Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, dpn), 1,328 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19053 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Who's not afraid of an RTS? [Re: mk_1] #62892
01/31/06 21:47
01/31/06 21:47
Michigan
ICEman Offline OP
Developer
ICEman  Offline OP
Developer

Michigan
Yup, mk_1, and that is why I imagine alot of coders shy away from it (I am working out a tech tree atm, in case you're wondering).

I'll do a cinematic demo once I've done all the modeling and finished the design document.. gotta handle one thing at a time .

I'm ICEman, and I approved this message.
Re: Who's not afraid of an RTS? [Re: ICEman] #62893
02/01/06 06:02
02/01/06 06:02
Wisconsin USA
FoxHound Offline
Expert
FoxHound  Offline
Expert

Wisconsin USA
Most projects made with 3dgs will never be finished. I shouldn't just say 3dgs as this is true with any engine. I've started several projects that died in the cradle as I lost interest in them. And if I don't have the interest to finish it how much interest will others have to play it?

Kept my interest in my current game, and people love it. So I think I have a pretty good system.

---------------------
There is no signature here.

QUIT LOOKING FOR ONE!
Re: Who's not afraid of an RTS? [Re: FoxHound] #62894
02/01/06 06:07
02/01/06 06:07
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
.. And if I don't have the interest to finish it how much interest will others have to play it? ...

this logic fails for me. i wasnt interested in making dinner yesterday. though everyone else was interested in eating it

as far as rts games are difficult to make:
kind of. they are code heavy. you said you fail to have some relyable coder?! so you are missing the most important part of it. seeing it from this point an rts to make will be very tricky for you.

on the other hand are rts games computer friendly and offer lots of optimization possibilities (like no other genre with that scale)

every thought of a heros of might and magic like rts? its kind of strategy but way much easier then rome or cīn c

maybe an option

cheers

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: Who's not afraid of an RTS? [Re: Blattsalat] #62895
02/01/06 06:38
02/01/06 06:38
Wisconsin USA
FoxHound Offline
Expert
FoxHound  Offline
Expert

Wisconsin USA
I never said I had problems with reliable coders. I'm the only coder I've every worked with. And I'm a total ass to work with let me tell ya!

I like the dinner joke and i see your humor.

As far as an RTS. I don't think I would have a problem making one. Wouldn't be anywhere near as quick as tower was to make, but i didn't work on tower 8 hours a day either.

---------------------
There is no signature here.

QUIT LOOKING FOR ONE!
Re: Who's not afraid of an RTS? [Re: FoxHound] #62896
02/01/06 06:47
02/01/06 06:47
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
i am not sure but wasnt iceman the one who was planing the rts game???

maybe i failed to be clear enough but the suggestions where ment for him

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: Who's not afraid of an RTS? [Re: Blattsalat] #62897
02/01/06 18:30
02/01/06 18:30
Michigan
ICEman Offline OP
Developer
ICEman  Offline OP
Developer

Michigan
this is true..and yes..it will be awesomely difficult for me to make an rts ( or any game for that matter) without a coder.. which is what I'm looking for.. ::sigh::.

@FoxHound

Yes..it would be quite depressing to actually see evry game in the hall of games that never finished . Fortunately, because I conceptualize and develop things before I start them and work them out until they are good ideas and i come up with designs for games that have my foot in them (proverbially), that never happens to me.

I think it happens to most teams because they group up with all skills present..but with no specific design..and they kinda guess until it makes a cohesive whole..which it seldom does if you make it up as you develop.

Recently, tho, I lost everything accept my PC to a housefire..including diskettes, and lots of hard drive data o_O somehow the PC survived but it corrupted and forced me to recover it. At least it didnt burn up..but all that work lost was um..disheartening to say the least ;_;.

Any..how..@Blaatsalat..Yes,

Coming up with a demo without a coder will be awesomely difficult..perhaps I will take a few months and learn C script..and take another few months and learn C++..then another few months to perfect knowledge of both..and then I'll be a grafiker AND coder.. and will never need to beg and plead for either, lol.

:: notices last comment::....@FoxHound.. Every programmer I've ever known had a lil ass to em, I have made my peace with that, lol. But the one I'm stuck with now is a greedy, concept coveting, project hijacking, ass.

He already stole one idea, (and is goung to ruin it because it's a huge concept..but he just has to make it more huge..and he'll do so until it ends up being a game 20 years in the making and so elaborate it'll need a 50 page game manual..which no one will want to read just tp play but you can't tell HIM that).

I could always steal it back, develop and publish it before he has a chance to xD..without all the extracurricular crap he put in, too. Ionno, I'm just sick of dealing with HIM. I'd like to get into game development without having to have my work coveted and ridiculously low profit shares.

I'm not letting him near this one or anyone following this, and this is why he must be replaced with a much more tame coder. Modeling, music, and animation is what I do.. because outside things relating to web development, I can't grasp real programming too well.. certainly not enough to do any sort of game.

