Engine demo

Posted By: zazang

Engine demo - 02/16/08 03:22

The new engine demo on the beta page is pretty cool.
Some Questions :-

1). Is the soft shadow shader(on the soldiers) available in the A6 shader library ?

2).Is the level composed of blocks + models or just models alone ?

3).The lightbeam effect through the windows - is it shader based or a sprite/model ?

regards
zazang
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 11:19

Very interesting demo. I like the lighting alot. Well done!

Here is the direct link:
http://server.conitec.net/down/demo_lightshadows.zip

But besides that there are problems as well. If you switch to a resolution 1280x1024 then shadows do not work (they stand beside the persons) as you can see here:

And the moving of the camera with keys and mouse feels very jerky though I constantly had 75 FPS. Something is wrong with camera script. It is not fps independent or reacts with delays resulting in jerks.

Animations are weak but this is not an engine fault.

The level and lighting is impressive though. With some improvements it could be a good advertising for A7.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 11:24

the zip file didn't work for me. how did you manage to extract it?
Posted By: Wicht

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 11:35

Looks and sounds like Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
Very cool.

I would like to see some internal "functions" instead of a wrs-file.
Posted By: broozar

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 11:40

the zip cannot be opended by filzip and 7zip, nor windows zip. "unsupported compresion method".

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 11:49

I extracted it with Winrar.

I uploaded a copy as rar file at Dexsoft. This is just temporarily so better Conitec creates a new compatible archive file:
http://www.dexsoft-games.com/Frank/demo_lightshadows.rar

Have fun!
Posted By: Excessus

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 12:21

The demo doesn't work on my computer. Not with the beta archive, and not with franks archive either. I just get a window with a black background and 5 lines of dashes.

Pretty excited about this, though!

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 12:47

Did you grab some sounds from Return to Castle Wolfenstein? (id Software / Gray Matter Studios)

It sounds like.
Posted By: Slin

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 13:29

Quote:

But besides that there are problems as well. If you switch to a resolution 1280x1024 then shadows do not work (they stand beside the persons)

I don´t have that problem...

Quote:

1). Is the soft shadow shader(on the soldiers) available in the A6 shader library ?

It looks a lot like blurred stencilshadows. You can find an example shader for that somewhere in the manual
It just has the disadvantage of a halo effect around the models...

I like the demo a lot, though the soldiers are walking really strange

EDIT: Here is the link to the blurshader: http://www.conitec.net/beta/render_target.htm

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 13:47

Quote:

Quote:

But besides that there are problems as well. If you switch to a resolution 1280x1024 then shadows do not work (they stand beside the persons)

I don´t have that problem...

This happens if you press F5.

But if you change the resolution in the ini file then it works even in higher resolutions.

An newcomer will not press F5, so it could be ok for the moment. But the jerky camera (while moving the mouse) will give potential customers the impression of a slow engine. They dont know how to check FPS (pressing F11) and will still assume it is caused by low frame rates.

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 13:50

Quote:

An newcomer will not press F5, so it could be ok for the moment. But the jerky camera (while moving the mouse) will give potential customers the impression of a slow engine. They dont know how to check FPS (pressing F11) and will still assume it is caused by low frame rates.

That is true and I think that it could probably be already enough to make it a bit slower...

I tried both, F5 and changing it in the file.
The problem just wasn´t there

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 13:52

But it happened other people as well. I talked to them via MSN.
Posted By: vlau

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 14:15

Nice demo. Will be great if we can download the
source code + level. Looking forward for another
outdoor level too.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 14:24

Great demo! I'm very curious how the usability will turn out in an own project!
Posted By: mpde

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 14:26

Quote:

Did you grab some sounds from Return to Castle Wolfenstein? (id Software / Gray Matter Studios)

It sounds like.

das ist sowas von unwichtig (oder geht es im demo um die sounds?)

@frank das mit dem fehler liegt am ändern der auflösung über f5, wer macht das schon im spiel, normalerweise stellt man es ja vorher ein. jedenfalls kommt es nicht zum fehler wenn es über die ini datei eingestellt wird... andere engines müssen sich bei einem auflösungswechsel ja auch erst neu initialisieren.

@conitec gebt gas freue mich schon auf das update und auf dieses level (dann natürlich nicht in eine resource gepackt sondern als richtiges demolevel!!!

mpde

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 14:38

@mpde:

Quote:

Muss ich mir um Deinen Geisteszustand Sorgen machen?

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 14:44

Lizenzrecht ist immer gültig, auch in Demos.

Und das F5-Problem haben wir ja schon besprochen und erkannt. Wenn die Auflösung geändert wird, muss auch der View des Schattens angepasst werden.

Falls man das nicht will, einfach F5 ausschalten.

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 14:52

nein natürlich nicht...

aber wenn du vielleicht ein ernstes gespräch suchst, damit du dir ein besseres bild über meinen geisteszustand machen kannst ruf doch einfach an. die tel.nr. gebe ich dir gerne per pm.

aber viel besser ist es wenn du dir keine sorgen um andere machst sondern bei dir erstmal anfängst. (gespräche mit dem eigenen spiegelbild wirken wunder glaube mir).

und nun höre auf mit solchen sinnlosen bemerkungen anderen gegenüber was deren geisteszustand angeht!

mpde

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 15:00

Das war keine Aussage, nur eine Frage.

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 15:18

da wir hier sowieso schon auf deutsch sind, ein paar gedanken zur demo.

die demo heißt "licht und schatten". also sehe ich wohlwollend über die steifen animationen, das blockige, detailarme, shaderlose level hinweg, ignoriere die schlechte framerate auf meine zweikern-gf76gt system und widme mich dem sinn der demo: licht und schatten.
eine derartige demo, in der nur eine einzige lichtquelle vorkommt, nämich die sonne, ist eigentlich peinlich. wenn dann die schatten auch noch sägezahnecken haben und die figurschatten konstant falsch berechnet werde, macht sie sich nur noch lächerlich. die figurenschatten mögen weich sein, sei werden aber sogar gweorfen, wenn die fur im schatten steht, es gibt keine echten schattenwurf auf figuren, und shader, was interessant gewesen wäre in bezug auf lichtanzahl pro modell und geschwindigkeit, fehlen komplett.
das volumenlicht greift auf einen alten fake von drew medina aus a5-zeiten zurück, der zwar gut aussieht, aber gar nichts mit der leistungsfähigkeit der engine zu tun hat.

fazit:
die demo erfüllt also weder ihren ausgewiesenen zweck, noch seht sie sonderlich gut aus, noch zeigt sie auf der performance-seite irgend etwas sehenswertes.

langweilig, nicht unbedingt hässlich, aber klar am ziel vorbei.

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 15:27

genau... auch meine meinung.

sehr sehr viel muss da verbessert werden!!!

mpde
Posted By: mmelo

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 15:51

Quote:

Quote:

It sounds like.

Now, now... this thread was going so well you had to switch to German and lose the other 6.5 billion people (myself included).
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 15:55

Hi,

i am not sure about this demo since most of the things shown are levelgeometry. and to be honest, we know that levelgeometry can calculate nice shadowmaps. the models are a pain in the ass when its up to lightning. And as far as this goes in the new demo i have some serious troubles with it. First of all i hardly see any of them, the ones i see (soldier) are far from being good enough for todays standard. Common, soldiers turning pitch black and withing a gloomy black cloud if they step onto a dark pixel. then all of a sudden turn skybright within a millisecond?!

i dont know how others think about this, but if this should be the furture of gs, i dont see a light at the end of the graveyard.

as for the demo: hmpf. will describe it best i think. Its not made very well (bad textures, glitches and uvw errors), way to static (though this could be the shadowmapping problem). And as far as i am concerned i agree with broozer 100%.

