driver for good and am running with an old version 53.04. There are two versions in between 5304 and 6694 which I didn't bother testing. (One is for directx 9b, the other directx 9a).

If anybody has any ideas about what might be the problem - please let me know. I would like to upgrade but can't seem to get the driver working.