Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED

Posted By: Anonymous

Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED - 11/11/03 01:21

Hello,
I have read through the forum but no-one has really answered the question...
Do you need to assign a sky cube in WED for the sky code to work?
sky sky_cube
{
type = <sky+6.tga>;
layer = 3;
flags = cube,visible;
}

So far i have only been able to make this work if there is a Sky box assigned in wed. Although there is a strong indication from JCL that you do not need to use a Sky box in WED, just put in the code and it will display you sky.cube.

So if you do not need to assign a Sky box in WED, how do you go about it in SED with code only?

Thanks,

-Mek
Posted By: bredebrothers

Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED - 11/11/03 23:03

hey ho,
here´s the code:
sky my_tgasky1 {
type = <yoursky.tga>;
flags = dome,visible;
layer = 1; //dependent on the other Layers
scale_x = 4;
scale_y = 4;
speed_u = 0;
speed_v = 0;
}

Re: Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED - 11/12/03 04:41

If you're using the newest 6.11.4, then here it is:

Code:

sky cube
{
type = <level2sky+6.tga>;
flags = cube,visible;
material = mat_sky;
}

The TGA can be any name, but it needs the "+6" on the end and it needs to be a 32-bit TGA with an all white alpha channel...if it isn't then the sky texture will blend in witht the cube texture(I don't know if this is actually required or not..I've been using cubes since before they became a part of the engine and that's how it was done). Don't forget the material line, either. Anywhere a standard sky texture appears(like on a skybox), this will appear. I have no idea if a skybox is not required, but just know that I do and have no problems.

Re: Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED - 11/12/03 07:37

Hello,
Thanks for the response.
I can get the sky box to work, that was not the problem...
The question is if you can still make it work without defining a sky cube inside WED. Just with code?

Thanks,

-Mek
Posted By: bredebrothers

Re: Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED - 11/12/03 23:21

hey ho again,
why won´t you use a skybox/cube?

Re: Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED - 11/13/03 00:51

Hello,
Because the moment you start to use a sky box defined in WED, you are limited by the bounderies you set on it. If you want a huge playing area you are then limited.

-Mek
Posted By: Wade_Adams

Re: Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED - 11/19/03 11:52

My experience is no sky box no sky. For a skylight get away with a plate primitive in the area of the skylight, but in an outdoor level you are going to have to use a hollow primative of some kind(cube is the best) . All levels are limited in size so I don't get the objection to a sky cube. If you are running into a engine limitation of the cube being too big to compile I would consider breaking your level into serveral smaller levels. The frame rate will be MUCH better on an outside level. Outside levels have too many triangle to render.
Posted By: WildCat

Re: Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED - 11/23/03 12:08

If you are concerned about running into boundries on your sky cube, simply attach an action to your sky cube so that it is always centered on the player. This way when the player moves, the sky moves with him and you can never catch up to it.

- WildCat

Re: Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED - 11/23/03 12:58

WildCat lost me. How would implement a sky cube that centers on the player? You can't assign an action to a group of block such as a hollow cube. Sounds like an interesting concept though . I hate large sky boxes and it seems like if the sky box closes the area it would keep the FPS in good condition which can be difficult on an outside level.
Posted By: ShadowFire

Re: Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED - 11/26/03 03:32

Well there are more than 1 option for a nice sky:

First:
You could use the new skucube feauture as explained in AUM 31 by George, but this has a bug currently, in that your texture will be darker and somwhat "Greyed". Its being addressed in the Beta and Bug forum at the moment. Also you can only ajust the "z" tag. That means that you could only shift it up or down. You cannot rotate it as yet.

Secondly:
You could use a skycube model. With a skucube model you can ajust the vertcal posiition, move it up or down, and you can make it rotate ever so slightly. This is great in game, the sky will rotate slowly. Also the texture is rendered in full splendour.

Thirdly
You can use a Skydome model.
Same as Skycube model, but with diffirent code.

For Free Skycube models and textures or Skydomes with code to make it work, see:
3DGS User's Voice

Hope this helps
Regards
Shad

Re: Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED - 11/26/03 08:54

Posted By: Grimber

Re: Sky Cube - Do you need a Sky Box in WED - 11/27/03 23:44

Quote:

WildCat lost me. How would implement a sky cube that centers on the player? You can't assign an action to a group of block such as a hollow cube. Sounds like an interesting concept though . I hate large sky boxes and it seems like if the sky box closes the area it would keep the FPS in good condition which can be difficult on an outside level.

normaly you would do this with a sky sphere which is a model.

through script you have it center itself to the player and as the player moves the sphere moves ( just a matter of changing the the sphere's x/y/z location to match the player's x/y/z) works well for outdoor areas especial ones that are large or you don't want to have to deal with masking the horizon sky distortion.

another method ( i don't think anyone mentioned it) is using sky domes.

I use this method so i can create dynamic skys. ( changing cloud density to reflect weather patterns, moveing clouds across the sky at varius speeds and directions, easy to simulate day/night transitions) problem with domes is the horizon distortion which you need to hide ( by methods like the horizon scene, or making your terrains with high elevation borders)

so you got several sky options available.

skybox ( hollow cube palced in wed)

skycube ( the scripted 6 sided box)

skysphere ( a modeled sphere that incloses the level or player)
( i have a tutorail in the works on working with sky domes, donno when ill get it done with 5 other things im working on as well)

skydomes ( infinet size layer(s) domes over your level map )
© 2024 lite-C Forums