Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta

Posted By: jcl

Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 13:08

A new Gamestudio update is available for a public test:

http://server.conitec.net/down/gstudio_8302.exe

Some of the new functions of Gamestudio 8.30: OpenAL, environmental sounds effects, improvements of postprocessing shaders, and many new or improved engine functions. A detailed list can be found here:

http://manual.3dgamestudio.net/newfeatures8.htm

Install the update over your Gamestudio 8.20 version. Please report any problems to the bug forum.
Posted By: Iglarion

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 13:38

Finally smile
Thank you JCL!
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 13:41

Thank you, I'm really looking forward to test the eax_ functions!
Posted By: painkiller

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 14:34

at last! thank you laugh
Posted By: Aku_Aku

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 14:48

A feature from the detailed list:
Quote:
All postprocessing shaders now got useful default parameters in skill11..14. pp_set now automatically adapts the resolution to the first view in the chain. The new pp_add function can combine any number of postprocessing stages; this also works for multistage shaders such as the HDR shader.

I ask, why?
From the manual:
Quote:
skill1..skill20 are used for entering default properties in WED.
skill21..skill40 were used by the A6 template scripts, and are otherwise free for the user.
skill41..skill50 are used for shaders.

Please don't take away those skills that are still usable.
Or, create a new set of skills over 100.
Please careful consider my proposal, because i would like to use a lot of skills, and if the new features devour those, my project is over. sick
Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 14:51

that's why you should redefine skills with names.

#define health skill4

my.health = 90;

then you can change the number of skill you use anytime you want and your script would still function. If you cannot do that edit pp shader scripts to use other skills.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 14:59

Sorry, maybe you didn't get what want to say.
Put case that, all the skills are used to do something, and i want to use one more skill, that will not cause any problem if i rename a skill and use for something else than the old task was assigned?
I don't think so.
But please enlighten me...
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 15:06

Thats just for post proceesing shaders.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 15:16

And? If i use exactly the same skills for my own purpose, i can't use the post processing shaders.
Am i right?

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 17:45

I get empty functions called in main when I open the sounds sample, also an empty function error when pressing F11
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 18:00

Originally Posted By: Aku_Aku
And? If i use exactly the same skills for my own purpose, i can't use the post processing shaders.
Am i right?

No, you aren't. Its about MATERIAL skills, not ENTITY skills. See http://www.conitec.net/beta/material_skill.htm
Posted By: djfeeler

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 18:02

The same in sound test in line 35 (Empty function called in main) and the line 36 (Invalid function arguments in main).

I detect an error in knights on wheels (Script crash in car_noise)

djfeeler

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 18:28

I saw.
Quote:
20 general purpose variables that can be set by scripts and used in shaders. The float4 shader vectors vecSkill1 .. vecSkill17 contain the contents of material skill1..4, skill5..8, skill9..12, skill13..16, and skill17.. 20.
In my read: The general skill1..20 contain the special skills for shaders and materials. So when you use a material skill your script consumes one general skill.
And so on...
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 18:28

I got a problem: while vec_to_screen works good while testing in programmer mode, it fails in published mode (eg, the positions are not the same. Looks like ISOMETRIC is ignored again.)
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 19:51

yes vec_to_screen makes problems in general. JCL didnt believe me but good to know i am not the only one with this problem.

@JCL check beta forum i found a downloadable substitute where you can reproduce the problem laugh

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/12/11 22:28

Originally Posted By: Aku_Aku
I saw.
Quote:
20 general purpose variables that can be set by scripts and used in shaders. The float4 shader vectors vecSkill1 .. vecSkill17 contain the contents of material skill1..4, skill5..8, skill9..12, skill13..16, and skill17.. 20.
In my read: The general skill1..20 contain the special skills for shaders and materials. So when you use a material skill your script consumes one general skill.
And so on...

