As I've said before, you only use a specific tool/ feature when you need it, you won't find any predefined workflow as there is no such thing, it isn't even necessary. Just start with a gameplay prototype (using a simple WED level and SED) and then you decide what you want to create next, your ideas and your mind dictate what tool is to be used next.

IMO the terrain generation is in fact a little problematic with GStudio, but you can try the following approach: Open the painting program of your choice, draw a heightmap where black is the lowest and white is the highest point. Then choose a multitexturing terrain shader (there's a list of available shaders in the manual) and create the appropriate blend map (this depends on the shader). Now import the heightmap in MED and make some adjustments, if necessary. Add the terrain in WED and assign the material/ action (f.i. from mtlFX.c).

"Falls das Resultat nicht einfach nur dermassen gut aussieht, sollten Sie nochmal von vorn anfangen..." - Manual

Check out my new game: Pogostuck: Rage With Your Friends