A7 and when

Posted By: MaxF

A7 and when - 01/24/07 23:58

Hi JCL and everyone

What will be in A7 and when will it be out?

I take it will be the following:

1) Interactive Shader Editor
2) New Rendering Kernel
3) Lite-C Compiler
4) MED / Model Improvements

What else?

Posted By: TheExpert

Re: A7 and when - 01/25/07 14:20

simple response i have some time to spend in theses days

Actual 3DGS features are not enought ? , or do you need some sepcial
feature , or some workflow (shader editor), more power ?

If you are in a game , just playing or prototyping , A6 is sufficient,
even some cool pro games can be made with it like some in showcase 2.

If you have a real serious team or if you are making a serious game,
if you have art , all primary ideas of your game than
if you need other things , power :
just consider another 3D package : open source or not !
Posted By: bstudio

Re: A7 and when - 01/25/07 14:30

I don't get it TheExpert, you always seem to downgrade the 3dgs. Sure it's usually a beginners tool, but in the right hands it can produce some great looking games. And yes torque and BV maybe better, but you can still produce some serious games with it

Re: A7 and when - 01/25/07 14:50

Hi

Is BV better does it run faster then 3DGS?

I'm talking about with 200,000 polygons per level, can BV do this?
Posted By: sheefo

Re: A7 and when - 01/25/07 14:59

3D GameStudio is a great engine, it’s just that C-Script is... obsolete. That’s why there is Lite-C on the way

Why did I buy 3DGS A6 when A7 is nearly here? I am so stupid
Posted By: ello

Re: A7 and when - 01/25/07 15:00

bv is not better but different..

but maxF, thou shall not ask when a7 will come!

Re: A7 and when - 01/25/07 15:04

Quote:

but maxF, thou shall not ask when a7 will come!

WHY?

Plus when will A6/7 have:

Lighting
Specular
* Unlimited Lights per scene (i know about this one)
* Light types – Spotlights, Point lights, Directional, Point, Spot, Linear, Area
* HDRi (High Dynamic Range)
Bloom, glow, adaptive exposure controllable via script

Shading

* Configurable lights per object
* Stencil shadows
* Soft shadow light mapping
* GPU shadow volume extrusion

Posted By: lostclimate

Re: A7 and when - 01/25/07 16:27

the thing about that question is that your supposed to program hdr and bloom and all that on your own, your not looking for an engine it sounds like your looking for a point and click game maker, unlimited lights will be coming soon, dont worry about that, its already been stated many many times, we already have stencil shadows, i dont understand the configurable lights per object, like how it is affected? cuz we already have that, about the only thing the engine cant do yet that your asking for is HDR cuz you dont have accesss to the depth buffer.
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: A7 and when - 01/25/07 19:38

I heard A7 would have unlimited light per scene, when is it coming out?
Posted By: Doug

Re: A7 and when - 01/25/07 20:51

Older users should know by now that we never answer the A7 release date question.

We'll announce A7's release date the moment we are ready to do so.
Posted By: PrenceOfDarkness

Re: A7 and when - 01/26/07 05:05

Yes they dont like to release it sooner so this way they can make a few extra bucks by having you upgrade. smart strategy.
Posted By: Bot190

Re: A7 and when - 01/26/07 12:03

its because they don't want to be pressed for time when there schedual slips...
Posted By: mk_1

Re: A7 and when - 01/26/07 12:24

@PrenceOfDarkness:
People that buy a6 or upgrade to a higher version a short period before a7 is released get a free or cheaper upgrade to a7. That's how it worked with a5/a6.
Posted By: jcl

Re: A7 and when - 01/26/07 16:11

We do not know when A7 will be released, except that it will be probably this year. A7 will contain the new renderer that is currently in beta test, and lite-C. For all other features it depends on their release date whether they make it still in A6, or in A7.

Lite-C as a separate product will in short be freely available for a public beta test. The current A6 keys are also valid for A7. So when you order A6 or an A6 edition upgrade, you automatically get free upgrade to A7 when it's released.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: A7 and when - 01/26/07 16:14

whats about mine, did i order soon enought to get A7 for free aswell? ;D
Posted By: FBL

Re: A7 and when - 01/26/07 19:17

How is "current" defined?

