Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,534 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Reasons to use A6 in professional product? [Re: Grimber] #88371
09/01/06 18:49
09/01/06 18:49
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline OP
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline OP
Serious User

San Francisco
Nice one Grimber

Yeah I guess its a matter of calculating tradeoffs.

I'm pretty pleased with what A6 can do when used with good modelling software, artwork and code.

C-Script really does compile, right? So would it run faster than Lua or Python? It's really light and quick, it seems. Maybe it's just prejudice -- maybe I am worried if I were to present a game prototype to a publisher or similar, I would be a little to reluctant to say it was made with the gamestudio engine, just out of fear that they'd think it's too low end or something. I guess if the end product is good enough, who gives a damn right?

But I myself see it generally being pretty high end-- well, except for octree/shadows/lightmaps/scene management-- stuff announced for A7, but is it wise to count on those features working well before they are released? After all, it wasn't till about 6.4 that polymesh collision started working well enough.

I think I read an interview with jcl way back when A6 came out that said something like "A6 engine is powerful enough even for an AAA game, even something like Jak and Daxter could be made with it". (referring to the engine, not wed/med)

Anyone agree /disagree?

Re: Reasons to use A6 in professional product? [Re: HeelX] #88372
09/01/06 19:01
09/01/06 19:01
A
Alberto Offline
Alberto  Offline
A

For professional applications, I dont' know, being an amateur
The reason why I have chosen 3dgs after testing 4 - 5 other engines , it is thanks to its perfect balance
Some other engines can be better for some specific tasks, but if you are looking for a mutipurpose engine I dont see honestly any competitor

I am also interested in BV , it is already a great engine but if the development team keep their promises it can become the best one for Indie developers

Getting back to the original topic, I asked a question , sometime ago

Can you guess which game engine has been used for game development, just playing the game ?

Actually , it seems it is possible but just for details

The main reason for using a game engine is, in my opinion, "Time savings" rather than the final results, unless you are targeting on some specific features ( graphics effects, phisics etc)

From this point of view 3dgs is still the best choice, in my opinion

Re: Reasons to use A6 in professional product? [Re: Alberto] #88373
09/01/06 19:42
09/01/06 19:42
US
G
Grimber Offline
Expert
Grimber  Offline
Expert
G

US
every engine will be 'behind in the technology'. Becuase even good teams of programmers can't keep up with the advances in hardware.

In my opinion 3DGS only real weak area is the age of its fore interface
(panels, text handling and other 2D displays elements) these havn't kept pace with the rest of the advancements and changes to the rest of the package.

I see complaints about lighting and shadows and shading or model on model collision problems. but all these people forget that the engine is STILL a BSP engine yet and so many of its fundamentals will be optimzed for BSP operations. As the transion to octree continues, many of the 'complained about/for' elements will take be taken care of. It's not an overnight process, its re-write to implement new without sacrificing the old at the same time and not creating more complications/conflicts then the addition was worth.

Re: Reasons to use A6 in professional product? [Re: Grimber] #88374
09/02/06 01:12
09/02/06 01:12
Ukraine
Lion_Ts Offline
Serious User
Lion_Ts  Offline
Serious User

Ukraine
Quote:

There are more crap games being produced now then games that ran on them none up to date machines.

From time to time I install old good StarCraft. Play 1-2 hours and uninstall it. I don't know, may be it's nostalgia...
Quote:

In my opinion 3DGS only real weak area is the age of its fore interface
(panels, text handling and other 2D displays elements) these havn't kept pace with the rest of the advancements and changes to the rest of the package.

Yes, I hate panel/text/digit/button 3dgs way. Making dropdown scrollable listbox or right mouse button clicked buttons is a real pain-in-ass. (From other side, look at amazing TripleX work with panels in LevelEditor )
3dgs like old good armchair. Inconveniently on it to sit, but you continue to do it. Because in the rest it arranges you. And has got used...

Re: Reasons to use A6 in professional product? [Re: Lion_Ts] #88375
09/02/06 04:53
09/02/06 04:53
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Quote:

There are more crap games being produced now then games that ran on them none up to date machines.

off topic, but has anyone here ever played pocket tanks, that took three schools ive been to by storm, and even now many of my friend ask once in a while if im up for an ass kicking, (doesnt usually happem, not to brag or anything )

Re: Reasons to use A6 in professional product? [Re: lostclimate] #88376
09/02/06 09:19
09/02/06 09:19
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

From other side, look at amazing TripleX work with panels in LevelEditor

I'm in regular contact with him and I swear, its no magic trick. It could be painful even with nasty tricks to do his menus... copy&paste.. modifying.. copy&paste.. modifying.. (*choke*)

I thought about a window renderer yesterday evening, if it would be faster or so if you write your own window-renderer. So you could define your windows as XML file or so and a script parser runs through it and renders everything into a bitmap. So you could do really horny things muhahaha

seriously, I wouldnt even hesitate to use cscript for this. Before _I_ define 100 panels to simulate a window with checkboxes and so on I would write it on my own.. by the way: its good that Johann implemented that checkbox emulation... but we are far away from a good GUI toolkit/toolset here.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de