by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (TipmyPip, AndrewAMD, Quad, aliswee, degenerate_762), 970 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Do Not Read This Thread (videos and screens) #173549
12/18/07 12:35
12/18/07 12:35
Australia
DavidLancaster Offline OP
User
DavidLancaster  Offline OP
User

Australia
The first thing everyone wants to see in a showcase thread:

I present to you the combat code I've been working on since September 2007:

Glorious combat commentary

This hasn't been an overnight transformation of my skills it's been hard work for several years, since publishing Axys I've worked on a few other things which involve quite a similar mechanic. Something I forgot to mention was the head/torso turning towards friendly and enemy combatants. I'm also keen to implement the soft shadow code JCL recently spoke of, I need to have a look at his code more but if anyone has a working demo I'd love to get my hands on it. Does it work in c-script?

Does anyone remember Biyu Biyu Rocket (BBR) and the highly esteemed Eric Nadeau? Both myself and Eric loving TP when it was first released last year, wanted to develop a game which involved a mechanic similar to Ocarina. We worked hard on it for around 6 months but it never came to completion because we simply didn't have the resources to obtain the character models with animations of a quality that would work. We ended up using alot of BBR resources which Kalin magnificantly made. You may see the trailer we put together here:

David and Eric prototype

In an effort to make something from nothing, I managed to use the resources from this project and attempted a quick casual game. The state of the actual game at this point in time will remain unknown however you may view some footage of it here:

2D Action RPG trailer

Vincent Foster, aka AlienHeretic is a great modeller/animator with reasonable rates, he has allowed me to use many of his resources in developing this combat code and I recommend his services to anyone wanting.

Loopix is a fantastic contributor on these forums and I'd like to thank him for his trees, grass and MistyMood contributions especially.

Ventilator is always a favourite of mine, he made the lightmapping and supertrace plugin and he's a hero for that.

My advice to anyone new to using gamestudio, if you post your work on this forum it will be criticised and there's nothing you can do about it. If your first project is the worst looking in the entire world then you have achieved and created something. There are two outlooks on one's work that I tend to see crop up, one is a blind sense of achievement, it's when some people really believe that the 'bad' work they've produced is God's gift to mankind, and the other is when you post your work and your first feedback is negative it's easy to feel like giving up, thinking that what you've achieved is worth the crits given to it.

In one breath you don't want to blindly believe that your work is great and really isn't, it really shows when someone believes that. On the other hand don't get down about the crits and what your work fails to be. It's about comparing your work, when you compare your first game project to commercial products out there it simply doesn't meet the standard. You got to realise that gaining the skills and experience to produce the level of quality you see in commercial games takes alot of time, frustration and hard work. Everytime you work on something new don't look at what it fails to be but look at what you've achieved and learnt, because as long as you keep trying and keep learning you will keep getting better and better and that is the path to success. You have to believe in yourself because it is highly unlikely the people around you will.

These are some older projects I worked on a while ago and hence a lower quality showcase.

Turnbased combat prototype

Oblivion interaction prototype

I wanted to make a physics interaction with objects similar to Oblivion, however at the time A6 physics engine wasn't perfect and objects that were too thin or too small easily fell through geometry. Using some Frank Geppert models

The worst game I ever made:

Re: Do Not Read This Thread (videos and screens) [Re: DavidLancaster] #173550
12/18/07 12:46
12/18/07 12:46
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
Your 2D RPG Game is one of the coolest i've ever seen here. It kinda reminds me of the old Castlevania games and i loved it.

It looks fast with many effects. Do you still work on this? Is it finish? If yes, where can i get it?

I don't care about the rest in your topic now only the Side-Scroller

My Blog

"Tag und Nacht schrei ich mich heiser,
Wind weht alle Worte fort,
Tag und Nacht schrei ich mein Krähenwort!"

Subway To Sally - Krähenkönig
Re: Do Not Read This Thread (videos and screens) [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #173551
12/18/07 15:48
12/18/07 15:48
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
The forum rules forbid to say simply 'great!' and such. So, I have to think about to write something useful! I can't!

Instead of useful feedbacks:

I'm envious! You achieved soooo much!
My unavoidable general questions:
Are you already making a living from it?
How much time did you spend on it?
For instance, how many people and how many hours have been needed for the 2d action RPG?

Re: Do Not Read This Thread (videos and screens) [Re: DavidLancaster] #173552
12/18/07 16:18
12/18/07 16:18
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Wow! A big bunch of really cool projects you've got there, it's pretty obvious you've got a great team (and actually get things done ). Lol, it's funny, because I really like the main tune of Rebel Planet, but I don't quite like the idea/story behind it for being Christian with the pre-flood stuff and so on. But it might be one of the few 3dgs games I'll actually buy when it comes out (did you already fully switch to another engine by the way? I think I vaguely recall that you were looking into other engines.).

Anyways, all that's left to say is keep doing what you do, because it's looking GOOD,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Do Not Read This Thread (videos and screens) [Re: Pappenheimer] #173553
12/18/07 16:19
12/18/07 16:19
Finland
Ambassador Offline
Serious User
Ambassador  Offline
Serious User

Finland
Your stuff always looks and feels so innovative David! =D Good job!

Re: Do Not Read This Thread (videos and screens) [Re: Pappenheimer] #173554
12/18/07 17:38
12/18/07 17:38
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
Your work is awesome. You'll most likely land on huge slot, if you haven't done so yet

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: Do Not Read This Thread (videos and screens) [Re: Ambassador] #173555
12/18/07 18:12
12/18/07 18:12
Antwerp,Belgium
frazzle Offline
Expert
frazzle  Offline
Expert

Antwerp,Belgium
Great combat system on the first video, quite advanced thus flexible
The Oblivion based video made me think that you were really playing Oblivion, in other words, the result pays off for 100% !!
And final, your TP based project is just amazing too, how can we criticize if there isn't anything that can be criticized ^^
If you don't take a step inside the game business, I'll personally contact Satoru Iwata myself to come and located you

Cheers

Frazzle

Antec® Case
Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® i7 975 Quad Core
8 GB RAM DDR3
SSD OCZ®-VERTEX2 3.5 x4 ; HD 600 GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 295 Memory 1795GB
Re: Do Not Read This Thread (videos and screens) [Re: frazzle] #173556
12/18/07 18:34
12/18/07 18:34
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Geeze David! That's amazing =) What a difference from the first game you showed.

Re: Do Not Read This Thread (videos and screens) [Re: JetpackMonkey] #173557
12/18/07 20:09
12/18/07 20:09
ch
Loopix Offline
User
Loopix  Offline
User

ch
David is a genius His will is so strong and his brain so clever that he can create AAA-games using a BBB-engine

Re: Do Not Read This Thread (videos and screens) [Re: Loopix] #173558
12/18/07 20:17
12/18/07 20:17
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
To bad you didnt allow to read the thread.. anyways, some of the pics look really cool and the actions , too... at least you didnt forbid to look at the vids and pics

www.earthcontrol.de
quoted: We want to maintain a clean, decent, American family suited forum look... which means you may post zombies or chainsaw massacres, but no erotic.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de