Quote:

Pay after publishing is pretty much the norm around these parts.

So is failure and vaporware...no coincidence there in my book.

Quote:

These nay-sayers are people who obviously won't take any risks, and you want to start at the top of the ladder.

Why would I want to take a risk that I am 99.99999% sure will come to pass? These projects always fail Blue...name me 2 3DGS projects started in the last year under this model that are ongoing, making steady progress, and look like they will be released soon...name 4 3DGS projects starting in the last FIVE years under the same criteria; I peronally can't think of any.

So what you call "not taking risks" I call "having good common sense".

Quote:

That's normal for indie development

Because most indie development is co-located and you have 3 to 5 friends that have known each other for years that get together every day to hack out the game with the promise of future riches. I don't know of any indie company the "recruits" under the pay-when-publish model.

In 3DGS on the other hand you have mostly remote teams and thus there is none of the face to face that normal indie dev has. You do not see the people in your team, you don't see the progress, you don't see the money, and you rarely see the "big picture" on a day to day basis and on top of this you are usually working with someone you have known for all of a few weeks. This is why 3DGS game development through the forums will alway fail if it's pay-when-publish because there is NO daily incentive to keep going or to do good work.