Executing Trades on Next Bar Open
by vicknick. 06/13/24 08:51
Zorro Beta 2.61: PyTorch
by jcl. 06/10/24 14:42
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (monarch), 1,259 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19059 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #93212
10/06/06 14:15
10/06/06 14:15
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
Thanks for the info, I was thinking about getting the A6Pro for $899. I just want to make sure I get the right software for what I want to create. Don't want to waste time by half way through the project realizing that it can't be done unless I use a different tool.
I have heard of C++, and Java...the big question is how big is the learning curve.

Some of the screenshots on this Forum are incredible, would a character in such a detailed environment be as detailed using Gamestudio A6Pro?

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Noob65] #93213
10/06/06 15:15
10/06/06 15:15
Nashua New Hampshire
anonymous_alcoho Offline
Senior Developer
anonymous_alcoho  Offline
Senior Developer

Nashua New Hampshire
Quote:

Some of the screenshots on this Forum are incredible, would a character in such a detailed environment be as detailed using Gamestudio A6Pro?

A6 Pro cannot make characters, but it can display them, so yes. But a detailed character in a detailed environment would run slower and would possibly not work on lower-end machines, depending on the level of detail. There is a balance between level of detail and the speed of the game (FPS). You want an FPS minimum of 30 so your level of detail cannot exceed what would produce a game of less than 30 FPS otherwise it begans to be choppy. Example, a forest with 10000 low-polygon trees may run at 30 FPS. But a forest of 10000* high poly trees won't. A forest of 40 high poly trees might run at 30FPS but a forest of 1000 high poly trees will not. Its a balance between the number of models, the number of polygons in the model, the number of particals and the number of running functions and many other factors against the frame rate. The design of the game is based around getting a framerate of 30 fps or higher. If your framerate drops and begans to lag, you have to start sacrificing detail, reducing the particle effects, using fewer entities, and so on and so forth. Search for the "What Makes A Good FPS" thread that I posted about a month or so ago.

*note, the numbers are just randomly from the top of my head. They aren't tested, just there to give a general idea. actual limit of models is 4096.

"Oh no, it's true! I'm a love magnet!" Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes My name's Anonymous_Alcoholic.
Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: anonymous_alcoho] #93214
10/06/06 15:28
10/06/06 15:28
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
Again great info..thanks. So what software do you recommend to create characters with? I assume the bone rendering type is the way to go.

When it comes to details in game, can't a settings menu be used for the end user to adjust details to fit his/her machine. Looking at America's Army game again, they have a very detailed settings menu to adjust various effects.

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Noob65] #93215
10/06/06 15:49
10/06/06 15:49
Nashua New Hampshire
anonymous_alcoho Offline
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Nashua New Hampshire
Quote:

can't a settings menu be used for the end user to adjust details to fit his/her machine. Looking at America's Army game again, they have a very detailed settings menu to adjust various effects

Yes, with good programming, settings can be modified by the user. This will broaden the number of machines that can run the game. However, the balance of detail/framerate still applies. Allowing the player to set those settings is simply a strategy to try to balance the ratio on a specific computer.

I use gameSpace but its a somewhat buggy program and its complicated. But its free (for low-poly models, 650 faces or less) and if you can figure out how to use it and remember to save after every few steps, its pretty good. 299 for the full deal which has no restrictions.

Most professionals use 3ds Max but last I check, the price was in the range of $3500. There is also Maya and Blender and Wings3d to consider. All of which can be used with Gamestudio provided that you have the proper plugin which can be found if you ask on the forum or search the d-load page.

"Oh no, it's true! I'm a love magnet!" Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes My name's Anonymous_Alcoholic.
Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: anonymous_alcoho] #93216
10/06/06 16:12
10/06/06 16:12
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
Thanks again,

A plug-in, what is that? Is that some type of bridge software to import/export parts? Reading the Forum have opened up a whole new world of lingo that I can't understand. Trying catch up and I think I got a grip on a great deal of it, but there are a lot of new things.

I looked at the Maya software and like their renditions of characters. Is there any pro's and con's I should be aware of in this field of software? A6Pro, as far as I can see so far seems to be the best program out there. Or is there any one who knows of anything better. I don't mind paying for the software as long as it does what I want it to. Of course I'm not going to spend a fortune on it, but a descent amount if it's fair game.

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Noob65] #93217
10/06/06 16:27
10/06/06 16:27
US
G
Grimber Offline
Expert
Grimber  Offline
Expert
G

US
one thing is do NOT expect a model you make/see in Maya or Lightwave or another modeling program to look the same in a game engine.

these tools have differnt methods of rendering ( drawing) the object. its not unusualy to see people comment that they made a model in such-in-such modeling package but by the time they got it into an engine it didn't look the same.

terminology/lingo isn't too hard to pick up, what DOES take time is skill AND the uderstanding of the principles of developing a game and the work involved.
It's not just click a few options and select an object here or there and presto you have a game.

think of this analogy. you get an engine and a car frame and a bunch of misclanious parts you ahve no idea what they are for or what they do. then you get some stock fiberglass, sheetmetal, bulk steel and aluminum and allot of other raw materials. rent or buy a shop. get many tools many fo which you many or may not have ever used or even know how to use. Now, go build a formula 1 race car. If you don;t know how, well you get help or you take allot of time learning and practicing to build up the knowlage and skills to even BEGIN to make a car. you may have to build several go carts and other easier cars before you are ready to tackle that formula 1.

thats sort of like what independant game development is.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Grimber] #93218
10/06/06 17:05
10/06/06 17:05
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
Thanks for your input, it was very helpful.
I think I understand the complexity of the programming even if I don't have the knowledge to create anything yet. I get your point of starting small to get used to the ins and outs. I think I can use that approach with my idea and build from that.
I think the user interface I want is the hardest part, since it's suppose to be a multiplayer on-line game.
Anyone know how to create individual profiles? I guess menu based would be the easiest way.

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Grimber] #93219
10/06/06 18:47
10/06/06 18:47
Nashua New Hampshire
anonymous_alcoho Offline
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Nashua New Hampshire
Quote:

one thing is do NOT expect a model you make/see in Maya or Lightwave or another modeling program to look the same in a game engine.

Nonetheless, you can expect it to look good in the engine and it can be refined via shaders.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: anonymous_alcoho] #93220
10/06/06 19:20
10/06/06 19:20
NC, USA
Noob65 Offline OP
Noob65  Offline OP

NC, USA
I'm trying to figure one thing out that have bugged me. You say A6Pro can't create characters only display them. Why do they have a bone animator if they can't create? So you need a software like Maya to create and then import that to A6 so it can display it?

Thanks for any clarifications.

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 [Re: Noob65] #93221
10/06/06 19:32
10/06/06 19:32
Nashua New Hampshire
anonymous_alcoho Offline
Senior Developer
Senior Developer

Nashua New Hampshire
A6 Pro can create characters in MED. Sorry about the misunderstanding. I was thinking about WED. However, MED isn't very powerful. IMHO, I hate MED. But med can be used for modeling. In WED, you place the model, and after you compile the level, the engine will show the model when its in view of the level's camera.

MED can create models (characters, tanks, guns, etc) but WED cannot. As Grimber said in another forum, WED is used to build the level and put everything together (scripts, models, levels, etc) and MED is used to create models/terrains.

Last edited by anonymous_alcoho; 10/06/06 19:33.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de