A6 Engine Limitations?

Posted By: snake333

A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/16/05 12:19

Hello, I noticed that the more entities in the level I have the slower the engine gets... Are there any guidlines for maintaining a good engine speed?

I am doing a shooting game where many entites(Soldiers) exist, Like Call of Duty, But the engines slows down critically.

Please provide me with specific details about this problem..

Regards
Posted By: Lion_Ts

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/16/05 12:25

Search for framerate saving or alike on forum. This question was diskussed many time. and look at the wiki.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/16/05 13:03

Try switching off the 3d-sound. It was the major slowdown on our game.

(Maybe someone can affirm my observation: in FarCry the voices of the enemies don't sound 3d to me. Did they have the same problem within their engine?)
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/16/05 13:59

At lot of this is the problem with computers now then just an individual engine.

A big thing you can do is to group as many models as you can into one model. This will help you a lot.

Next try to limit how far the camera can see. If you want to know what i mean point the camera at a wall and then point it at an open field with many models in it. You'll see a huge difference.

Limit your traces. If using it for AI for several entites don't do it every frame, use it once a second. This should help a lot.

Stay away from anything in the manual that is labled "slow". Or do your best not to. Try to use 3dgs functions instead of scripting your own. C++ is faster then C-script so it's better to use theirs.

Pray to Foxhound daily, this helps the most.
Posted By: MichaelGale

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/16/05 15:05

A try could be to handle this with triggers, if your level is linear like in DOOM³ or Jedi-Knight, you can use this triggers to spawn the enemies. This doesn't coast so much performance then having all enemies from beginning in the level. SO your player is fighting throught the level, killing enemies and the new ones are spawning.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: ulillillia

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/16/05 20:40

Oh, and when not visible (such as being behind a wall or too far away), set the entity's my.invisible flag to on to prevent the engine from rendering it. I have tried and tested a code for doing this and it works well and the impact is very noticeable.
Posted By: Josh_Arldt

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/17/05 06:48

You can also use LOD and my Fading Detail Models script.
If you have A6 Standard and don't have the LOD feature you can use my plugin.
You can find the script and plugin here:

A6LOD: LOD(Levels Of Detail) Plugin

Fading Detail Models(like in GTA)
Posted By: Olzii

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/17/05 10:02

If you have to use lots of same entities, you can use my idea :

Here : http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=560477&an=0&page=2#560477
Posted By: snake333

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/18/05 17:36

Thanks alot for the valuable info

Regards

SNAKE333
Posted By: nunofontoura

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/18/05 17:36

Start here: http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/sho...e58e0a045c914ab

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/19/05 04:30

Thanks nuno for your useful links.

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/21/05 17:52

You're welcome, Olzzi. Actually, we both have to thank Jamie_Lynn, who made that list. Unfortunately, she is reducing her posts in this forum, as you can see here: http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=567630&an=0&page=1#567630

O.T.: Is it Gengis Khan in your avatar or just a mongol warrior?

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/22/05 00:38

Yes, He is Gengis Khan in my avatar. He is my grandfather. Hehe

Re: A6 Engine Limitations? - 09/22/05 22:54

Thanks, Olzii Khan, the great.
© 2024 lite-C Forums