Gamestudio 8.46 public beta

Posted By: jcl

Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/10/15 08:12

Gamestudio version 8.46 is now available for the usual 1-week public beta test before becoming the official release. You can download it here:

http://server.conitec.net/down/gstudio8_setup.exe

This interim update addresses many small but annoying engine and lite-C issues that accumulated over the years. A list of all changes can be found here:

http://manual.3dgamestudio.net/newfeatures8.htm

Install the update over your Gamestudio 8.45 version. Please report any problems to the bug forum.
Posted By: 3run

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/10/15 08:46

Great to see an update! Thank you jcl!
I wanted to ask about that OBB collusion problem which I've reported earlier. No luck to get it fixed soon?

Best regards

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/10/15 08:52

Afraid not. OBB is an external library that was never touched for almost a decade. Thus a modification is not really easy. It's on our list, but for the next time you must live with it.
Posted By: CodeMaster

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/10/15 09:13

input_init - thank you a lot for this!
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/10/15 09:19

It's good to see that the engine is still in development.
Is there a hope to see a some other updates this year?
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/10/15 09:43

Quote:
Exceeding max_entities does now not terminate the application anymore.
, yay thanks laugh . And the new ifelse will come in handy too.

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/10/15 18:02

Originally Posted By: jcl
Afraid not. OBB is an external library that was never touched for almost a decade. Thus a modification is not really easy. It's on our list, but for the next time you must live with it.
It's good to hear that it's 'on the list', thank you very much!

Best reagards
Posted By: Rackscha

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/11/15 10:05

Quote:
The operator precedence was changed so that expressions like mystruct.array[123] need no parentheses anymore.

I have to say: thanks! While i complained a lot about the last couple of years(and this was definetly on my list) it's good to see this quirk being fixed(i know ffor the compiler it's no quirk, but compared to other compilers) laugh

Quote:
The ifelse function is a more convenient substitute for the C ?: operator than if..else.

That's quite usefull. Is it implemented by the compiler directly or as "normal" function with normal parameters? A small note in the manual for the difference between IFELSE(function) and the C ?: operator at runtime might be usefull for beginners in this case.

The difference occurs for example in this case:

Lite-C
Code:
x = IfElse(A==B, GetMyValX(), GetMyValY());

C
Code:
x = (A==B) ? GetMyValX() : GetMyValY();(

The difference is:
In Lite-C it will always call both functions to push their result as parameters. In C only the evaluated path is executed, which means only one function is called, which results in way less overhead. So if both functions are quite expensive, it's better to restructure the code to use a normal if. Assuming IFELSE is "just" a function.

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/11/15 12:44

It is a function that is not really complex:

var ifelse(BOOL c,var a,var b) { if(c) return a; return b; }

And yes, unlike ?: all branches are executed. For not executing branches we're using the old fashioned if.

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/13/15 09:01

I have another question, jcl. Will you add additional shapes (or at least one more - capsule) for OBB library, if we will collect enough votes for it over the forum (let's say). The reasonы why I ask this now are:

1 - community members kept asking for this for a quite long time and kept on ranting that OBB with only elipsoid doesn't fit their (our) needs;
2 - now, when you said that it's just an external library which wasn't really ever touched, I understand (at least I hope so) why you refused to add another collusion shape back then. Probably cause it didn't really seemed to be worthy messing around with external library which works as it is (out of the box), but now you, when you are going to look for that BUG I've reported and going to mess around with that library anyway, maybe there is a way to add one more collusion shape, to satisfy US (community members, which still help to keep Acknex undead)? We could do a vote, to see if people are in need of one more collusion shape (CAPSULE).

Best regards

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/13/15 10:27

I think I would like a capsule shape too, since I ran into collision problems too with fps games.
But is ellipsoid collision the default one and is it visible when clicking f11 twice?
I don't know if I even have ellipsoid collision activated (I only see retangles with f11).
sorry for my newbness at this tongue

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/13/15 14:30

Originally Posted By: Reconnoiter
But is ellipsoid collision the default one and is it visible when clicking f11 twice?
I don't know if I even have ellipsoid collision activated (I only see retangles with f11).
It depends on what kind of collusion you have (model vs sprite, model vs level block etc).
Take a look at this:

As you can see it's Ellipsoid vs Polygon, when you collide with terrain, map, level or model with POLYGON flag set on (moving entity is elipsoid, surface it collides with is polygonal). What I would like to have is to be able to switch between Capsule and Ellipsoid shape (same for trace with USE_BOX flag set on). I remember a lot of old wolf members asked for this before.

Best regards.

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/14/15 13:12

A capsule shape had certainly advantages over an ellipsoid, but the ellipsoid is hardwired in the OBB library. It supports no other shapes for polygonal collision. But for other collision shapes you can use the physics engine.

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/14/15 17:29

A capsule shape had certainly advantages over an ellipsoid, but the ellipsoid is hardwired in the OBB library. It supports no other shapes for polygonal collision. But for other collision shapes you can use the physics engine.
I know about the physX engine, it's another topic to disscuss.. cause it's outdated as hell and it's not suitable for advanced movement (only rigid one is).
Posted By: sivan

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/25/15 07:09

yes, unfortunately OBB does not work safely without using workarounds.
(I don't even use c_move any more, just c_trace and vector operations that handles pushing/bouncing-off in case of collisions)

a better solution would be to upgrade to, and integrate PhysX3.3, as other engines did.

and a lot of collision problems could be avoided by integrating the Recast/Detour navmesh pathfinder, as other engines did (nearly finished by WJBender's Peragro plugin). this will prevent from a lot of useless collision with level surfaces, when movement is allowed only on navmesh surfaces. it would also result in much easier enemy AI creation.

but it would require investing some time...

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/25/15 07:35

Originally Posted By: sivan
a better solution would be to upgrade to, and integrate PhysX3.3, as other engines did.

and a lot of collision problems could be avoided by integrating the Recast/Detour navmesh pathfinder, as other engines did (nearly finished by WJBender's Peragro plugin). this will prevent from a lot of useless collision with level surfaces, when movement is allowed only on navmesh surfaces. it would also result in much easier enemy AI creation.

+1

If you aren't going to add any additional shape to OBB, then at least upgrade physX. There is almost finished plugin made by 3dgs_snake. Recast/Detour navmesh pathfinder will also be a great help!

Greets

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/25/15 16:43

Originally Posted By: sivan
yes, unfortunately OBB does not work safely without using workarounds.
(I don't even use c_move any more, just c_trace and vector operations that handles pushing/bouncing-off in case of collisions)

, +1 here too.

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 08/25/15 17:54

Ok, I'll see what we can do for the next update.

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 09/11/15 10:21

A slightly newer version 8.46.3 was uploaded (same link).

This version contains a fix of the bug reported by kabus22: on some PCs a published game crashed on exit.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 09/11/15 20:05

Neat!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 09/11/15 21:21

Windows pops up two safety screens.
override needed to install for both.
Issue unknown publisher.

And same issue with my published builds, I had to make assurances with testers that the override was safe for my build.

Back to the point, Is there a reason windows doesn't trust the publisher of this software, e.x. 3gds full/update? IS there a correction that can be made?
Posted By: 41Lumber

Re: Gamestudio 8.46 public beta - 11/09/15 15:43

I would still love to see the "Can't open mouse device" error removed from the load screen.

Edit: Outputting "Mouse not found" to stdout would be much preferred as this would be more consistent with normal startup behavior.
© 2024 lite-C Forums