model lighting problem

Posted By: Jaxas

model lighting problem - 01/18/09 21:30

hi,i have a question. How to switch off lighting for model. Here's an example. As you can see, there's 2 equal wall models with tileable texture. They should be like 1 whole wall,and now i see 2 walls. How can i do that?

By jaxas
Posted By: Ayumi

Re: model lighting problem - 01/19/09 09:21

through a skin....

choose 6 sited mapping and make sure
1 site is next to each other.

Re: model lighting problem - 01/19/09 11:05

it is alredy 6 side maping and skin set perfectly, also it should be all dark, and now one corner is white..that all the problem. There's some kind of lighting set on it i think confused
Posted By: mk_1

Re: model lighting problem - 01/19/09 12:06

the vertex normals have the wrong direction. It's not a problem of the engine but the model. If you use walls you should use hard edged models (either set a material with "flat" shading or split vertices to have multiple normals per edge)
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: model lighting problem - 01/19/09 12:31

Any suggestions on HOW to split vertices with the standard
3DGS tools, or do we need to go external tools?

Links to tutorials/info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: model lighting problem - 01/19/09 12:32

and how to change thees vertex direction? and what you mean "hard edged models". How to do that?
Posted By: mk_1

Re: model lighting problem - 01/19/09 13:41

Okay, a normal is a direction vector (length 1) which points orthogonally away from a surface. Now a vertex is part of one or more triangles. Since these triangles usually don't point to the same direction the vertex normal is the average of the triangle's surface normals. That way edges look smooth (needed e.g. for spheres). For a box (or in your case the wall) you don't want to smooth edges, you need "hard" edges. That means that a vertex that is part of multiple triangles must be replaced my multiple vertices that are part of the different triangles so they can all have different normals.

I don't know how to do that in MED since I don't own any Gamestudio anymore. But another way to achieve what you want is to set a material with shade mode set to flat. Iirc there's a predefined material.
© 2024 lite-C Forums