Quote:

it IS possible to do pay after play. Theres over a decade of indie development backing this, and by definition is what indie development is.

And my point is that during those 3 decades, all successful pay-after-pub were in-house teams. I can't think of a single non-3dgs, remote indie team that has put out a successful game.

The thing I'm trying to impress upon you is that 3DGS is a mostly remote team community. In the last 3 Decades, I can't think of a single remote-team made game that has been a success. I'm sure they are out there, but I could probably count their products on one hand.

You can't ignore the fact that most 3DGS teams are remote and created by people with little to no game or business experience. These facts add up to failure if attempting a commercial product.

Quote:

I don't think paying for work will quarantee a money making project any more than finding people to help for cheap or free.

Correct. Nothing can guarantee a hit. But money is the Oil the lubricates the development process and thus informed use of funds in a project (and not just throwing money around) will lead to a great chance that the project is COMPLETE...success is up to a whole other set of variables of which money invested is but one.

Quote:

I think if a person looks in the showcase forums and did some research, you'd see a lot of the successful teams are spread out.

I did and have and this is why I can say that there are few (if any) successful pay-after-publish development models in the 3DGS community.

Quote:

Too good to work for cheap? There's hundreds of people standing in line behind you that will.

Understand that this is a friendly thread and I want to keep it that way. However:
If you don't think you are worth getting paid for your efforts, most likely you aren't

The old adage "you get what you pay for" is extremely relevant in this case. There are a ton of people that are willing to work for free. Now ask yourself, if you had the talent to work for pay, why would you do it for free? Unless there is a compeling reason (ie the college buddy scenerio that is IMO the standar Indie model for the last 3 decades), a quality artist will not volunteer time that they could be making money on to create a project.

So who works for free in our society? People that aren't confident in their skills; people that are learning their skills; people who don't like to commit to deadlines and milestones...in short people that cannot possibly give you something a paid worker would give.

Quote:

It's one thing to say "You may wish to bring up the price of payment to get more interested people" and quite another to sit and argue with the poster why their post is rediculous.

I agree. Constructive critisism should be the only comment. Telling people why their post is absurd with nothing to back it up just makes the replier look immature and absurd.

Quote:

My point was not to be afraid to ask for cheap help. It's out there

I agree and I don't discourage people from seeking free help. But it's a law of nature that you will get more responses from talented and experienced individuals by offering some consideration than you will by offering none and it's also a law of nature that "you get what you pay for"

Thus the "free" model is great for learning (where quality and time are irrelevant) but poor for commerce (where quality, time, and money are very relevant).