Re: A7 and when - 01/26/07 19:58

I can't speak for JCL but, before people start speculating wildly, if you ordered a key before 2007 it isn't one of the "new keys". We (Conitec San Diego) started issuing new keys in the second week of this month.

JCL will state the actual dates soon but the big news is: "Buy A6 today, get a free A7 upgrade!"

Re: A7 and when - 01/26/07 20:07

Ok, so no 2nd hand stuff. Good to know. Thanks
Posted By: bstudio

Re: A7 and when - 01/26/07 20:17

damn too bad the old keys wont work with A7. well i will just have to buy an upgrade then (which i will defenatly do)

Re: A7 and when - 01/27/07 01:10

HOLY CRAP! If your saying that if I upgrade to A6 pro now and get a free upgrade to A7 when it comes out then I'll call right now lol..

Re: A7 and when - 01/27/07 01:34

duh, no free A7 for me

Re: A7 and when - 01/27/07 02:53

Sorry Doug, It was intended to be a bit of a joke. A6 still has a lot of life in it yet. I'm not looking to upgrade for at least 2 more years(excluding lite c which will be upon release).
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: A7 and when - 01/27/07 12:30

A7 are directx10 (the vista experiment)
or are compatible with direcxt9 also (xp more computer)
I read the games in some where the vista games need
a rating from one place(I not renember the name) to run (from 2000$ to 3000$, every game)

Re: A7 and when - 01/27/07 13:48

1-Maybe
2-Yes
3-Thats just bullsh*t
Posted By: Turotulco

Re: A7 and when - 01/27/07 14:45

Quote:

A7 are directx10 (the vista experiment)
or are compatible with direcxt9 also (xp more computer)
I read the games in some where the vista games need
a rating from one place(I not renember the name) to run (from 2000$ to 3000$, every game)

Executables created for Vista will need to be signed. The process is fairly simple but it's not really cheap, although you can pick up a certificate for $5-700 USD per year. There are many different certifying agencies, and basically they will put you through a bunch of hoops so they can establish that you are who you say you are. Then they send you a key. You take that key and run it through a utility that packages your executable with a valid signature (based on your key) Ever after, when your executable runs, Vista will verify the executable with the certifying agency. What I am not clear on yet is whether it only does that at the first execution, periodically, or every time. Some folks have dial-up and this creates a can of worms. But it not only affects games, it affects all software produced for the PC.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Digital Rights Management! Often referred to as the longest suicide note in history. I program for a medium sized company, so we can easily eat the moderate cost and hassle. We are testing on two Vista machines at this time. But it's going to be hell for Indies I think.

That being said, there are ways to make your exe's run on Vista without the certification, but it requires your user to edit values in his security settings to allow your application to run as a trusted application. This will work for close friends, or a small development team. But to release a game to the public, the only acceptable route is going to be to buy your certification and sign your exe.

Re: A7 and when - 01/27/07 15:01

Addendum.

The Vista signing seems to be necessary only for exe's run over a network. I'm struggling my way through the certification process this weekend. This is all new ground. I do know that we have installed and run two non-signed applications locally on a Vista laptop and had no problem. But when we access the .exe's over a mapped network drive, we get the certificate warning. So likely it will not be a problem for locally run games after all. MMORPG may be a different issue. But as long as you are not executing remote apps, all seems OK.

Re: A7 and when - 01/29/07 21:19

My understanding is that games also need to be signed if you want to use the ESRB rating system.

Microsoft knows that requiring everything to be signed would be suicide for Vista (all your old software would stop working). So they are starting slowly.

Re: A7 and when - 01/30/07 05:35

That makes sense. We've already got our old legacy database development environment on Vista, and the IDE for that one is 16 bit. I didn't think Vista was supposed to handle 16 bit. Even the old .hlp format files are functional. And that tool is not a signed application. Our main app is also installed on Vista and works fine when run locally. It's only while executing modules over a network that we have been recieving content warnings. So it seems like for the time being, all is well in Mudville.

