trigger and PE

Posted By: iprogramgames

trigger and PE - 01/30/04 09:21

I have no problem getting a trigger to work with non PE entities. But with PE entities it simply doesn't work. I have tried impact and that works. Has anyone else had this problem.
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: trigger and PE - 01/30/04 11:40

To my knowledge, Trigger (and a few other functions) simply don't work on entities registered with the PE.
Don't know if Conitec plans to change this or not.

Re: trigger and PE - 01/30/04 12:08

Thanks, I thought that may have been the case.
Posted By: ptmontgomery

Re: trigger and PE - 02/01/04 01:13

Use the Set_Friction functions and its associated functions to trigger with

Re: trigger and PE - 02/01/04 03:58

set_friction?

Are you talking about phent_setfriction from the PE? I don't see how this triggers anything. And enable_friction doesn't work with the PE.

Re: trigger and PE - 02/02/04 18:06

You have a coding example? It would help

Re: trigger and PE - 02/02/04 23:49

Yes. I was at a public kiosk when I responded - phent_setfriction does work. After its activated you can then use EVENT_friction for triggers. This is almost impossible to figure out from the manual - unless you read and memorize everything. If it hadn't been for a clue from Doug, I never would have found it.

Re: trigger and PE - 02/03/04 05:12

I remember some time back on a post about event_friction and i *thought* that enable.friction and thus the event_friction event where only activated with ent_move.
I was almost positive that EVENTS and the PE were incompatible....

Re: trigger and PE - 02/03/04 07:24

The short answer is: So did I. Then I sent an email to Doug begging for his suggestions - and he pointed me to these functions. It seems that there is more integration with the PE than earlier designed. The info IS in the manual - if you just take the time to read EVERY function!

Re: trigger and PE - 02/03/04 07:37

MOther Poccer!!!!! I HAVE read every function and this is to my knowledge, the ONLY physics-based event.
Can anyone verify this?

OMFG, this is an incredible!! I had all but given up being able to account for and read the NORMAL FORCE, but this is it.

Still not a believer, gonna go check it out and see if it flys as well as it says, but this promises to be VERY useful!

Posted By: Marco_Grubert

Re: trigger and PE - 02/03/04 10:25

The physics engine supports three events:
EVENT_FRICTION, EVENT_IMPACT, and EVENT_ENTITY

EVENT_FRICTION (called for all involved PEs) sets both TARGET and NORMAL to collision point and its normal.
EVENT_ENTITY (moving PE/collider) and EVENT_IMPACT (receiver/collidee) only have TARGET set.

Please note that there was some change in this behavior and one of the flags was undefined, I do not remember which version number contains the complete implementation (it might be the Beta release).

Re: trigger and PE - 02/03/04 12:08

Fantastic, thanks Marco!

Very very nice! I'll update my white paper with this new very useful insight!

Re: trigger and PE - 02/03/04 12:37

From the manual:

EVENT_friction
entity.enable_friction
If a physics entity collides with another model, the physics entity will receive this event. TARGET and NORMAL are set to point of impact and hit surface normal, respectively. If two physics entities collide, each will receive an EVENT_FRICTION

Re: trigger and PE - 02/03/04 13:07

I've read all three events and it is in no way clear whether these events are exclusive to PE, ent_move, or both.

I seem to remember that the same laguage was/is used with ent_move events in the pre-PE days and thus my confusion; if memory serves, a physics entity was synonomous with an ent_move entity.As an example, quote from the manuel:
------------------------------------------------------
EVENT_BLOCK
entity.enable_block
Collision with a surface of the level during a ent_move or c_move instruction or physic entity movement.
------------------------------------------------------
Yet a Physics Entity under the PE would not generate this event by what marco jsut said
The wording is not consistent

The manuel should make clear which events are under the ent_move and which are under the PE.

The way events are presented right now is very confusing.

Re: trigger and PE - 02/03/04 18:30

So Macro, I guess this means no Trigger events for the PE right now then? If so the when.

Re: trigger and PE - 02/04/04 01:47

What I take away from this thread is that you don't need a trigger function...the above mentioned events can be used to trigger something on contact. Anything else and you should use scan or trace which work fine on PE entitys.

Re: trigger and PE - 02/04/04 04:06

That's what I am getting too. I have some code that uses trigger to pull a ball through a tube but it uses trigger. I have altered it to use impact though. Thanks.
© 2024 lite-C Forums