How can I change the icon in the executable

Posted By: eritos

How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/09/06 17:58

Hi greetings I need to know how can I change the icon in the executable when I publish my game. and How can I change the message in the splash screen when appear the message 3d conitec etc. at the startup.
Posted By: old_bill

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/09/06 19:59

The first thing can easily done with a packer, like Nacasi or Molebox.
Also most of the common Installers can handle that.

For the 2nd question, do you refer to the 3D Splash?
This one is fixed and has to be shown in case of a commercial use.
Just in case you own the Pro Edition, you dont need to display the screen.

old_bill
Posted By: eritos

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/09/06 21:52

I check the programs that you say me but its in german and I dont understand, for other way I have the commercial edition, its not the splash its the letters that appear when the game is loading
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/10/06 07:44

that can only be changed with the professional version.
soz mate but i guess it's not a huge problem, eh?

julz
Posted By: Bopete

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/14/06 01:49

I happen to have Molebox Pro, and have yet to figure out how to use it to change the icon of the executable. I posted an inquiry on their forum and never got an answer. Maybe someone here knows how, since I've read this assertion more than a few times regarding Molebox.
Posted By: broozar

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/14/06 09:44

who cares how the main executable looks? you will never launch the game from the exe directly, but from the shortcuts on the desktop/in the start menu. many install creators offer the opportunity to change THAT icon...
Posted By: Bopete

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/14/06 15:46

While the Desktop icon and Start Menu icons can indeed be changed to a custom icon, the A6 icon still shows in the taskbar when the application is running. So yeah, I care.
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/14/06 15:59

There *IS* a way to do this-- I've done it using a resource editor back when I to change Director/Shockwave "projector" .exe files and Delphi exe files, back in Windows 95. And I mean I changed them after they've been compiled-- not using features within these programs.

So it's totally possible. I can't remember the name of the app I used, but if you take a while and search google for Icon Exe Resource Editor and variations on those keywords, you should find something after a while. I couldn't find it after 2-3 minutes searching for you, but it IS out there.

I don't know whether or not the A6 license will permit you legally to change the icon without the Pro version-- or if only the pro version supports icon change-- whether it is a feature, a legal issue, or both.

Though I agree that the shortcut and desktop and start menu icons chan be changed. Yeah-- in the taskbar-- that's not right.

But I KNOW there **IS** a solution because I did it many times, just keep plugging away and looking in google.
Good luck! Lemmeno if you find it
Posted By: ulillillia

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/14/06 16:14

I found how to change the icon for the shortcut, but I can't seem to do it with a duplicated copy of my 2D game (the first beta release) for experimental reasons only.

For the shortcut, just right-click on it, select properties, click the "change icon" button, click browse, find the ICO file you want to use (normally a 32x32 graphic), select it, and apply it.

This only works for the shortcut though. Perhaps you could make the EXE a hidden file (check the "hidden" flag for it's attributes). It would be less visible, unless the end user configured windows to display hidden files.

I'm just curious, but why is the icon required in all non-pro editions? The logos are required, but I don't get that of the icon....
Posted By: vlau

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/14/06 16:29

It should be michelangelo, I've use it to change
the icon of Director projectors some years ago,
but can't find it download link right now.

You may try Resource Hacker

also, but as Jetpack Monkey said, I'm not sure it is legal to change
the GS icon without Pro license, and I haven't done it before.

Good luck.
Posted By: Mystery

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/15/06 17:00

But what is about the protection system of the engine? I think if you change the icon of the Acknex application with something like "Resource Hacker" you won't be able to start the game.
Then you have to publish the whole game again! This protection system starts a self-test and if you manipulate some game files the game won't start up.
So that doesn't seem to be a good idea.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/16/06 14:52

I don't think it checks the icon, but it might, and probably will now...
Posted By: ulillillia

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/17/06 13:00

I wonder if using the bind instruction to include an ICO file would work. Either that or a bmap definition.

bind <mygameicon.ico>; // try this option
bmap mygameicon = <mygameicon.ico>; // or try this one

I have otherwise no idea how it can even be done....
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: How can I change the icon in the executable - 04/24/06 16:15

From A6.40 on it's possible to change it, just look in the latest manual.

Cheers
© 2024 lite-C Forums