In bringing Vista to market MS has had to back off on a lot of technologies they were pushing hard for, from the new file system to XAML. Hopefully they will find it necessary to take a second look at DRM also.

Here's an interesting BLOG on the subject:
Potential Vista Headaches

While I don't think MS will be doing anything fundementally stupid marketing wise, it does look like they are taking tighter control over the user environment. For Indies it may be a double edged sword. For game engine developers it may be an opportunity.

OK, this should be on the 3DGS and Vista thread. I'll shut up now. LOL
Posted By: George

Re: A7 and when - 01/30/07 10:34

Since we're talking A7 and speed here, my tests show that the new kernel is able to run 500-600% faster than A6's rendering kernel. I get 36 fps on my computer in a model-based level where I've got 1,000,000 polygons visible at the same time! PC specs: P4 2.8GHz, GeForce 7600 GT. We should start saving money for A7 right now...
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: A7 and when - 01/30/07 11:35

Quote:

The current A6 keys are also valid for A7. So when you order A6 or an A6 edition upgrade, you automatically get free upgrade to A7 when it's released.

Edit: I want to know, if I buy A6 upgrade now, will I get the new key?
Posted By: dingenskirchen

Re: A7 and when - 01/31/07 14:58

May I jump in just here... I hope I have got it right, too... I have ordered my A6 Pro last sunday. It will arrive here tomorrow. So I will also get A7 for free?! (I´ve ordered in your German web store, of course)

Thanks for the information.
Marco

Re: A7 and when - 01/31/07 15:10

yeah, JCL or Doug can you make it perfectly clear, wether or not if we upgrade to A6 now, we get A7 upgrade free later.

Re: A7 and when - 01/31/07 15:48

Dingenskirchen: After you've installed your key file, check the files in the Gamestudio folder. If you find a file with the extension ".key" you're good for A7.

Re: A7 and when - 01/31/07 15:54

Quote:

Dingenskirchen: After you've installed A6 and your key file, check the files in the Gamestudio folder. If there's a file with the extension ".key" you're good for A7.

Thank you! But what if not...? That would be unfair. So to be really sure I could send back the unopened box to conitec when it arrives tomorrow, get my money back and order it again as soon as the official statement is released? I don´t want to loose any money just because of a few days ordering too early...

Or can you guarantee that I will get another licence (key) file if this one isn´t good for A7?

Thanks again,
Marco

Re: A7 and when - 01/31/07 16:05

Well, let me formulate it this way: sending an unopened box back to us would make us very angry and will get you on our Black List. Believe me, you don't want to be on that list!

However, you're free to scroll back this thread until my free upgrade statement, and check its date. If you've ordered your version after that announcement, A7 will obviously be free for you.
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: A7 and when - 01/31/07 16:22

I've ordered my A6 Pro at 29.12.2006, sorry for one more question of thousands but, will A7 be free for me too?? *hopefull*
If not i will crie as long as you say no
EDIT:
And get it at the 6.1.06 (after your statement)

Re: A7 and when - 01/31/07 16:25

Quote:

However, you're free to scroll back this thread until my free upgrade statement, and check its date. If you've ordered your version after that announcement, A7 will obviously be free for you.

Oh yes, you´re right - my order was after your statement - so everything should be fine

Thanks,
marco
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: A7 and when - 01/31/07 16:45

Quote:

Since we're talking A7 and speed here, my tests show that the new kernel is able to run 500-600% faster than A6's rendering kernel. I get 36 fps on my computer in a model-based level where I've got 1,000,000 polygons visible at the same time! PC specs: P4 2.8GHz, GeForce 7600 GT. We should start saving money for A7 right now...

Smokin' !! I guess that alone is reason enough to start saving for it indeed. By the way, how are prices going to be? Half price when upgrading from A6 pro to A7 pro?

Cheers
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: A7 and when - 01/31/07 17:20

I got mine from this dodgy website, will i get A7 free too?

Don't shoot people I'm kidding. I actually got it from a guy on the street corner who had questionable hygine.

