Newbie Showcase

Posted By: sPlKe

Newbie Showcase - 09/26/06 18:53

How bout a newbie showcase forum, where newbs post their stuff like. my first model or something...

and please moderate showcase 2 better...
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/26/06 22:07

Mmm, but how to define a newbie? Anyways, the idea is reasonable, maybe we do need a seperate part for the 'look @ my first model ever' posts, no offense to anyone, but it makes the forum look better ... The gallery page (what shows off 3dgs visual capabilities) has a direct link to showcase I and II, however in showcase I it's mostly models being shown, not the engine itself in action. Fair enough models are usually part of the work in progress, but spike's got a point ..

Cheers
Posted By: Rad_Daddy

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/26/06 23:50

part of me feels like this is not needed, because isnt the definition of Showcase 1 works in progress. This dosent discriminate by saying "Good works in progress..." because lets face it, were not all good game designers here. Plus, we have all paied the 50+ dollars for the engine... so we are all entitled to show our work equally.

However, on the other side, I kinda agree. To have a section specifically for first-timers may work, but part of me thinks the forum wont get any attention, simply because its basically a compilation of sub-par work. Maybe Im wrong... Anyways, those are my thoughts, do with them as you will .

Regards,
Raddaddy

Edit1: I also agree that it will be hard to efficiently define the boundaries of the forum.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/28/06 08:39

Well better have a model showcase instead of a newbie showvase then, the good professional models do most often not belong to a project WIP or something from gamestudio, just to show off the pro skills of some members here. I think showcase I and II should be for projects only, newbie or not. Just put the models in a different forum section...
Posted By: FBL

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/28/06 08:57

Try telling a newbie he's a newbie.
You'll either get tears or flames - or both.

A modeling showcase could be a solution, but I'm not sure if we don't have enough sub forums already.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/28/06 14:53

Yeah, I agree, trying to define who's a newbie is actually not a good idea, we don't want to scare anyone away, nor offend any of the new guys. Not every new guy is a newbie, not every guy that's around since 2000 is an expert modeler either.

However a separate forum for all these modeling showcases would be somewhat nice, or maybe we all should add a [MODEL] tag or something. And a [GAME] tag for a game that's showcasing some work in progress. It's a choice between yet another sub forum, or add tags I think, maybe tags are the way to go...

Cheers

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/28/06 15:02

Also threads with nothing saying titles like "things that I've been working on..." "new stuff" "my first try" "please look!!!!!" should be deleted.
I tend to skip threads which such topics - especially in the scripting forum.
If more people did so, maybe more people would learn to use a proper title.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/28/06 15:13

Yes. I agree with Firoball. I also hate such topics especially in combination with thousands of "!"

Stuff like "PLEEEAAAASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!" or "yet another modelling approach..." or whatever is nonsense.

We could also let it like it is but with a better moderation of Showcase II and maybe an additional Gallery like this:

- shows only very good projects
- nobody can answer / reply (except the original poster)
- an art moderator has to kick off or has to set it free
Posted By: broozar

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/28/06 15:20

on the other hand, you can already tell what's in these posts headlined with things like "PHYSICS?!?!?!!!?=??!". i like that gallery idea alot, with a strong moderating hand, not to let it end up like the "Let's rock a6"-thread, which followed a similar approach.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/28/06 15:20

Well it may not be easy to define a proper title. This includes those who don't know anything about defining main ideals, purpose of a topic, identifying a conclusion, etc.

It's all about "reading comprehension."

However, if a topic is pretty simple, and if a newbie shows his/her first model to the community, for example, like a high-definition TV, then a topic starter can be a little more specific other than "my first model." What they can mention in the subject is "my first model: HDTV" or "My HDTV model -- have a look."

I hope you get my ideal.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/28/06 16:19

When joining a forum the first step to learn is how to post.
This also includes chosing a proper title. This certainly is not impossible and can be expected from any serious poster.

Your examples "my first model: HDTV" or "My HDTV model -- have a look." are just fine. Leave away HDTV and it becomes pretty much senseless.
Posted By: Grimber

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/28/06 17:03

'newbie' ' my first...' forum not needed IMO. Showcase 1 and showcase 2 should just be re designated..... SC1 for 'give me feedback on this...' like topics, SC2 to show off actual WIP projects..