And thats wrong. I have no idea how I could say that more clearly.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/13/11 08:38

Some answers:

- Skills and shaders: I hope this was now sufficiently and patiently explained by users.
- Empty pointers in sound test: My mistake, a DLL was missing. Please download http://server.conitec.net/down/ackoal.dll and copy it into your acknex_plugins folder.
- vec_to_screen behaves as in the old version when published - this is normal, this beta is not yet publishable. A publishable version will be uploaded in short when there are no immediate bugs.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/13/11 12:34

Originally Posted By: JCL
this is normal, this beta is not yet publishable. A publishable version will be uploaded in short when there are no immediate bugs.

I've thought public betas had always been publishable?

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/13/11 16:39

OK, maybe i misunderstood something.
Do you want to say this?
Quote:
Hey Aku! There are 100 general skills and moreover there are material skills. The sum is 120.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/13/11 17:48

Have a look at include\atypes.h:
Code:
typedef struct ENTITY {
	C_LINK link;
	var	skill[100];	// entity skills
}

As you can plainly see, an entity has exactly 100 skills, no additional material or template skills and the like. In addition, skills are nothing else than vars and all 100 skills are of the same type. You can use them as you wish.

Now have a look at the material struct in the same file as above:
Code:
typedef struct MATERIAL {
	C_LINK link;
	var	skill[20];	// material skills
}

You will notice the 20 "special material skills" you've mentioned. They are not related to entity skills. Example:

MATERIAL* my_material = { ... }
ENTITY* my_entity;
my_entity.skill17 = 10; // here you access the 17th element of the array skill[100] from the entity struct
my_material.skill17 = 10; // here you access the 17th element of the array skill[20] from the material struct

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/13/11 18:43

Thanks Superku
Posted By: 3run

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/13/11 19:26

Why don't you reupload it with .dll?

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/13/11 20:08

Why do you ask this?

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/14/11 00:05

He will do it when uploading the stable and publishable version

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/14/11 09:59

I have again problem with the size of decal shadows. Now after using ent_morph my player shadow is 5 times biger. Before this happened when i play animation with big hull then shadow change size.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/14/11 11:40

That's ok - the shadow size is now adaptable, see features list.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/14/11 12:48

Yes JCL i know for this, i ask before for this feature ( thred ).
But now after i use ent_morph i have all problems like before. Here is picture.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/14/11 13:02

Have you checked the entity's min/max values before and after ent_morph?

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/14/11 13:15

Yes values is same after and before using ent_morph.
Looks like after using ent_morph decal shadows not determined by the entity's bounding box. Playing different animations again make shadow size biger in my chase.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/14/11 14:09

ent_morph _does_ change the bounding box. That's the reason of the different shadow size.

You can determine the shadow size through changing the bounding box. Please check. This works regardless of ent_morph. Maybe your code affects the bbox by calling c_setminmax or the like - this would explain the problem. But if you are sure that it's something else, please upload a project where it happens - we'll look into it.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/14/11 14:50

Thank you JCL i will search deep into my code, but i almost 100% sure that with code everything is ok. If the problem continues, I'll do and send you a small level with code where this happening.
Posted By: 3dgs_snake

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/14/11 15:02

Hi,

I discovered that when changing the bounding box, it is needed to hide the shadow, wait 1 frame and show the shadow again for the shadow size to be updated. But I don't know if it is the correct way to use it.

Code:
reset(ent_player, SHADOW);
wait(1);
set(ent_player, SHADOW);

Sample code:
Code:
#include <acknex.h>
#include <default.c>

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Decal shadow problem App
void main()
{
	// Wait 1 frame
	wait(1);

// Load empty level
	level_load(NULL);

// Position camera
	vec_set(camera.x,vector(-150,0,50));

// Create terrain
	you = ent_createterrain(NULL,NULL,32,32,1000);
	bmap_fill(bmap_for_entity(you,0), vector(60, 60, 60), 100);  

// Create shadow casting entity
	ENTITY *ent_player = ent_create(CUBE_MDL, vector(0, 0, 60), NULL);
	c_setminmax(ent_player);
	set(ent_player, SHADOW);