Re: A7 and when - 02/01/07 10:44

Quote:

Dingenskirchen: After you've installed your key file, check the files in the Gamestudio folder. If you find a file with the extension ".key" you're good for A7.

I´ve got my A6 today and I´m glad to see there IS a .key file So I´m looking forward to a free A7 update

Thanks,
Marco

Re: A7 and when - 02/01/07 11:34

wtf, i just read on the out "support the FBX format" wont make it into a6 ? is that really true? omg, i dont have any money left for buying a7

Re: A7 and when - 02/01/07 12:43

Where did you read this??!

Cheers

Re: A7 and when - 02/01/07 12:58

http://www.conitec.net/english/gstudio/news.php

Re: A7 and when - 02/01/07 13:12

Mmmm, okey thanks, that's too bad. It may take a while, but eventually I'll upgrade anyways. There are some long promised things which should still make it into A6 though and I hope they do,

Cheers

Re: A7 and when - 02/01/07 14:29

While the FBX WED import won't work with A6, the FBX MED import will. There's a trick how you can use it for A6 already.

On the lite-C page there's a free MED, which contains a the preliminary version of the FBX importer. You can use that MED instead of your Gamestudio MED.
Posted By: Alexander

Re: A7 and when - 02/01/07 20:17

Hi people,

I have found something by Amazon.de. Have a look at:
3D Game Studio 7 Extra
Posted By: broozar

Re: A7 and when - 02/01/07 23:06

"Dieser Artikel wird am 31. Mai 2007 erscheinen."

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 00:17

Auch den Preis, der dort steht, würde ich nicht so ernst nehmen.
Posted By: checkbutton

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 01:06

Wenn ich ein A5 -> A6 Upgrade kaufe, krieg ich dann ein A7 Upgrade?
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 09:48

Quote:

While the A7 release date is not yet determined, a free A7 upgrade is included in any currently delivered A6 version or upgrade.

I believe "any currently delivered" means whatever the purchase option. I ordered the A6 Pro upgrade this morning Waiting the A6 password now....

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 10:29

@ Checkbutton:
Ja!

Bekomme ich jetzt eigentlich ein Upgrade, ich habe mir am 29.12.06 die Pro bestellt und das war teuer!
Und bitte sagt mir nicht dass wenn ich 3 Tage geduldiger gewesen wäre hätte ich die A7 Pro auch bekommen...

Grüße
Omega

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 12:08

Das möcht ich von JCL selber hören...

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 12:21

Les den Thread doch mal ganz

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 13:16

Ja, aber in meinem Fall geht es ja um ein Versions- und nicht um ein Editionsupgrade. Ich habe damals A4 bestellt und A5 prerelease gekriegt, und wenn ich jetzt A6 bestelle und dann noch ein A7 Upgrade bekomme, würde ich ja 4 GameStudio Versionen zum Preis von 2 bekommen... Das wäre, meines Erachtens, zwar wünschenswert, aber wirtschaftlich gesehen Unsinn.

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 13:18

Ich glaube Upgraden geht auch...
Hoffe nur dass es mit meiner Pro auch klappt, können uns ja die Daumen drücken

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 14:37

Das Angebot des kostenlosen Upgrade gilt fuer alle Bestellungen genau ab dem Termin meiner Ankuendigung auf dem Forum - egal, ob Neubestellung, Versions- oder Editions-Upgrade.

Natuerlich gibt es bei jedem solchen Termin Leute, die gerade 2 Tage vorher bestellt haben und sich nun aergern. Das kann ich vollkommen verstehen, aber irgendwo muss man ja nun eine Termingrenze setzen. Wir haben den Termin gerade deshalb sehr frueh vor das A7 Release gelegt.

Wenn jemand 2 Tage vor meiner Ankuendigung eine Pro Version bestellt hat und lange darauf gespart hat, kann man vielleicht eine Ausnahme machen - in dem Fall bitte ich die Rechnung aufzuheben und spaeter, wenn A7 herauskommt, den Support zu kontaktieren. Das gilt aber wirklich nur fuer Haertefaelle.

