I agree with Loco. Whats needed is more of the BASICS understanding of structure, format, and what does what in its basics, taken from the standpoint that the reader knows zip about shaders.

I would think some sort up build up order to the process.
I know materials themselves are easier then shaders ( only so many variables to set with a basic material and shaders need the understanding of how to work the basic materials. so that would be a good place to start. covering each basic parameter and what they do.

then mabey fixed functions what are they, whats the differnace and how to progress from basic materials to fixed functions. what particular parameters, apsects make up a typical fixed function

then explian the matrix system ( or do this before fixed functions if this understanding is needed for fixed functions)

for shaders contiue with a list of normaly encountered parameters ( beyond whats seen in materials and fixed functions) and how each influance an effect.

I know thats allot to ask for, and writting something/explaining something isn't the same as knowing how to do it. its allot of work to write up soemthing and very time consuming but it would be extrodinatly helpful if the average user could look at an effect/shader and understand what it does and if soemthing needs to be tweaked ( and I see allot of questions and answers on exactly that "adjust the .... effect" "where do I do that?" ) they know where to look ahead of time.

btw steempipe. Im still trying to figure out that automaterials effect at times. why it makes everything in my level go black for those particular textures.