Turning static shadows off in WED

Posted By: 3run

Turning static shadows off in WED - 12/08/11 12:42

How to turn static shadows in map compiler? I want to use dynamic shadowmapping.
Posted By: the_clown

Re: Turning static shadows off in WED - 12/08/11 17:09

Just don't place any lights.
Posted By: Roel

Re: Turning static shadows off in WED - 12/08/11 17:17

you can set the level ambient to white, and the sun ambient to white.
Lightmaps are almost gone then.
also, you can use fixed function effects to render only the diffuse texture.
In both cases, set the lightmap resolution to 0.01, so it almost doesn't take any video memory.

Re: Turning static shadows off in WED - 12/08/11 20:03

How do I set ambient and sun to white? I don't want to make level very bright, I just want to keep it's lightning simple as always but without without static shadows.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Turning static shadows off in WED - 12/08/11 20:27

Simply don't use shaded but flat surfaces (in texture/ block properties) and activate tesselation for flat blocks.

Re: Turning static shadows off in WED - 12/08/11 20:49

Ok, how to activate
tesselation for flat blocks?

Re: Turning static shadows off in WED - 12/08/11 20:52

Open the map compiler and click on the button for advanced options (">>>"), there you'll see a slider "Tesselate flat".

IMO you should not use vertex lighting, though, but use simple point light shaders (without any normalmapping and the like). Then you don't need tesselation anyway.

EDIT: Because vertex lighting always looks bad, no matter how fine your tesselation is, and it's basically only a relict from old A5/ A6 times.

Re: Turning static shadows off in WED - 12/08/11 21:11

Ok, thank you, I'll give it a try. So, where can I get point lightning? I use A7 commercial.

Re: Turning static shadows off in WED - 12/08/11 21:16

Hm I don't know if there are any simple point light shaders around here, but you could easily take for example a normal mapping shader (wiki?) and delete the normal mapping part.

Re: Turning static shadows off in WED - 12/08/11 21:28

I should learn shaders, and then give it a try, thank you man. By the way, what the hell is wrong with the Wiki? I see some strange stuff, like:
Quote:

</
div>
</
td>
<td
style= MainBoxFrameStyle
width:25%;>
<div
style= MainBoxHeadStyle>Documentation</
div>
<div
style= MainBoxContentStyle>
Could you please, give me direct link to that normalmapping shader?
© 2024 lite-C Forums