Quote:

The same could happen with physics chips. They get incorporated into graphic cards or mother boards. Some "freaks" will buy extra cards but not the standard user.

This is a more likely solution, although it will be harder to justify a physics chip on the mother board of a "normal" PC. Windows uses sound for Word, Vista uses 3D graphics, but unless Vista-2 requires physics to move the icons around, I think physics chips will probably be part of high-end graphics cards.

Quote:

But how easy would it be to integrate such hardware gpu phyisics into ODE, Newton or other affordable solutions?

Good thinking. Newton is closed, but ODE is an open source solution. You can check on their website, I would be surprised if somebody isn't working on a ODE on GPU solution (if not, you should start one ).

I'd really like to see ODE take off. There needs to be more open source tools and libraries for game development if indies want to stay "in the game". I also don't like putting too much effort into a solution that may go away overnight. If PhysX doesn't have some major success in the next year, they will be quickly forgotten.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI