Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug

Posted By: msl_manni

Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - 08/17/07 13:21

Hi,
When I set
shadow_stencil = 2; //Z-fail stencil shadows

I see that the shadows are dranw totally incorrect.

Bye,
MSL.
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - 08/17/07 16:24

i guess your models are not closed meshes...then this happens, but you can make a more lowpoly model and close it and set the shadow lod to a diffrent stage
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - 08/17/07 16:56

this also happens if the camera is in a shadow volume.
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - 08/17/07 17:19

I've got exactly same problem. when i set shadow_stencil to 1 everything is ok
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - 08/17/07 18:22

Quote:

this also happens if the camera is in a shadow volume.

It doesn't make any difference with z-fail shadows. Z-fail will allow the camera into the shadow without artifacts.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - 08/17/07 20:12

...try making your shadow darker and your light brighter

Re: Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - 08/17/07 20:50

huh
Another solution - drink less alcohol
Seriously, nobody had the same problem? Maybe it's because of the videocard or something? I have it on every level

Re: Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - Solved - 08/18/07 04:08

Sorry guys, for posting this late. The problem has been solved.
It's purely a problem due to the ground mesh being an opem mesh. I was testing this level of somebody else and found the problem, but today morning I realised that the problem could be due to open mesh.

Quote:

this also happens if the camera is in a shadow volume

z-fail method does not takes camera into account .

xXxGuitar - Really a nice idea that only a person like you can come up with .

Shadow - I wont even think of alchol even in my dreams. But nice try .

Edited :

Shadow969 - This is your level that I was trying to use the z-fail method, you lazy bones, couldn't you create the playground as a closed mesh? . Well I have another problem with your contribution, it wont run with the latest A7 7.05 update. Please look into it .

Re: Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - Solved - 08/18/07 08:16

Closed meshes suck! Because i dont want to have gouraud shading on everything, esp walls and floor. Btw what exactly is the problem with 7.05? I'm too lazy to download and install it

Re: Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - Solved - 08/18/07 08:48

The Newton implementation doesn't works. There is error reported with Newton.c, and I have asked ventilator also to check the error. BTW any progress with Newton.

Re: Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - Solved - 08/18/07 11:05

I can't make the function NewtonMaterialGetContactTangentSpeed work. any time i use it engine crashes, PC blows up and stuff
Posted By: Slin

Re: Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - Solved - 08/18/07 22:04

Quote:

The Newton implementation doesn't works. There is error reported with Newton.c, and I have asked ventilator also to check the error. BTW any progress with Newton.

From the Betapage:
Quote:

A new VERTEX object was added to the engine objects.

The lite-c part of Newton defines and uses a struct called VERTEX. Rename it and it will run, though there seem to be some other small issues with Newton in that version.

Re: Stencil Shadow Z-Fail Bug - Solved - 08/19/07 04:44

[quote
From the Betapage:
Quote:

A new VERTEX object was added to the engine objects.

The lite-c part of Newton defines and uses a struct called VERTEX. Rename it and it will run, though there seem to be some other small issues with Newton in that version.

The Static objects mseh data is not properly transfered to the newton. It seems there are some issues between newton and latest upgrade, which ventilator will surely be able to remove .
© 2024 lite-C Forums