Wbjender is right, kindaish, I mean, Lite-C really isn't that good. Though that's pretty much all I'm agreeing on with him, and don't get me started on the Apple and Oranges comparison between Lite-C and C++.

Anyhow, the reason your CPU activity is so high, despite gamestudio not doing anything, is most likely because it is busy looping it's run loop. You see, there are cases where it makes sense to do only work in bursts and give CPU time back otherwise, not only for performance but also battery uses, but it doesn't make sense for Gamestudio.

If you limit the FPS to 60, it makes sense to only dispatch a run through the run loop every 16 milliseconds, that's what you expect after all. It doesn't make sense to give the CPU time back though, busy looping for the 16 milliseconds to pass would be the wiser decision. The reason for this is that putting your program to sleep relies on the scheduler to wake the program up again in time, which is definitely not going to happen. That's fine for normal applications, but not for applications where milliseconds make a difference. Forcing a reschedule marks your application as nice, and will implicitly lower your priority within the scheduler. The contract is simple: You don't use everything, you don't need everything, so you are less likely to get scheduled. Again, not desirable in an application where time is critical. You want to burn CPU cycles that you don't use, simply to look active and maintain a high priority, stupid jittering just because the game got suddenly more CPU intensive is the least thing you want.

tl;dr: Don't use gamestudio for things it wasn't made.

Edit: And Kartoffel, please bring back the vibrant colours to your music player. The ones of your last screen without the saturation look pretty meh if anyone wants to know my opinion.

Last edited by JustSid; 10/06/13 14:27.

Shitlord by trade and passion. Graphics programmer at Laminar Research.
I write blog posts at feresignum.com