Quote:

im actually planning to work hard at this and make a game. mabey even publish it

I am going to tell you know, it will take you several months, probably years, to learn enough to publish a game. If you are willing to work at it it, then that is good. However, dont expect too much within the first few months, especially if this is your first look at game design.

Since you didnt really give me anything as far as criteria or expectations, it is a good engine all around. It handels both indoor and outdoor levels nicely, and is indeed good for the beginner designer, because it is a package of all the major tools you will need to get started, aside from perhaps photoshop.

However, it has its downfalls. It is not as fast as commercial engines, but indie engines rarely are. Also, if you buy the standard edition, you are fairly limited; you can see all of the specs on the gamestudio website.

For publishing, you can do this with any version. However, unless you buy pro (800$ i think), you cant compress your files into one executable file. This means anyone can open, modify, and rebuild your game. However, there are ways to get around this. There are 3rd party compressors, and you can scramble your code so that it is extreamly hard to read.

Also, if you buy the standard edition, you must display a small wattermark, A6, in one of the corners throughout the game.

Hope this helps,
Raddaddy

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." Sir Francis Bacon www.deckscapedesign.com