// Main loop
	while(1)	
	{
		// Morph entity into cube if UP key
		if (key_cuu)
		{
			// Morph entity to cube
			ent_morph(ent_player, CUBE_MDL);
			// Scale cube
			vec_set(ent_player->scale_x, vector(0.5, 0.5, 0.5));		
			//ent_player->min_x = -5;
			//ent_player->max_x = 5;

wait(1);
			set(ent_player, SHADOW);

// Wait for key release
			while(key_cuu)
			{
				wait(1);
			}
		}

// Morph entity to sphere if DOWN key
		if (key_cud)
		{
			ent_morph(ent_player, SPHERE_MDL);
			// scale sphere
			vec_set(ent_player->scale_x, vector(2, 2, 2));

//ent_player->min_x = -20;
			//ent_player->max_x = 20;

wait(1);
			set(ent_player, SHADOW);

// Wait for key release
			while(key_cud)
			{
				wait(1);
			}
		}

DEBUG_VAR(ent_player->min_x, 100);
		DEBUG_VAR(ent_player->max_x, 150);

// Wait 1 frame
		wait(1);
	}
}
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Best regards.
Posted By: Rackscha

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/14/11 15:39

Quote:
I discovered that when changing the bounding box, it is needed to hide the shadow, wait 1 frame and show the shadow again for the shadow size to be updated. But I don't know if it is the correct way to use it.

Anything that involves WAIT to work properly(within the same assumed time...while it isnt because of the wait) sounds bad.
programm should be able to work without ANY wait o.O

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/14/11 17:21

Originally Posted By: jcl

- vec_to_screen behaves as in the old version when published - this is normal, this beta is not yet publishable. A publishable version will be uploaded in short when there are no immediate bugs.

i take your word for that wink

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/15/11 09:59

3dgs_snake: That's correct - the decal does not automatically notice when the bounding box was changed. So your method is indeed the correct way to change the decal size on the fly.

Spike: No, this is unrelated. If your script didn't work with the beta, it won't work with the published version either. I understood that you took over the code from that old isometric project and will look into that next week for determining what the problem is.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/15/11 11:22

thanx a bunch. because basically teh game is finished. i am working on polishing the thing for almost a year now (started back with A6!) and that really threw me off laugh
Posted By: White_Wolf

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/15/11 18:29

Thanks for the update.

Under About Wed is shwon the wrong 3DGS Version (6.20), when i start a level, in the Starting Window, it shows the right Version (6.30.2).

by

White_Wolf

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/16/11 10:11

Mr. Lotter, what's the ETA of the publishable update? Could we even get it today?

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/16/11 10:17

Not today, but with the final version next week.
Posted By: MTD

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/17/11 16:48

Is that ok that pXent_move function does not return anything on collision with PH_RIGID object ?
It does return a value if collision is made with PH_STATIC or PH_CHAR object.
Posted By: MTD

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/17/11 22:51

Hmm. Have some interesting behavior when running project. (Ussing SED)

When I start my project with (Test Run - F5) & (Run Current - F6) the project works as it should,
but as soon I try to start the project with (Debug Run - CTRL+F5) the project does not do anything like it should (like move object) ???
I'm using pXent_move function.

What could be the problem?

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/18/11 01:35

Originally Posted By: Superku
The warning is now gone, thank you!

Unfortunately, I have to retract my words. The "invalid call in event"-warning has appeared again. frown Situation was as follows:

Object involved in collision:
Code:
void spike_event()
{
	if(you == superku) superku.health = 0;
}

action spike()
{
	c_setminmax(my);
	set(my,POLYGON | FLAG2 | UNLIT);
	my.event = spike_event;
	my.emask |= ENABLE_IMPACT;
}

Player function contains the following code (as seen in my previous posts on the beta forum):
superku_walk(); // contains c_move, see below
superku_fix(); // contains c_trace, this is where the warning appears

c_move:
Code:
c_ignore(group_superku,group_blocker2,10,0);
c_move(me,nullvector,vector(0,0,my.skill50*time_step),IGNORE_PASSABLE | IGNORE_PUSH | IGNORE_CONTENT);

Again, as already discussed on the beta forum when I've first described the issue, superku_fix is NO event but issues the warning.
Posted By: snake67

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/18/11 03:19

Hi

I get an error "Script crash" when using "snd_tune". Didnt have this with previous version.

