problems with A6+vista

Posted By: bstudio

problems with A6+vista - 01/25/07 13:46

hi,

I've got my vista corporate edition installed, first backed up my key and updates off course, and tried to use my key with 3dgs. But now it gives this error:
Can't create output file: c:\Program Files\GStudio6\ms\cpi01.dll
what is happening, is A6 not compatible with vista? Although you all say it is:D
Posted By: Doug

Re: problems with A6+vista - 01/25/07 21:32

A6 runs under Vista. This is an install problem.

Do you have the proper security settings to install software on your Vista PC?

Re: problems with A6+vista - 01/26/07 11:33

ehm, where can i set this?? can't seem to find where I should change security settings for this.

Re: problems with A6+vista - 01/26/07 19:17

I don't have a Vista machine in the San Diego office right now (my beta has expired and I'm waiting for the release version). But if my memory serves me, you have to promote yourself to admin level (or something like that). It should be covered in your Vista guide.

----

Okay, here's what a friend tells me: "Right click on the key.exe file and select 'run as administrator'".

Let me know if that works.

Re: problems with A6+vista - 01/26/07 20:16

this worked perfectly, thanks doug. I owe you one!

Re: problems with A6+vista - 01/29/07 21:21

Quote:

this worked perfectly, thanks doug. I owe you one!

No problem.
Thank you for being my first official Vista support question.
Posted By: AlexGFX

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/06/07 08:32

Hmm, this worked for me, but after I got my key working I tried to update to 6.50 it said it was sucesfully updated, but when I look in about it still says 6.11.4

Hmm, odd.

-Alex
Posted By: jcl

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/06/07 15:40

Apply an update only AFTER you've installed your key - not vice versa!

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/06/07 16:03

No, I did I installed my key and then the update.

Still says that.

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/06/07 16:09

A certain file - ackwed.dta - in your folder was apparently not updated. It's responsible for the version number. This can happen when you've accidentally set it read/only, or when WED was still running during the update. The update process should give an error message in that case.

Make sure that the Gamestudio folder and all files inside are writable, MED and WED are closed, and you have administrator rights on your PC. Update again, and check that you don't get error messages.

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/06/07 17:06

Thanks JCL, the files were read only, and I updated again... But still says 6.11.2

:-/ I made sure all the subfolders and files were read only too, and I got no error message only a GameStudio has been updated box.

Cheers,
Alex

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/08/07 17:02

Still no luck Anymore ideas?

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/08/07 20:51

Have you extracted ackwed.dta from the update or not? What's its size and date?

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/09/07 01:14

1/8/2007 - 1,462 kb

I think it extracted I got no error from the update.

Edit: I right clicked and went to properties, it is read only, but I unselect it and give windows permission as soon as it's done I closed it and open it back up it's read only again??? It's changing itself back. O_o
Posted By: Turotulco

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/13/07 10:38

If I recall, dta is one of the "protected" filetypes. Vista *will* take care of you. A couple of things to try...

try to change the attribute from the command line. Navigate to youre directory and use: attrib -r -a -s -h *.* /s /d

Another thing to try, rename the file to have a .txt extension. Then fix the attributes, then rename the file back to it's original name.

Whatever you do, when you get it working, please post the solution back to us. This is going to be an ongoing battle as we move into the brave new future.

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/13/07 22:05

Very strange, I tried what you said, and that didn't work.

I tried to update it in safe mode and it worked, I went to about and it was 6.50. However, when I switched back to normal mode it went back to the old version.

Hmm, very interesting.

Edit: Also deleted ackwed.dta and updated, no error message and a new one was created, still old version O_o

-Alex
Posted By: gettarobox

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/16/07 15:20

I am having problems updating also.
I got the key to install fine but the update keeps saying (sic)CRC Miss-match dll file currupt. can't update Err.#261. ugh.
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/16/07 15:26

Sorry for beeing off topic, but... who wants to use Vista voluntarily?

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/16/07 17:00

I am using Vista on my work computer because I am Director of Technology and have to find out as much about it as I can before we deploy it 08 some time.

This is actually the first problem I've had.

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/16/07 20:34

Quote:

Sorry for beeing off topic, but... who wants to use Vista voluntarily?

Anyone who wants to stay on-top of technology.

For all intents and purposes vista IS better than XP. It's going to take some time to get all of the software over to the new OS, however.

It doesn't take much to be better than XP... So I could in-fact ask you, why are you using XP? I mean let's just all go back to using 95 shall we? Or perhaps let's just use dos.

If 3dgamestudio and 3d studio max were mac compatible, I'd fully switch over, for now I'm stuck doing my game development work on my PC while I enjoy using my mac as a gaming(Yes, I said it) and multimedia computer. :O

Anywho, any luck on a fix for this JCL? TMK is getting lonely without his engine....

Cheers,
Alex

PS: Vista ... Virus Inside Switch To Apple? Yeah, I thought so.

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/16/07 21:27

No luck, but I haven't much experience with Vista yet. If I understand you right, you can install the update, but as soon as you turn your back your PC installs the old version again.

This sounds strange, but could be related to your access rights to the Gamestudio folder on your machine. Normally you can indeed not modify the folder, but you can when you run the update with the option "as administrator" as suggested here. So at the moment I don't see the reason for your problem. I'll try to learn more about Vista and will notify you when I find out something.

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/17/07 07:02

Awesome JCL, thanks a lot for your help

Cheers,
Alex
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/18/07 02:09

why not jsut try to delete the file completely? then it will just add the file back to the file

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/19/07 12:13

Quote:

why not jsut try to delete the file completely? then it will just add the file back to the file

No offense meant:

Read the topic completely, I've already tried this.

Cheers,
Alex

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/21/07 16:10

has anyone been able to update on vista yet? i keep getting the currupt(sic)dll error.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/21/07 23:08

i read the topic all the way through, and i just skimmed it again, i cant find were you said you tried this, but whatev, im probably just missing it sorry

Re: problems with A6+vista - 02/21/07 23:23

Quote:

i read the topic all the way through, and i just skimmed it again, i cant find were you said you tried this, but whatev, im probably just missing it sorry

No problem, just making sure everyone knew I had tried it to no avail...

Quote:

Very strange, I tried what you said, and that didn't work.

I tried to update it in safe mode and it worked, I went to about and it was 6.50. However, when I switched back to normal mode it went back to the old version.

Hmm, very interesting.

Edit: Also deleted ackwed.dta and updated, no error message and a new one was created, still old version O_o

-Alex

Cheers,
Alex
© 2024 lite-C Forums