Redesignating the SC1 and SC2 then you could also resolve the Selling/Contribution debate and put For Sale in showcase2 since sellign items would be showcasing a final product, not contributing them

also adding another forum will just add to the '.. not moderated enough...'
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/28/06 17:20

Sorry I have to disagree with some of the replys here. If we start deleting post based off of the subject then we become nothing more then forum nazis. I read so much about how 3dgs has a great community and I think this will deffinately lead to a decline in that area.

Alot of users here are either children or non english - german speaking users and is sometimes hard enough for them to post let alone have to worry about using a "proper subect" Personally I have no problem with topics like my first model or some stuff I did. While not the greatest choice for topics both explain pretty much what their about. Subjects like *&^*&^*^* would be another thing entirely and should be concidered as spam. Not that Ive ever seen a topic like that.

Some one already said it but you can easily distinguish a nonserious poster from a more expeirenced one for the most part. Not to sound rude but if you dont like the subject just dont read it.

Let freedom of speech remain free. As long as the user isnt breaking any forum rules I see no reason to delete their post. Not only will this lead to angry posters who spent that last 20 mins making a post but could also lead to a lot of confusion coming back to check on your post and not finding it.

A seperate forum isnt a bad idea tho.
Posted By: tindust

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/28/06 18:14

You have some really good points FeiHongJr. I agree. The way to go would be to encourage posters to live up to a posting style that we would like to see.

On the topic:
A new forum specifically geared to getting/giving feedback I think is a good idea. But I understand the conserns:

Rad Daddy:
Quote:

part of me feels like this is not needed, because isnt the definition of Showcase 1 works in progress.

and Firoball:
Quote:

A modeling showcase could be a solution, but I'm not sure if we don't have enough sub forums already.

I agree, showcase forums should be allowed to be what their name indicate, a place where more or less completed work can be showcased, (i.e.) shown off, and well, possibly torn to shreds if it's bad, which does not happen that often.

Then there is the point made by PHeMoX:
Quote:

Mmm, but how to define a newbie?

A so-called "newbie" forum wich immediately brands the poster with the "newbie" brand is not very inviting. In fact, I would even say that no one is a beginner (newbie) in everything. The forum would have to be inviting to everone.

As Grayson Peddie says:
Quote:

Well it may not be easy to define a proper title. This includes those who don't know anything about defining main ideals, purpose of a topic, identifying a conclusion, etc.
It's all about "reading comprehension."

I agree. A more neutral and supportive title would be desireable, one that invites modelers and possibly other artists from all levels to submit their work for some (hopfully) good quality feedback from others that do similar work. There's a term for this, it's called Peer Review. Any self-respecting community that tries to improve its work and help everyone else in the community to improve has one. Perhaps that would be the way to go? The forum would invite anyone to get their work, completed or not, peer reviewed.
(Peer Review your model/sprite/animation/etc. here). The purpose of the forum would be that and only that.

food for more thoughts on this topic

Cheers,
tindust

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/28/06 22:17

Quote:

If we start deleting post based off of the subject then we become nothing more then forum nazis.

Bad comparison. See it more as forum police.
It's common in other forums.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 09/29/06 05:48

Your right just a bad attempt at humour on my part
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/01/06 14:13

best example why the idea is not all that bad is the new head model in sc1...

cmone its a frikkin sphere with a butt ugly skin...

stuff liek this really need either their own forum or we need another sc like:

sc1: simple and beginner work
sc2: WIP (advanced)
sc3: finnished stuff

maybe this coudl help?
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/01/06 15:41

Well I would go with 3 showcase forums too (or tags as mentioned above):

SC1: stand-alone/learning-purpose stuff
(get C&C to enhance your skills to do a certain thing (modeling e.g.))

SC2: projects-wip
(get C&C to enhance your projects and find bugs)

SC3: projects-finished
(showcase your finished project and maybe learn something for future projects)

just an idea though
Posted By: beegee

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/01/06 16:25

That sounds great and will help you where to post a project/model.

And we should rename the SC1 and to SC2, so new users will find fast the correct forum section. For example SC1 to Projects-wip(other users will give some c&c), SC2 to Projects-finished(future plans)... Because often the SC2 is used for posting commercial projects and SC1 for easy or unfinished projects. This will help us a lot.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/01/06 17:14

Well that's more moderating in Showcases, as we will have to be more active on keeping the 3 forums clean as we've doing with only 2 showcase forums.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/01/06 17:43

Quote:

That sounds great and will help you where to post a project/model.