Get rid of those pseudo volumetric flare effects (they hardly look good with up to date shader technology, but sprites are killing me to be honest). and if the level thats left still looks well lit and not boring, you might be one step further.

sorry for ranting or sounding mean, but i thought being honest will help more then just cheering and being happy about a more then needed new demo level.

but engine demo "beta" might be the reason for some things here.

my bottom line: i wouldnt buy the engine based on this demo.

cheers and have a nice one
Posted By: Toast

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 16:42

I have to agree with broozar - this demo has lot of issues...

I now want to point out some more:
First I don't like to be tied to a set camera movement - exploring the scene by yourself should be an option. Then there is this effect which was called "halo effect" in this thread and which creates sort of an ugly motion blur on distance. But even worse - look at this:

1)
That's probably why there is no custom camera control as that blurring halo effect turns the soldiers into pixel mash on a mediocre distance...

2) & 3)
Well besides the already jaggy appearance of the shadows those two areas also are just ugly...

To sum it up this demo to my mind is disappointing in terms of artistic content and technical showcase (even the C-Lite Beer won't improve the situation )...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: D3D

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 19:36

Nice demo, but what makes it so special? Lot of bugs btw. Looks like it need a lot of work.
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 19:49

I like, is a small demo, I not have any problem
with the shadows, and first of all, I like to much
they start to make demos.

I whan and wait conitec continue in this way
Posted By: Nems

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 20:56

Dont forget guys, its beta demo on a beta page but yeah, I like it, certainly shows the possibilities if one really digs into it
Perhaps when the feature matures, the demo will mature right along side it to?

Re: Engine demo - 02/16/08 21:12

Felixsg: Try F5 the resolution higher than 1024x768 it will mess up the shadows. At least on my Geforce8800 GTX.

Nems: Yes I think so. I didn't mean to say this demo is not special (I could not make something like this myself), but that it is not really finished and can't be used in a serious project in this state.
Posted By: mmelo

Re: Engine demo - 02/17/08 21:51

Here's another bug: when you're flying close to the 3 barrels, if you look away from them (but still keep their shadows in view) you'll see they the cast shadows will simply vanish. There's barrel shadows only when they're onscreen. This problem doesn't seem to affect the soldiers.

Still, I feel I should counter some of the heavy criticism on this demo. Yes, it doesn't blow you away and it does look very last gen. But it is ok and the looks are more than acceptable for a non-AAA indie game. Besides, although fairly slowly, it _does_ work perfectly on my ATI 9200 Mobile, which is more than can be said by most engine demos. I even get the stencil shadows, which just about all other engines can't seem to muster on my aging laptop.
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: Engine demo - 02/17/08 22:55

I like the demo..It has an athmosphere. That can also be important to show some techniques and I like the "lite c beer" esteregg :]
The size of that demo is really small, but if you want to make for every aspekt of the engine a own demo it's ok.

but as mentioned before some things are missing.
The thing annoyed me most was the cam...too fast and jerky.
The second thing is the halo effect. It could be avoided by comparing the pixels of the depthmap.
The 3rd thing is: This demo should show what this engine is able to do. An easy enviroment mapping(maybe with normalmapping) on the floor would already do a great job.(look at hl2 how they did it...).
Maybe also a little (not too intense!) bloom shader.

Also if this shall be a shadowdemo. If there are some ugly blocks it just lowers the opinion of the player.

edit: played it again...I'm not sure, but is there a bloom if something is behind the rays of the windows?
Posted By: ello

Re: Engine demo - 02/17/08 23:33

cannot extract it
Posted By: FBL

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 00:10

The demo is not THAT bad if you ask me.

I pretty much like the look of it, although some shadows are pixelated.
- and never underestimate the power of fakes

There still needs some work to be done like the jerky camera rotation when using the mouse, and the bugs when resolution switching.
Maybe some more lighting stuff can be added. I'm thinking of dynamic lights which could be used when firing weapons or maybe some dark passage where one of the soldiers controls a flashlight?

However, I don't think it really is that bad as people here pretend it to be.

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 08:06

hi...

new demo

http://server.conitec.net/down/demo_venice.rar

mpde

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 09:15

Thanks for the link.

