Is A8 compatible with Steam Deck?

Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Is A8 compatible with Steam Deck? - 02/23/22 13:14

Can I make an app that compatible with Steam Deck without switching to Windows?
Just curious.
Posted By: 3run

Re: Is A8 compatible with Steam Deck? - 02/23/22 14:21

Hey.

GameStudio doesn't support linux distros and works only on windows. Also it's possible that with future windows 10/11 updates, gamestudio won't work correctly even on windows...
As for steam deck you either need to install windows on it (not worth trying to get oldass engine running on it) or you may want to try to run your app via proton/wine on linux, it might work.

Greets
Posted By: Aku_Aku

Re: Is A8 compatible with Steam Deck? - 02/23/22 17:44

Although GS doesn't supports Linux, you can run it with Wine. It works.
Posted By: Dooley

Re: Is A8 compatible with Steam Deck? - 02/23/22 17:47

While I cannot dispute the fact that you probably should use a different engine if you want a game to work on Linux, Steam has been working on Proton, which is like WINE, allowing Windows games to work on Linux. I have run my Acknex games with WINE, and they were also whitelisted for use with Proton by Valve.

https://www.protondb.com/search?q=star%20explorers (Platinum Rating)

https://www.protondb.com/search?q=paradox%20vector (only one report, but working fine)

Whether this means they will work with Steamdeck is a different issue I guess.
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: Is A8 compatible with Steam Deck? - 02/25/22 15:25

Originally Posted by 3run

GameStudio doesn't support linux distros and works only on windows. Also it's possible that with future windows 10/11 updates, gamestudio won't work correctly even on windows...
Greets

If Zorro runs on Windows 11, I think gamestudio should be fine.
Posted By: 3run

Re: Is A8 compatible with Steam Deck? - 02/25/22 17:52

Originally Posted by Frederick_Lim
If Zorro runs on Windows 11, I think gamestudio should be fine.
I wouldn't compare acknex to zorro since they are completely different type of software. I bet acknex is much more complex in terms of libs, dependencies and windows interactions (winapi) + it's not being updated since long time while zorro even have more recent version of liteC. So I would doubt this statement. Anyway, if you consider gamestudio as an engine for hobby project, this might not hurt, while 'should be fine' isn't something to go with towards commercial projects.

Greets
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Is A8 compatible with Steam Deck? - 03/04/22 19:45

GameStudio games run fine on the Steam Deck. Source: Got an EV2 dev kit here and played Pogostuck a bunch on it last year. Speaking of, Superku has a dev kit as well.
Posted By: Dooley

Re: Is A8 compatible with Steam Deck? - 03/05/22 12:33

That's fantastic!

Just to clarify, it is running through Proton?
© 2024 lite-C Forums