I made a small testlevel to eleminate all influences. Should i mail it?

Here is the code:
Code:
SOUND*	tapstone_sound	=	"tapstone.wav";

void main()
{
	var h;
	ENTITY* e;

level_load("soundtest.wmb");
	wait(5);
	e=ent_create("waypoint.mdl", nullvector, NULL);
	while(1)
	{
		h=ent_playsound(e, tapstone_sound, 100);
		snd_tune(h, 0, 50, 0);
		wait(-1);
	}
}

Posted By: 3run

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/18/11 12:40

I couldn't get sounds to work with trial version... empty prototypes, it seems that it can't load .dll, I've placed it in acknex plugin folder and tried to place it in projects folder as well....
Posted By: snake67

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/18/11 14:48

For me sound works but not snd_tune. In above example the sound is heard once and then the error box is displayed.

BTW: snd_stop gets script crash too.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/19/11 05:59

Have you already installed oal from "GSTUDIO_DIR\external\oalinst.exe ?"

Best regards.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/19/11 08:29

snake67: I can't confirm this, but snd_tune indeed didn't work in an old beta version. Maybe you just clicked on the wrong place? Please check the engine version in the startup message.

Superku: I can't confirm this either - I don't get that error when I enter your code in the example that you've sent. Can you send an example where this happens?

MTD: There is no difference in code execution between Test and Debug Mode, but there might be a difference in timing - in debug mode the script runs slightly slower. If that caused problems, it can only be fixed in the script - it's unrelated to the beta version.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/20/11 10:28

When I open an wmb file by double clicking on its icon and I press F11 to go to stats panel, I get "Empty Function called in def_debug" (I already have downloaded the .dll and sound_test.c works fine)

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/20/11 10:56

The same here.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/20/11 15:47

Yes, a statistics function was erroneously left in the script - please comment out lines 156 and 157 in default.c:

if(pX_stats)
num_bodies = pX_stats(1);

- We still can not reproduce the 2 other problems reported by Iglarion and Superku, and would appreciate an example project if the problem is not disappeared meanwhile.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/20/11 19:00

Hi JCL,
problem is still here, sorry i was busy last days but now i will make a test level. This will be finished today.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/21/11 00:04

Quote:
We still can not reproduce the 2 other problems reported by Iglarion and Superku, and would appreciate an example project if the problem is not disappeared meanwhile.

JCL, could you please leave "Mark as Edited?" checked when you edit your posts? I've missed a lot of your changes because of this.

(I think) I've isolated the problem, it occurs when you set "my.event = NULL;" in the obstacle's event. Here's an example:
http://www.superku.de/Superku_JCL4.zip

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/21/11 09:57

Thanks! This should help to fix the problem.

bug in switch function? - 09/22/11 15:12

Hi,

habe seit Beta version 8.30.2 ein Problem mit folgender Switch function meines Projectes. In der 8.20 ging sie noch einwandfrei.
Code:
function level1_bild()
{
switch (vVideo) // Überprüfe Variable der Videoauflösung
	{
	case 1:
	set(lev1,SHOW); // Zeige das Bild
        wait(16);
        reset(lev1,SHOW); // zeige das Bild nicht
	break;
	case 2:
	set(lev1a,SHOW);
   wait(16);
   reset(lev1a,SHOW);
	break;
	default:
	//Hier nix
	}
}

Es kommt folgende Fehlermeldung : Malfunction W1511 invalid call in event level1_bild. Laut Handbuch kommt diese ja wenn etwas im level von bestimmte Functionen (events) verändert wird. Die ist ja nicht der Fall da ja nur Ladebild je nach Auflösung gezeigt wird. Ist das ein Bug oder ein Fehler in meiner Function?

Englisch.

since the Beta 8.30.2 update, have i a problem with my swich fuction. With the 8.20 function it correctly. I get the follow error: Malfunction W1511 invalid call in event level1_bild. I have read the manual and it says the the error came when wat chaning in the level. But this do the function not, they only shows a picture with diffrent size dependent of the resolution. Its that a Bug or is the swich function not correct.

