Quote:

Hi,

I am considering GS for use in my hobby of "film" making using realtime game engines. To be able to utilise GS for this I need to be able to do the following things within GS:

1. Pause and save a screenshot without the engine thinking time has passed and making up for lost time (tweenings) - even better still, to be able to make the engine update without performing any "tweening" and such like OR for me to be able to tell the engine how much time has passed. - in other words I need the engine to be able to switch between being time driven and being frame driven

You can set the position of an object directly using my.x = 52; in a script. Yes, you can take screenshots as well then stitch them together to form a movie. If you add "*time" in the script, then the time passed will use "tweening", but if you add to the vector without using the *time at the end, you can set the position directly (and do a million frames per second if you wanted that way). If you need help, the community is always available plus the manual helps explain some of the stuff.

Quote:

2. change the aspect ratio of the camera

Not sure, but I believe you can. Someone ran into an issue where the 1280x1024 resolution (5:4 aspect ratio) was causing distortion issues compared to the normal 4:3 ratio used. This, however, only stretches it, but I'm sure you'll be able to figure out a way to get the standard 16:9 aspect ratio. I don't know how to do it myself though.

Quote:

I have tried other engines only to find they are unable to do what I want as they are (quite rightly so since they are game engines after all) tied into updating by time passed to overcome lag.

If anyone can answer this / point me to who can, I would be very appreciative

Thank you.
Timlon.

I have intentions on making movies myself, mainly to reproduce some of my over 250 dreams I have. You can certainly make animations (videos). You'll need a freeware program called Virtual Dub to stitch your movie together though from the bitmap images used.

Edit: try downloading the free trial version and see how 3DGS is for you. The link to it is at the top of the downloads page. The downloads page is found in the bunch of links at the bottom of this page.

Last edited by ulillillia; 10/27/05 10:03.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials