Quote:

can't a settings menu be used for the end user to adjust details to fit his/her machine. Looking at America's Army game again, they have a very detailed settings menu to adjust various effects

Yes, with good programming, settings can be modified by the user. This will broaden the number of machines that can run the game. However, the balance of detail/framerate still applies. Allowing the player to set those settings is simply a strategy to try to balance the ratio on a specific computer.

I use gameSpace but its a somewhat buggy program and its complicated. But its free (for low-poly models, 650 faces or less) and if you can figure out how to use it and remember to save after every few steps, its pretty good. 299 for the full deal which has no restrictions.

Most professionals use 3ds Max but last I check, the price was in the range of $3500. There is also Maya and Blender and Wings3d to consider. All of which can be used with Gamestudio provided that you have the proper plugin which can be found if you ask on the forum or search the d-load page.

"Oh no, it's true! I'm a love magnet!" Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes My name's Anonymous_Alcoholic.