Im uebrigen ist A6 noch lange nicht tot. Es wird weiter an A6 gearbeitet und abhaengig vom A7-Releasetermin werden vermutlich noch weitere Updates fuer A6 herauskommen.
Posted By: Alexander

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 14:50

Ich finde es sehr nett, dass es ein solches Angebot überhaupt gibt. Es ist heutzutage ja nicht mehr besonders oft, dass Unternehmen auf Kunden zugehen und sich um diese auch wirklich kümmern.

Ich fühle mich schon seit Jahren hier beim 3DGS wohl und bin jetzt auch am überlegen von der A6 Com auf die Pro zu wechseln. Dadurch würde ich ja ebenfalls das kostenlose Update auf die A7 Pro bekommen und ich glaube ich kann im Namen aller sagen, das ist ein feiner Zug von Conitec.

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 15:05

Ja die Community ist super!
@ jcl:
Dankesehr!
*freude*

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 19:23

Gerade gestern habe ich einen Vortrag zu diesem Thema gehört (Open Innovation schimpft sich das), bei dem Unternehmen und User-Communities eng zusammenarbeiten. Ich finde, dass Conitec das hier wirklich gut und effizient umsetzt.
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 21:12

Wundert mich auch etwas, warum immer nach A7 geschrien wird, was erhoffen sich die Leute davon?

Nur weil die Zahl hoeher ist sind auch net ploetzlich irgned welche Features da.
Ob die Engine verbessert wird und A6 oder A7 heisst ist doch Staub wie Dreck.

Re: A7 and when - 02/02/07 23:17

Quote:

Wundert mich auch etwas, warum immer nach A7 geschrien wird, was erhoffen sich die Leute davon?

Nur weil die Zahl hoeher ist sind auch net ploetzlich irgned welche Features da.
Ob die Engine verbessert wird und A6 oder A7 heisst ist doch Staub wie Dreck.

Mit A7 ist das eben wie mit nem neuen Handy. Plötzlich bist du wieder wichtig

@checkbutton:
ich hoffe doch mal schwer, daß dein Plan aufgeht. Ich hab nämlich einen ziemlich ähnlichen

Re: A7 and when - 02/03/07 19:26

hey... as we now reached the stage of a7...

WHERE'S A8?????!!!!!1111oneone WHEN WILL IT COME OUT!?!?!!!eleven

just wanted to be the first

Re: A7 and when - 02/03/07 20:11

ive already a10

Re: A7 and when - 02/04/07 13:29

A42 ... owned

Re: A7 and when - 02/04/07 13:55

Quote:

A42 ... owned

jcl must have had his 134th birthday then...

Re: A7 and when - 02/04/07 14:02

With my A23 I'll own you all... later.
Posted By: Excessus

Re: A7 and when - 02/04/07 14:12

Quote:

Quote:

A42 ... owned

jcl must have had his 134th birthday then...

I guess it will be more like his 1337th birthday

Re: A7 and when - 02/04/07 14:22

if he'd keep the a6>a7 tempo, probably

Re: A7 and when - 02/04/07 15:50

Maybe he's something like an undead
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: A7 and when - 02/04/07 16:58

Quote:

just consider another 3D package

Which one ?
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: A7 and when - 02/04/07 17:03

Quote:

We'll announce A7's release date the moment we are ready to do so.

Well actually you said 2007
I hope it is confirmed
Working for a R&D oriented company I realize however that it is not so easy to make this kind of forcast

Re: A7 and when - 02/04/07 18:04

Hm I'm living near to A8, A99 and A995. Does that count as well?

(
http://maps.google.de/maps?f=q&hl=de&q=brunnthal&ie=UTF8&z=11&ll=47.971996,11.817856&spn=0.328688,0.866547&om=1
)

Re: A7 and when - 02/04/07 18:25

Hey Firoball A8 is just on the next hill from here, does that count, too?

Re: A7 and when - 02/04/07 19:33

extra, commercial or professional?

Re: A7 and when - 02/04/07 23:19

Quote:

Hey Firoball A8 is just on the next hill from here, does that count, too?

