I have three problems with the modern Elder Scrolls games:

1.) First person view
I really don't like the ego perspective. It just doesn't work for me when it's about close combat. The look, the feel, the gameplay - it's simply not very appealing to me. What I'd like though is something Red Steel tried to do by using the Wiimote to simulate the way you hold a sword...

2.) The enemy scaling
I dislike the entire mechanic of enemies that level up just like you do. It sort of destroys the world for me and takes any challenge away. Plus it's ridiculous when "suddenly" thieves you meet on a street start wearing mithril armor or something like that just to match your stats...

3.) Morrowind
This game might be what ruined the entire series for me. It was the first Elder Scrolls game I played and one of the few games I actually stopped playing pretty soon. I still hate this entire empty world with the giant mushrooms and whatnot. Not mentioning the said problems with the gameplay mechanics. I also never could get over all those things like silly nonstop jumping around just to improve your stamina/athletic skills. This whole improving by doing thing might be somewhat "realistic" but at the same time I think it's silly that it makes you jump around like an idiot with "Oh - you've improved your skill!" messages popping up all along...

In general I prefer the Gothic like experience. 3rd person view, enemies with fixed stats so I might have to come back when I've become stronger and no silly busywork like jumping around to improve my skills...