Quote:

By the way: I like your detailed buildings very much. Did you do these with blocks or with models. And how big is your terrain? Do you create different levels or one huge level?

Most of the better looking buildings and levels were done by others. Bernd from Twin Bits did many of the stand-alone structures. Yes, they are blocks. And he did a suberb job texturing them as well. The pillared level with the flags was also done for me by someone else (Miguel). I pieced it all together, but many others get the credit for the actual level building.

As for the levels themselves, yes they are different levels pieced together. However, I've tried to make it as seemless as possible and to at least give the illusion of one big world. For example, I've implemented a kind of LOD for actor ai. NPC's will move from one level to another just like the player and the ai will keep track of where they should appear in the level as they're walking or running from one location to another. It's pretty cool I think, and when I eventually release a demo to the community I'll likely release my code as well (unless I get a publisher who tells me not to).

The terrain is only 32x32 for individual "sub-levels". However, the entire first level of the game has about 9 of these outdoor "sub-levels". Not all the game levels will be this big though.