Next hill ey? Are you sure your nickname isn't supposed to read Shorevietnam? j/k

Cheers
Posted By: RruthH

Re: A7 and when - 02/05/07 06:12

Hello!

I bought A6 extra at 01/04/07.

This is 2007 so does it mean i can have the a7 upgrade for free?!
Wohoo!

Problem is, I can't find a file with the .key extension on my Gamestudio Folder.
(

Re: A7 and when - 02/05/07 19:01

it's key.exe

Re: A7 and when - 02/05/07 19:18

I have A94 alpha version *hint to Firoball*

Re: A7 and when - 02/05/07 19:46

Burghausen, Altötting, Mühldorf?
Still B12, Dorfen, Haag ...?

Re: A7 and when - 02/05/07 20:47

@Firoball:
Esslingen bei Stuttgart, B10/ A8. ;-)

@PHeMoX
Sorry, I didn't get your Vietnam-thing.

Re: A7 and when - 02/05/07 21:37

Ah now I know... I think it was... Eggenfelden?

Re: A7 and when - 02/05/07 22:11

The candidate scores 100 points and wins ... a new washing machine.

Mal ehrlich, die A94 is doch ne Katastrophe. Jetzt haben sie zumindest mal bis Marktl gebaut, aber wann der Rest kommt, steht immer noch in den Sternen.
Posted By: old_bill

Re: A7 and when - 02/05/07 22:16

Kübelböck-City.

Aber Spaß bei Seite, ich glaube wir driften ab....

Re: A7 and when - 02/05/07 22:17

Die A94 ist in 20 JAhren nicht durchgehend befahrbar. Aber es müssen wohl noch viele tödliche Unfälle auf der B12 passieren, bis die Naturschützer, Dorfen oder Haag nachgeben.

Re: A7 and when - 02/05/07 22:19

@ Firoball: Full-ACK.
@ old_bill: Wenn dann schon Küblböck, ohne e. Das e ist jetzt unser Stadtlogo, wers nich glaubt: www.eggenfelden.de

Aber jetzt mal Schluss mit OffTopic.

Ich hab' mal ne ganz allgemeine Frage: Kann man denn schon irgendwo sehen, was die A7 leistet, vor allem der neue Rendering-Kernel? So ne Art Pre-Tech-Demo, das wäre mal fein.

Re: A7 and when - 02/05/07 22:24

Eure Website ist ein Traum im Vergleich zu unserer Gemeidnehomepage...

http://www.gemeinde-valley.de/

Re: A7 and when - 02/06/07 04:02

I can't read Deutsch too well, please post in english in an english thread..really I want to read this stuff!!!!

Re: A7 and when - 02/06/07 13:50

You wouldn't be interested in what we write. It's even not interesting for people who can speak German.

Re: A7 and when - 02/06/07 13:52

Nochmal für doofe!
Ist es eine
.key Datei (also key endung)
oder
key.exe -> DENN SO EINE HABE ICH

Re: A7 and when - 02/06/07 14:05

Laut jcl's Post ist die Endung *.key von Bedeutung.

Re: A7 and when - 02/06/07 14:13

Dacht ich auch...
laut Firoball ist es key.exe und nicht irgentwas mit .key

Re: A7 and when - 02/06/07 14:39

Quote jcl:

Quote:

After you've installed your key file, check the files in the Gamestudio folder. If you find a file with the extension ".key" you're good for A7.

Re: A7 and when - 02/06/07 19:29

it's .exe before installing the key
or did this change?

Re: A7 and when - 02/06/07 19:54

Hmm, some people eagerly take even the slightest opportunity to getting confused.

Key.exe is the key archive that you receive from us and unpack in your Gamestudio folder. xxxx.key is a file within that archive if it's an A7-ready key. This file will thus end up in your Gamestudio folder. Hope this clears things up.
Posted By: Xarthor

Re: A7 and when - 02/06/07 20:07

Uhm I have a .key file in my GameStudio folder, so what does this mean?

I haven't purchased any A6 update for a while, in fact I did upgrade to A5 com when A6 was about being released, so I got A6 com for free.
© 2024 lite-C Forums