ugly shadows

Posted By: anime

ugly shadows - 07/10/08 11:49

Hi.
Can anyone help me with ugly shadows cast by models. They are jagged, not smooth and look really bad. It looks like they are following the polylines of the models.
Posted By: amy

Re: ugly shadows - 07/10/08 12:44

Do you mean dynamic shadows or static shadows? Can you show a screenshot?

Re: ugly shadows - 07/10/08 13:05

I think dynamic, but am not sure of the difference(sorry).How do I attach an image?I don`t have it online..
Posted By: broozar

Re: ugly shadows - 07/10/08 13:47

upload it to imageshack.us
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ugly shadows - 07/11/08 07:45

You may have an "open mesh" (hard edges).
Try [Tools][Mesh Tester] in MED to check this.
You have to close it (by merging the vertcies).

Re: ugly shadows - 07/13/08 17:39

Hi.
I have uploaded an image now. http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mselsjor/images/detail/#329/shadowsxp8.jpg

Thanks M

Re: ugly shadows - 07/13/08 17:42

Hi.
I don`t think that is the case.I have also tested the cherries in the pic(link in other post)and they are fine.
M
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ugly shadows - 07/13/08 20:18

That's GS stencil shadows on lowpoly models

Re: ugly shadows - 07/14/08 10:24

Hi.
So how do I get rid of those? Many of the models are not what I would call lowpoly models.
M
Posted By: Tobias

Re: ugly shadows - 07/14/08 10:54

Stencil shadows follow the polygons of your model, thats normal. For better looking, first switch off the ugly self shadows, for this set the CAST flag of all models. Then take care of some better shading in your level, for this increase the sun brightness and decrease the ambient brightness, this will give you smooth gouraud shading. You can also play with material values of mat_model.

Re: ugly shadows - 07/14/08 13:01

So both the shadow AND the Cast flag should be set?. I am very grateful for this info. I will experiment with different sun/ambient settings and see if it helps..
Posted By: Matt_Coles

Re: ugly shadows - 07/14/08 23:03

The other thing is, if you own A7 commercial and have downloaded the new public beta, 7.10.1, you should be able to use the accompanying soft shadow shader on your models, look up in the manual to learn how to implement it.

But basically what it will do is blur the harsh lines stencil shadows produce, making them a lot softer and more bearable

Re: ugly shadows - 08/29/08 10:10

Hello and thanks for the ansswer. How do I soften the stencil shadows...
© 2024 lite-C Forums