enet

Posted By: lostclimate

enet - 03/10/07 00:49

has anyone tried using an enet dll for multiplayer, if so what are the results, i ask because it seems incredibly easy to use, and might be cool to play with.
Posted By: giorgi3

Re: enet - 03/10/07 12:40

Ok, I give up... what's enet? I can't find it anywhere. Got a link?

Re: enet - 03/10/07 16:02

http://enet.cubik.org/

it is a networking engine
Posted By: khanoftruth

Re: enet - 03/10/07 18:09

I will try it out. Thanks.
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: enet - 03/10/07 19:32

Doesn't "seem" to offer anything more than 3DGS Pro MP.
Might be a good solution for sub-Pro licenses though...

Re: enet - 03/10/07 19:44

well sub pro, and it uses udp instead of directplay, so i might have the "stability" that everyone says is missing in 3dgs.

Re: enet - 03/10/07 19:58

DPlay can do both TCP and UDP. 3DGS switched to a pure UDP implemenation after 6.4.

A more accurate statement is that it uses winsock instead of Dplay which would make sense since it's so low level application.
Posted By: D3D

Re: enet - 03/10/07 20:15

Browsed their website, viewed the tutorial and the code looks very clean. I do not yet understand enough howto use this with Lite-C though.

Re: enet - 03/10/07 20:27

well 3dgs can dll's too and thats what im thinking of using it with, and thank your fastlane for clearing that issue up would it still be worth looking into, also, what about making lobbies and stuff like that, it seems like it be difficult to do that with 3dgs's functions

Re: enet - 03/10/07 20:45

Lobbies in my opinion are actually easy. This is the way I have thought it could be done.

You have a central web server that lists all active games. You can join any active game at which point you are given the session_name and IP and you session_connect to it.

Now, if you actually start a game, you would start your server and connect to the webserver and upload your info such as session name, IP, maximum number of players, etc. Once the webserver has that info, the server just waits and perform mutual updates to make sure that if a player joins the 3DGS server, teh webserver gets that knowledge.

Once the game is full, the webserver would know (since it's been "ticking" off clients as it joins) but the 3DGS server could also send a "game full" message at which point no one else is allowed in and the game starts.

When the game ends, the 3DGS server sends the game results back to the web server which can then keep a leaderboard or maybe reopen the game up.

Basically, since the web-to-3dgs server communication is controlled and sporadic and totally text (or number) based, this is much easier than custom content which is not controlled and continuous.

Re: enet - 03/10/07 21:37

I didn't know that you could multiplayer in light c.

Re: enet - 03/10/07 22:32

You can't yet but it's in the works (no idea when though).
Posted By: D3D

Re: enet - 03/11/07 22:35

Maybe i'm wrong, but with the standard/extra edition you can't do multiplayer games? The free Lite-C version is based on one of these two. However, if you buy A7 commercial you get Lite-C for free (in the package) and it should be feature comparable with your gamestudio edition.

Re: enet - 03/12/07 00:43

well if you use enet, you can do multiplayer with those two editions
Posted By: TWO

Re: enet - 03/12/07 00:46

And if you wait 2 or 3 days you can have a MP plugin which has features like in wow, without all the winsock sh!t.

Re: enet - 03/12/07 00:54

???? you making a new one? thanks in advance if so

Re: enet - 03/12/07 10:25

You want to let us all now when it comes out? Thanks. I have been reading your other posts, and your DLL looks to be great.
Posted By: r00tsh3ll

Re: enet - 03/13/07 15:48

Enet rules
It doesnt offer any "higher level multiplayer gadgets" (like solving stuff that should be solved with some dead reckoning alike scripts) its basicly a UDP lib for transporting packets across net. It does have some nice things that UDP libs usualy dont have. Was created for one FPS game and it offers decent performace for that job.
Posted By: TWO

Re: enet - 03/15/07 18:49

Maybe you want to take a look at this page. There are the most avaible development libarays, including network libs, listed.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: enet - 03/16/07 17:53

Hey nice list, thanks!

Cheers
© 2024 lite-C Forums