And we should rename the SC1 and to SC2, so new users will find fast the correct forum section. For example SC1 to Projects-wip(other users will give some c&c), SC2 to Projects-finished(future plans)... Because often the SC2 is used for posting commercial projects and SC1 for easy or unfinished projects. This will help us a lot.

I think the difference is rather clear, because it really rarely happens that people post in the wrong showcase. I think the idea for another showcase, for models would be fine. I think such a showcase wouldn't actually need a lot of moderation anyways, since it would allow almost anything related to 'temporary work in progress' or uuhm 'newbie-level skills-improving material', I would be willing to help out with moderating, in case it's needed.

Cheers

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/01/06 19:24

Quote:

cmone its a frikkin sphere with a butt ugly skin...

lmao Thats gotta be a joke in view of this thread

I sure wish I could read german. I tried using babelfish but we all know it pretty much sucks. Ugggh I can understand alot of models that are posted there but that one is rediculous.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/01/06 19:38

It's not a joke, that head thread is a real one ...

Cheers
Posted By: broozar

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/01/06 20:30

these posts make me think about the self-confidence of some here. if you are willing to posts stuff like this head-"model", you possibly won't enter a thread called "newb showcase". but surely i see the need for another section... maybe just call it WIP, rename sc1 to "3dgs projects" and sc2 to "games showcase". this prevents modellers/newbies to post sth. into the old sc1 and 2, because they are reserved for "projects" and "games" only.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/01/06 21:47

Quote:

Well that's more moderating in Showcases, as we will have to be more active on keeping the 3 forums clean as we've doing with only 2 showcase forums.

That sounds like a new moderator place is free
No I'm not voluntering <.<

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/02/06 04:31

No, what I mean is if you have more than 2 Showcase forums, I will have to view every forum to make sure the threads belong in the right place and that it mets with the forum guidelines.

A modeler/project (SC1) forum and finished game project forum (SC2) are fine and makes it simple for us moderators to moderate the forums.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/02/06 09:38

Valid points you got there Grayson.
Edit: However SC 1 is becoming a junk-yard again, well kind of.
If there is a call for more moderators I bet there will be enough people to do that job.

Why not use the mentioned tags, like [model] or [project] and so on plus the rating system?
Then everybody else can see if the showcased thing is worth a look or not.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/02/06 20:58

[Model] and [Project] would be a good thing. We got a couple of moderators moderating SC1 and SC2, so I don't think we need more moderators for Showcase forums.

How about if I put my post below ROMAC's thread (unlocking/locking topic, of course)?:

Quote:

For helping members of the forum to determine if you're starting a thread about your project-related model or your game project, for showing your project-related model(s), add [Model] before the subject and for WIP Projects, add [Project] at the beginning of the subject

This is to say that users can read two posts in a sticky thread instead of two sticky threads before posting.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/03/06 09:35

Yes I think this would be a good start, however I'm not sure how many people will use this.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/03/06 10:16

They have to, else they should be removed, or maybe the mod's can change the subject.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/03/06 10:26

hey now we're back to the nazi thinking I was accused of
Posted By: Sjoerd

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/03/06 11:07

In many 3d forums you will find "what are you working on threads", just to post things that you don't want to make a thread for.
Maybe such a thread will work here for models.
Posted By: ISG

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/03/06 21:37

I believe if we offered a Newbie Forum to showcase their works it would be totally ignored as some, a good majority I would say, would consider their work to be placed on an upper-level forum of the same sort (as SC1 or SC2).

The majority percentile of the users that start are the younger teens, and we all when we were once teens know how stubborn we were and thought as our work as greatness when we completed our first item. But this is just my point of view and I could be totally off, we all then again have our own opinions.

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/03/06 22:13

Quote:

In many 3d forums you will find "what are you working on threads", just to post things that you don't want to make a thread for.
Maybe such a thread will work here for models.

Very good idea

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/03/06 23:11

Quote:

This is to say that users can read two posts in a sticky thread instead of two sticky threads before posting.

Very good, maybe change the title too, so everybody knows this new rule. As simple *updated* will do I think,

Cheers

Re: Newbie Showcase - 10/04/06 00:56

'kay. Done!
© 2024 lite-C Forums