ph_poly bogus on 6.4 PRO

Posted By: _ex_

ph_poly bogus on 6.4 PRO - 12/21/06 17:10

I have a simple cube over the floor using the POLY flag:
Code:

phent_settype(ent_poly, PH_RIGID, PH_POLY);
phent_setmass(ent_poly, 0.5, PH_POLY);

this code works on 6.31 but on 6.4 the cube sinks on the floor.
I have a simple project test to reproduce this bug.
Any ideas?
Posted By: jcl

Re: ph_poly bogus on 6.4 PRO - 12/21/06 17:29

http://manual.conitec.net/phent_settype.htm

"Do not use PH_POLY for moving entities."

The reason is that neither the physics engine, nor the collision engine supports collisions between two polygonal entities. You'll find details in the collision chapter.

Re: ph_poly bogus on 6.4 PRO - 12/21/06 22:11

This paragraph is new, it wasn't on my manual. (The last I could find on the download site)
But as you see I can use it on the 6.31 version. I need to simulate bowling pines, a cylinder doesn't make it.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: ph_poly bogus on 6.4 PRO - 12/21/06 22:29

Perhaps a nice physics primitive addition would be a 'cone' shape? (a cylinder with on one side a point) This would be sufficient enough for bowling pins I think and still be faster than a poly precise physics object,

Cheers

Re: ph_poly bogus on 6.4 PRO - 12/21/06 23:01

If it works on 6.31... Is safe to use this version?
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: ph_poly bogus on 6.4 PRO - 12/22/06 06:03

Did you try the A6.50.2? You can find it in the updates/announcements forum, perhaps that version works too. I'd recommend using the most recent version, a bit depending on how soon you are going to release your project, but I would choose A6.40 over A6.31,

Cheers
Posted By: jcl

Re: ph_poly bogus on 6.4 PRO - 12/22/06 08:49

No, I'm afraid it is NOT safe to use PH_POLY on moving objects with version 6.31. The manual paragraph was indeed missing in previous manuals, but poly<->poly collisions were also not supported in earlier versions, although they might have behaved differently. They aren't supported in 6.50 either.
Posted By: fogman

Re: ph_poly bogus on 6.4 PRO - 12/26/06 12:23

So Iīve to ask:
For what the heck is ph_poly implemented then? You donīt need a physical object that doesnīt move at all...
Than I canīt understand why it works perfectly with 6.31. Even more I canīt understand why it wonīt work with 6.40.5 and above. I canīt understand these restrictions, because in some situations it works.
But you should let the user decide, if he wants to use a feature or not. When Iīve encountered problems, Iīve used a workaround. But at many cases it works just perfectly (under 6.31).

With this behaviour "ph_poly" is completely useless.

Please note: Iīm NOT talking about poly <--> poly collision, but about poly <--> levelblocks or static polygonal models.
Because Iīve trouble with these collisions as well. The entities are falling through the floor sometimes.
The threatstarter doesnīt use moving objects, too. Just a polygonal cube above the floor. But the floor doesnīt move!

Sometimes I think that you wonīt believe, that there are any bugs in Gamestudio. Take the c_trace bug as example. BS_Twinbits needs two posts and very long explainations to make you believe that thereīs a bug.
Not a good PR, if you ask me. Itīs a bit arrogant, at least it looks like this.
Posted By: indiGLOW

Re: ph_poly bogus on 6.4 PRO - 12/30/06 15:44

Got to say I find this new development somewhat worrying.

I have used PH_POLY before under the illusion that it was working fine, in most cases with nothing that appeared to be wrong. I recently posted some quiries about this bcz ph_POLY was behaving wierdly, now it seems this is bcz PH_POLY never really worked and certainly doesn't with the later versions of A6...

TBH This makes no sense to me at all.

Models set to polygon=on, react with physics correctly already, or at least they seem too. So what point is the ph_POLY???

Ok lets try and look at this with some clarity.

I have an object, lets say a mushroom shape, I can either use PH_SPHERE, PH_BOX or maybe PH_CYLINDER but not POLY? So none of these physics shapes suits my model, and the only one that would is unavailable.

I have to say If this is the case, I completely agree with Fogman, and I now have some major concerns after spending 14 months developing something that I now find is not actually possible in A6 despite having test environments that I did 18-24 months ago before embarking on this latest project.

Can I ask, why is PH_POLY not available? Personally I was hoping to put togethether a system that used a low-poly collision hull set to PH_POLY with attached high_poly models, to save collision processing time and improve performance... but now I find I can only use fundemental poly shapes...

What on earth am i going to do with my UH-60 for collisions now???

I look forward to reading the responses from Conitec and the community about this matter with interest.
© 2024 lite-C Forums