Physics for a trench coat

Posted By: Panther_Studios

Physics for a trench coat - 07/15/04 08:15

I have a model of a kind of new age cowboy with a black trench coat that hangs done past his knees. The torso part of the coat is a skin but the part that hangs down is a model. How would I be able to let it blow in the wind and move realistically like the scarf that the ninja wears in the PS2's Shinobe.

I think that the hanging down part of the coat would have to be another model that is attached through coding though.

Please help.

I have the Commercial Edition.
Posted By: Marco_Grubert

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 07/15/04 09:57

That could be done with A6 Pro, but A6 Commercial only has 1 physics entity and you will need lots to move the coat around in a realistic manner. Basically create invisible physics entities and update your coat MDL vertices with the position taken from these invisible entitites.
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 07/15/04 09:58

Quote:

I have the Commercial Edition.

Let me save you a ton of time:
Can't be done; at least not with the Commercial PE and I don't even know that the Pro PE could do it.

Sorry Bro.
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 07/15/04 13:07

Marco's idea is very interesting, but sounds very difficult to impliment. I'd like to see it done though.

I animated a dress using Lightwave's motion dynamics then exported as point animation. Even then, it is very hard getting it so that the material stays out of the rest of the model.

MED doesn't have motion dynamics, so you'll have to look around for an application that will do the job for you.

It would be very nice if Game Studio had motion dynamics built into it. Maybe something to suggest for Engine Future?

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 07/20/04 07:01

Do you think that Newton physics would do it?

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 07/20/04 08:42

My guess is no. It's a pretty challenging problem you are addressing.
Posted By: Paper2Pixle

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 07/20/04 08:53

How about just animating the Model of the tail of the trench coat, blowing in the "wind" (giving it a long sequence so it doesn't look looped in the game), then attach it to the body of your player (I'm no good at scripting but) somehow make it so that when you move foward to top of the tail peice is hinged to the player thus making the bottom of the coat slightly flare back in movement. You could even use a hinge from newton.

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 07/21/04 01:35

Absolutly. Then the cape is just an animated model and you can do whatever you want.
It's tieiing in real time physics that presents massive problems
Posted By: BlueFire

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 07/21/04 06:35

This probably won't help you out much, but here is a link of a cloth simulation demo from some website I found quite a while back. Way too hard for me to learn/do. But the demos are fun to look at. http://apocalyx.sourceforge.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2&mode=&order=0&thold=0
Posted By: BHoltzman

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 07/22/04 02:32

Why not assume there is no wind? Then the cape will only move when the player moves. This could be a lot easier to set up then the alternative. You're player will run forwards, turn, and stop. Those aren't that hard to set up animations for as long you're going to use the same animation over and over for these states.

Although, I am assuming you've got access to a cloth simulator, which is a pretty good sized assumption.
Posted By: ello

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 07/22/04 15:47

if you already go this far, then you could add some slight sin/cos movements to the trenchcoats vertices. this would add slight windy movement

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 07/22/04 16:08

Yeah, that could look rather pretty.

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 07/24/04 04:45

How do you use the .dat file that comes with the cloth physics demos?
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 08/09/04 19:09

Quote:

That could be done with A6 Pro, but A6 Commercial only has 1 physics entity and you will need lots to move the coat around in a realistic manner. Basically create invisible physics entities and update your coat MDL vertices with the position taken from these invisible entitites.

Did you mean, making a physics object of the coat (or a part of it) and let it collide with invisible level geometry?? Of course you'd have to make some mesh deformation, I guess. This is quite interesting, did someon tried this before??

Cheers
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 08/09/04 20:25

I haven't been able to find any modeling or animation software for lower budgets that is capable of soft body dynamics.

Even if you do find one that you can afford, I can tell you from experience that animating cloth and stopping it from going into the model's body is quite a task. One that should keep you fixed to your monitor for a few days at least.

You could also try bone animation, but it won't look as good, and pretty hard to make any semblence of real motion.

Using 3dgs physics objects to control the position of vertices in a cloth model sounds like one hell of a task. I've never heard of such a thing ever being attempted, so if you are game, then I'd like to hear how you go.

I understand your frustration, there is no easy solution. I think your best bet is to get access to a high end modeling program and using its motion dynamics capabilities.

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 08/10/04 01:41

Just stick your model in the simulation when using a cloth simulator. Then you animate the cloth while the model is going through it's animation.

Bring the whole object into MED as a vertex animation and it should look right. Keeping the cloth out of the model isn't difficult in XSI. That's the only cloth simulator I have access to. (besides the one the comes with truespace. But I'm not going to load that one up right now.) On second thought I also have poser 5 with cloth simulation. It's an ok animation system, but not as good as the XSI cloth animation system.

I agree that a realtime cloth animation system would be really cool to use in a game. But this is the best that I can think of for the time being.

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 08/10/04 04:10

Did anyone try the cloth simulation demo I posted, it's real time, complex, and has great colision detection. I asume conitec could add something like it the 3dgs, most likey would end up a PRO only feature.

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 08/10/04 04:43

I didn't know you posted a real time cloth simulator. Where can I take a look at it?

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 08/10/04 05:54

Hope this link works, it's the copied URL for where you select a server for downloading it. http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/apocalyx/ClothDemo_0.5.0_WIN-030412.zip?download
Posted By: MMike

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 08/10/04 18:04

Its very cool the cloth simlutator.. but how can this be applyed to 3dGS?

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 08/11/04 01:29

Request it as a feature and give conitec a link to the demo.
Posted By: Vedren

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 03/29/05 06:22

If you are willing to drop a couple thousand on maya 6 it now renders cloth and hair and if im reading te help file on it correctly maya will even add collision detection to cloth and hair, so this would be a semi fix the coat would bounce off the characters legs and feets as he runs around giving it movement.
Posted By: DavidLancaster

Re: Physics for a trench coat - 04/04/05 23:44

I reackon it can be easily done. Check this thread:

http://www.conitecserver.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=498414&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#498414

Use the same concept. You will just move the verticies in real time, based on the movement of the top verticies of the cape. Make sure you check out DooeyJo's post in that thread.
© 2024 lite-C Forums