Re: bug in switch function? - 09/22/11 19:45

Mehr ein compiler Error, aber: Dir fehlt ein break; oder zumindest irgendwas anderes am Ende vom default case. Einfach leer lassen ist, zumindest in Standard C, illegal:

Quote:

main.c:20:17: error: label at end of compound statement: expected statement [1]

Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/23/11 08:05

There's certainly nothing wrong with switch-case, but the wrong event warning was already reported - see bug list.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/23/11 13:38

ah, ok. Thx for the answer JCL.
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/25/11 05:40

I may be out of place with this, so please forgive...

This is my first attempt with Gamestudio in Windows 7,
And Ive loaded up A8.30.2 (trial ATM).

Even with an 'empty' project, I regularly get the
windows7 whinge "xxxx has stopped working".
Where XXXXX is either acknex.exe or sed.exe.

The error only occurs on closing the acknex window,
either by close button, or by hitting the escape key.

Im pretty new to Win7, but Im pretty sure Ive got everything
set to admin-level permissions.

Any ideas anyone?

And this is the empty project I speak of
Click to reveal..
Code:
//
#include <acknex.h>
#include <default.c>
void main()
{
	wait(1);		level_load(NULL);		wait(1);		diag("\n\n\n");
	//------------------------------------------------------------

while(1)
	{

wait(1);
	}
}
//

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/25/11 07:46

This might be an "admin rights issue". You - or your applications - are not allowed to write in the "Programs" directory and thus they cannot write files. Try to run SED as administrator.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/25/11 12:17

Ive tried that PadMalcom, makes o difference.

BTW, after the acknex window closes, often acknex.exe is
left running in task manager and needs to be killed manually.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/25/11 12:28

This is the path I'm starting the SED from:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\GStudio8\SED.exe"

It works fine within Windows 7 64 bit.

My Projects are mainly on different partitions than the main C: partition.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/25/11 13:28

I can confirm that I had no such problem on Win7 64Bit.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/25/11 14:10

My install is way 'out there'.
My windows 7 pro 64bit is on C drive.
My gamestudio is of G:\GStudio8.
My project is currently only on ramstick at L:\endless

The odd thing is, it is so intermittant...

And another issue, probably related is this.
If I load the "sf_women.mdl" from gstudio with a ent_create,
SOMETIMES it loads, sometimes it says "invalid format",
when I have changed NOTHING in the code, not even a space...

Im gunna try a re-install, and zip up all my GStudio7 folders,
and try the script from HDD instead of ramstick...

[EDIT]No change. But, before I re-installed, I tried
installing and testing with my A7.86.2 Commercial, and
it DOESNT suffer the same problems, it works fine...

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/25/11 16:30

I have win7 pro x64 on C
I have Gstudio8 on D:\Installs\GameStudioA8
I have Gstudio7 on D:\Installs\GameStudioA7
I have my projects on D:\GameDev\Workspace\<project_name>
C and D are different HDDs on same pc.

Everything works fine, also loaded sf_women about 40 times over, no corruption. Corruption is probably because of ramstick, it could have some hardware problems so that it sometimes works and sometimes not.

I remember having that sort of crash sometime ago, it turned out it was not related to gamestudio if i remember right.

Try installing Microsoft Security Essentials and run a scan. It is one of the things that Microsoft done right, it's free for those who have legit windows copies, and you probably wont need another antimalware-antivirus software.

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/25/11 17:45

Hiya Quad. Could be right about SF_Woman, moved project to HDD and that
problem went away. Maybe PC is too fast for operating straight from usb...

MSE didnt help either. Found nothing.

But, I did prevent it from doing any "Windows update".
Im gunna try that now, even though I dont WANT to.
Ive seen windows7 patches kill so many games now it scares me...

Re: Gamestudio 8.30.2 Public Beta - 09/25/11 19:39

I am running a windows that most up-do-date updates are installed. There are some problematic updates, you could directly download the sp1 from microsofts website and see if this helps.
© 2024 lite-C Forums