Perhaps, you might need some objects to help understand what I'm after? Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

This is a view of what I'm after. This is textured, by the way, and it took two hours to figure it out and it's still not perfect. If you want, you can download the model and see for yourself what I'm after. It's not exact, but fairly close In my case, the sun comes from due east and is 45 degrees above the horizon.

If I were to have separate planes, the vertex count would practically double (or quadruple in some cases). This would seriously harm the frame rate. Blocks appear correctly with the shading as they should. Blocks have what I call "hard gouraud shading". If you add the sun and have a bunch of blocks of all shapes and look at them after building, that's exactly what I want for models. The screenshot directly above is how blocks appear. The darkest side should be half as bright as the lightest side. I don't think I'm asking much.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials