Suggestions?

Posted By: Creepinbox

Suggestions? - 03/17/08 13:58

I'm Trying to Create A Flying ai( a bie ).
This ai needs to avoid obsticles like stolps and If im on a platform above it it will find me .. or .. eh .. avoid the platform to get to me. an its all node less and simple..

So what im wondering is how should i go about this? what is the best way to make this ai ?

I hope you understand ^^
Posted By: Nidhogg

Re: Suggestions? - 03/17/08 16:26

There is a aeroplane demo around somewhere. Can't remember if it was in the
AUM or in some old demo I downloaded. I deleted it because it was early A6 or late A5. Maybe that will get you started?
Either do a search in these forums or goto the AUM resources or wilkii and
I'm sure you will find it.

Good luck..

Re: Suggestions? - 03/17/08 17:12

there is very litle to be found on flying ai any where , but i know its been done .. like .. umm inago rage had flying enemyes.. that avoid obsticles.. i want my bie to be able to follow me around ^^
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Suggestions? - 03/17/08 20:47

This would be a perfect problem to solve with a neural-net approach.
Thanks for the Idea.

Re: Suggestions? - 03/18/08 14:00

neural-net? thanks ? mind filling me in ?eh ? ^^
Posted By: testDummy

Re: Suggestions? - 03/20/08 13:33

Quoting Damocles.
Quote:

This would be a perfect problem to solve with a neural-net approach.
Thanks for the Idea.

Ha ha.
Posted By: Christian__A

Re: Suggestions? - 03/21/08 15:28

You should search for "steering behavior" - or look at the "open steer"-project. 2 links i found quickly: http://www.red3d.com/cwr/steer/
http://www.galaxygoo.org/blogs/2006/07/steering_behavior_hunting_and_1.html
Posted By: Doug

Re: Suggestions? - 03/21/08 22:34

Not sure what you are laughing about, Neural-nets can solve any problem (at least in theory). The downside is, you may go crazy trying to debug them.

Assuming you are talking about an entity that can move freely in all directions (e.g. "zero-g" jet-pack, not an airplane), the simple method is "crash-and-glide". Move directly towards your target, when you hit something, drag along it (yes, this looks dumb).

An advanced version is to do the same thing but trace out ahead of your AI a set number of units. When that trace hits an object, calculate a glide.

The best method is normally using way-points and path-finding (which isn't as bad as you may think).
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Suggestions? - 03/22/08 01:26

Quote:

the simple method is "crash-and-glide"

This reminds me, that a bee and similar insects indeed bump into things sometimes.
Let them bounce, when they hit a surface, and let them trace for the target a short amount of time later.
Or, let them try to achieve the same height as the target first, if they hit the plate at its downside, let them bounce in a random direction for a very short time and fly up again. When they reached the height of the player/target, trace for the player.
© 2024 lite-C Forums