multiple breakable items

Posted By: Memphis

multiple breakable items - 08/20/07 17:12

hi, wasnt too sure whether to post here, but anyhow... i've a couple of questions i didnt find answers to here in the forums...

i'd like to be able to create shattering glass.. ie windows and shelving... but also the other question is multiple objects, if for example there is 5 boxes on top of glass shelves, and the shelves are shattered, what is the best way of simulating gravity... baring in mind, there could be 20 shelves with maybe 30+ boxes in total....

any advice, and help would be appreciated, thanks in advance...
Posted By: HeelX

Re: multiple breakable items - 08/20/07 17:23

There are several ways to simulate shattering glass. It all depends on the degree of realism you are looking for. I will explain one method which is easy to do and looks still good:

• create your table (or window) as two seperate entities: the table itself and the glass plate as seperate model. Arrange them in WED so that they fit together.
  • Take the glassplate and save it as seperate file. Cut the glass plate into pieces, but keep them together (just slice the polygons)
  • there is a explosion plugin in Milkshape, which can shatter polygons away. Load the slice glas plate into Milkshape (or any other modeler which supports such a feature) and play with the values (explosion point, flying direction, speed, rotation, etc.). The plugin will create an animation for you. The more frames you will use, it will look smoother and more realistic
  • save the animated file as MDL file
  • when it comes the time to shatter glass, morph the glassplate into the sliced and animated glassplate
  • play the animation and start other effects. Maybe you can add/spawn glass shatters under the table
  • make the animated plate passable so that the boxes can pass through the table (make the table polygoncollision enabled)
  • you can script the box physics, use newton or the A6 physics engine or fully script the box behaviour (prescripted)

I hope this gets you started

Ciao - Christian

Re: multiple breakable items - 08/20/07 18:02

hi, thanks for that, interesting technique

is there a way of removing surfaces of the window, ie deleting polygons from the window?

i'm not to worried about the animation as of yet.... thanks again

Re: multiple breakable items - 08/22/07 14:16

anyone with any ideas if it is possible to remove single polygons from models?
Posted By: HeelX

Re: multiple breakable items - 08/22/07 16:57

Quote:

This is not possible.

Re: multiple breakable items - 08/22/07 17:40

ok thanks, maybe i will jus have to use the method you posted thanks, unless there is any other ways of removing parts of the window, ie such effects like in half life 2 games, shooting out glass... thanks anyways
Posted By: Edgecrusher

Re: multiple breakable items - 08/30/07 05:26

Quote:

Speaking of this reminds me of the glass in Half Life 2. Anyone got a clue how they did that?
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: multiple breakable items - 08/30/07 16:37

Perhaps by writing black holes in the alphachannel of glass model
Posted By: Metal_Man

Re: multiple breakable items - 08/31/07 07:24

when hit, the large panel of glass could be replaced by several entities that are square pieces of glass that as a matrix form the window. Then, the glass pieces at the point of collision are removed and the surrounding squares change their textures to have jagged, shattered, broken edges.
© 2024 lite-C Forums