Quote:

But if it relativism isn't absolute, then what good is it? The opposite of relativism is absolutism. So if relativism isn't absolutely true, then why isn't absolutism absolutely true?

Don't get confused by using the same words over and over again.

Absolutism might be the opposite of relativism linguistically, that still doesn't prove it actually exists, it's just that we made up what it's opposition would be called.

Relativism can't be absolute, it would have had to be called absolutism instead in that case, and it's not. Why would something be absolutely true? Is it possible to even determine what's truth and what's not beyond any reasonable doubt? I'd say truth itself is 100% relative, stating something is true is relative, it all depends on the gathered knowledge and know-how.

I simply know relativism exists, it's everywhere. The amount of knowledge (in general and individually), (linked) events/action/reaction, chance, choices, emotions, language, intelligence, perspectives. There's no absolute in any of those, it's really all relative. The fact that all is relative is not absolute, and this is not contradicting at all, even if it may seem so.

Quote:

I beg to differ. We have a lot of absolute truths 'hard coded' into the universe. I don't think random chance can create everything, including random chance. We have mathematics, logic, and laws (etc) that are absolute. I think that's the reflection of an absolute, and consistent, creator.

No, mathematics, laws and logic are all based upon compromises, we have agreed upon those rules, those agreements are relative. Just because we've decided 2 + 2 = 4, doesn't mean it's actually true. It's IS true when we follow are own made rules. Without these rules, mathematics would be rather pointless, hence the rules's existance.

Exactly the same goes for logic. A bit more complicated though, because it's based upon learned rules mixed with 'reason', both can determine once's "logic" (you may not always agree with those 'learned rules', in that case 'reason' tells you to think different, IF you are using your brains and don't think like the big masses ).

There are more kinds of logic too by the way, again it's very relative.

Quote:

This has been a rather illuminating discussion.

I see, however prove to me absolute things exist. You will find out it's impossible. The only thing that may be absolute, is it's non-existance hahahaha,

Quote:

What about time and the universe is relative? Does the universe not exist?

It's subject to a constant change, so no it's definately not absolute in any way whatsoever.

Cheers

Last edited by PHeMoX; 09/14/06 18:31.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software