Re: Who's not afraid of an RTS? [Re: ICEman] #62898
02/12/06 02:18
02/12/06 02:18
Southern California, USA
G
GhostwriterDoF Offline
GhostwriterDoF  Offline
G

Southern California, USA
Hello everyone I'm new to the 3dgs environment, and just a pilgrim in the new fangled internet world. However I have a bit of a background with programing and design. I hope to be developing my own designs, art and especially the coding of games, teaching myself every aspect, one little piece at a time.

Such doom and gloom in these posts do I see.

To Destruktor, I say to you don't feel sad if you cannot find a graphic artist. Keep looking, keep trying and if you must... learn to do the artwork yourself. Eventually, you will find or can become a modeller. Nothing worthwhile is easy.

ICEman, such trouble in your life and yet, you still continue to plan and create. If I was not so new to the environment I would offer assistance immediately, however I will be around and would be happy to work with someone like you, who can still love to create in the face of such misfortune.

You should drop that programmer ASAP, even if you have to give up the other project. Most likely it will end in failure, if for nothing else the "development environment" is working against you. Also consider if the coder is acting this way before revenues are earned it should indicate the possibilities of consequences that will most surely arise in the future.

When I mention failure I do not mean lost revenue. As Foxhound and mk_1 pointed out, to just complete a project is its own success. And this is what teams and individuals should strive for. Think about the income after you have a product to market.

Try to work with people who have vision, like yourself, they are out there. People who can live without piles of gold but, cannot live without dreams. I'll be around. In a year or two there won't be anything I won't be willing to try to code.

The best way to get the programmers interested is with a well layed out plan of the operations that will make up the world of your game. All aspects that you can think of, for example: rules of play, how the models and objects will interact with the terrain, what type of visual battle dynamics will be displayed... ect.

DONT post your entire plan online, this should be shared between you and your team. If you put everything up publicly then there will be no surprizes in releases of our games!

Your original post was good enough to get an RTS minded coder. You and your programmer should discuss what options are available for your design to be coded. The coder(s) and you will modify the plans with ideas to make it easier for them as well as discover new ideas to implement into the project.

Oh... do try to use simplicity as part of your artistic design. Resuability not only with coded modules but with model objects too, be creatively resourceful. Any theme, Japanese historic or otherwise, could potentially sell if the game is fun to play and easy to learn.

Your most humble, newly noob member
GW

Re: Who's not afraid of an RTS? [Re: GhostwriterDoF] #62899
02/18/06 02:35
02/18/06 02:35
Michigan
ICEman Offline OP
Developer
ICEman  Offline OP
Developer

Michigan
@ Ghostwriter

I do try my best .

In fact, functionality is the bulk of the design document I am working on.

Tho I am not a coder, I realize some of how they think, as applied to when they do work. So I can write for them at least intelligably.

I think you'll find this game to be.. not nearly as complex as your average RTS. The tech tree uses only one element of RTS unit development:

Since it's set in Feudal, almost preindistrial japan, there isnt alot of technology perse, but your units will be multifunctional by design, learning a number of skills, but being swordsman at the core. The way ive designed it, every unit type, with the possible acception of pikemen (theres another name but its a pikeman for all intents and purposes..), will retire whatever specialty weapon they have in use when the enemy gets within a certain distance and draws their sword to fight.

...because I want battles to develop a certain way such that it depends on the use and actual strategic implementation of the different units and I dont want dependency on certain units, or certain units being strong in one situation, cannon fodder in another.

Anyway, thanks for replying.. I am backstepping a little and concentrating on completing the document, but let me know if you're interested in working with me.

Re: Who's not afraid of an RTS? [Re: ICEman] #62900
02/18/06 04:55
02/18/06 04:55
Southern California, USA
G
GhostwriterDoF Offline
GhostwriterDoF  Offline
G

Southern California, USA
Thank you ICEman, if there is any way I can be of assistance I would be glad to help. Although I am limited to just ideas to offer at this point being so new to this medium. Simplified rules can be just as rewarding as complex systems.

I do have a great love of history and was at one time an expert in the real use of ancient weaponry from almost every culture and every era, Chinese weaponry primarily. This will help when I start doing my own animations hopefully.

It is good that you took the time to understand the programmers tools. It is the same reason I say to Destruktor to do some modelling. A simple understanding of all the parts of game development provides a better plan and ability to communicate concepts to the other members of a team.

3DGS offers aspiring designers the ability to learn all phases of development. Everyone should take advantage of this, so they can better understand and coordinate with their team member's needs and limitations.

The words I spoke about your programmer may seem harsh but, it is a cold reality and is not meant as an insult to him in any way. The root of conflict is often frustration. I may be new to 3D and C, but I've programmed in assembler in the past and have worked with many coders overseeing development.

The rivers of time erode away the mountains of existence...
Re: Who's not afraid of an RTS? [Re: GhostwriterDoF] #62901
02/20/06 04:29
02/20/06 04:29
Michigan
ICEman Offline OP
Developer
ICEman  Offline OP
Developer

Michigan
Oh trust me...I have a number of cruel words for him myself, lol.

Anyway tho, I'm jsut focusing on the document, and then emptying my wallet so i can produce a video animation demo.. before I say anything else about it as far as drafting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  checkbutton, Inestical, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de