Does A6 Com have beam effect?

Posted By: Wizard1218

Does A6 Com have beam effect? - 08/30/03 05:00

The features list on the main 3DGS page says that the A6 Commercial edition supports beam effects, but the A6 help manual says it doesn't, so I am just wondering if anyone knew whether or not it did. I honestly can't tell whether or not my particles have the beam effect.

Thanks!
Posted By: GhostDude

Re: Does A6 Com have beam effect? - 08/30/03 05:13

I'm pretty sure it does. You cant tell if the effects have beam or not? It's usually a pretty big difference!
Posted By: tesanders

Re: Does A6 Com have beam effect? - 08/30/03 05:15

A6 Commercial has beam effects but I believe only Professional has streak effects.

- Tesanders

Re: Does A6 Com have beam effect? - 08/30/03 05:18

Oh, now I see it, thanks! Funny, I never noticed I've been using the beam effect all this time. That's pretty cool!

Re: Does A6 Com have beam effect? - 08/30/03 05:21

I don't know, maybe commercial does have streak. When I turn beam off, but turn streak on, it looks different than when streak is off.
Posted By: BionicHero

Re: Does A6 Com have beam effect? - 08/30/03 10:55

A6 commercial edition has both stream and beam.

Re: Does A6 Com have beam effect? - 08/30/03 15:40

You're right -- Commercial does have streak. My bad. Elsewood has posted the incongruity in the "Blame the Manual" forum, though I can't read German.
Posted By: DragonFlyz

Re: Does A6 Com have beam effect? - 08/31/03 06:22

Just a quick question, what does beam and streak do to particles?

Re: Does A6 Com have beam effect? - 08/31/03 08:51

It kind of smears the images of the individual particles as they move, making the effect more realistic, especially for things like explosions, where each particle moves quickly.

I didn't notice commercial had beam and streak until I turned it off and watched it a few times. If you don't have commercial or pro and want to see how it looks in realtime, demos like "The Conflict" on the download page have it.

Re: Does A6 Com have beam effect? - 08/31/03 22:55

> I didn't notice commercial had beam and streak until I turned it off and watched it a few times.

I didn't realize this either; the streak effects are subtle. Here's an example that really stretches the particles:

Code:

function part_4() {
my.alpha -= 5*time;

my.x += my.vel_x*time*0.3;
my.y += my.vel_y*time*0.3;
my.z += my.vel_z*time*0.3;

if(my.alpha<0) {
my.lifespan=0;
}
}

function effect_particle_4() {
vec_randomize(temp, 20);
vec_add(my.vel_x, temp);
vec_add(my.x, temp);

my.alpha = 75+random(25);
my.bmap = bitmap_electric; # Any bitmap will do.
my.flare = on;
my.bright=on;
my.streak = on;
my.move = off;
my.function = part_4;
my.size=10;
}

In another thread, JCL suggested moving particles independent of their velocities, since the streak effect is tied to vel_x, vel_y, and vel_z. Here, the particle's vel_x/y/z are larger than the actual speed so as to augment the smearing.

- Tesanders
© 2024 lite-C Forums