I also found this at the beta page:

"fps_max now uses a CPU loop for small idle times, which reduces the 'stuttering motion' problem on levels with high frame rate."

Is this a very fast reaction to the jerky camera problem of the lighting demo?

If that is the case then I would like to thank for this fast reaction. This is great.
So making official demos is really a good decision to realize real problems on real projects and overcome their issues.
This is the right way. Thanks.

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 09:31

thoughts about the venice demo:

the water shader is hl2 quality, though it is not transparent which should be no problem in dx9, should it?
the overall fps is really bad, it jumps between 29 and 40 @ athlon 64 dula core, 2 gig ram and gf 7600 gt. for just blocks and one shader surface, it's awkward. if the level was crowded with detail, ok, but it looks like it's been vacuum cleaned just before the player arrives.
the overall lighting is sterile and highly unimpressive. i felt reminded on the tomb raider 2 venice level:

except for the water shader and the lowres textures, it doesn't differ much, esp. regarding the lighting.
the weather effect is a really nice idea.
Posted By: Toast

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 09:49

Well I liked the 2nd demo much more than the first. Although it also has some issues:

I don't know why but I always have those 3 lines of grey minus signs on screen all the time. Then there is the water shader which is somewhat nice but the reflections really are jaggy. I'm not 100% sure but if I'm right this was already done better in Half-Life 2. I also seem to have a probem with those red poles:

Might be a driver issue or something like that though...

Well apart from that there are only some minor issues i.e. the scene is pretty boring (still no free flight mode) and the chimney smoke with its like 6 step animation also isn't looking all too good. You also might want to add like metal poles with a sphere on its top which have some environmental mapping or even real reflections to show off some more stuff than just the water reflections (because for just this you might better have constructed an inhouse pool with a more interesting scene and maybe some rubber ducks & stuff to throw into the pool to show physics too)...

Enjoy yor meal
Toast
Posted By: Blitzblaster1

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 10:54

So i saw the demos right now and i think the same as broozar, and i saw the lines, many small dots in the demo too. My GPU is a ATI X1900XTX with the latest driver.
The FPS is between 35-45 and when all shaders include, i think we have a slideshow. At the first moment not bad, but after the second look, not really timely.

Regards
Blitzblaster
Posted By: Nems

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 11:01

Enjoyed it a lot Might make it my screen saver
Posted By: fogman

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 11:40

No lightmap, it looks to flat if you ask me.
I like the weather effects, though.
It seems that the level comes from wetain:

Quote:

"2008-02-15 weinhold
NEW:
* added improved overlay material for all trees
CHG:
* changed start/help screen
* removed water splash speed from the rain effect
* changed splash creation technique

2008-02-14 weinhold
NEW:
* initial commit"

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 12:51

Someone can upload this demo? I tried downloading it from Conitec website, but the file is damaged or corrupt.

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 12:59

Quote:

Someone can upload this demo? I tried downloading it from Conitec website, but the file is damaged or corrupt.

It seems at it is just getting uploaded. I tried it a few times and it gets always a bit bigger

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 12:59

unrar it with winrar or 7zip, that were the only tools that worked for me.

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 13:10

I liked the first demo more :]

The critism on this 2nd are:
Water-too low res mirror-view, not transparent
the 2 trees: they are ugly
houses: you see them in a distance of 2meters or even nerer. The textures should be more than 1 texel = 10cm...
Posted By: iuselitec

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 13:42

i don´t find them that bad. some problems like the soldiers which don´t turn smoothly, the moiré effect on the roofs and the ugly trees with the strange alpha borders should be fixed though and they shouldn´t be wrs packed but open and free to use for everyone.

please don´t make zip files with winrar. they seem to be quite incompatible.

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 14:23

The second demo is also nice. The only bug I've encountered
is the grid lines on the water terrain and a blue line above
the buildings when switching to different resolution (F5).

Also, lamp light are not bright enough when the camera getting
close.

EDIT
----
Sorry for the grid lines problem, I think I've press F11 double.
It's fine now.

Posted By: FBL

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 14:30

I noticed some alpha issues with the trees, pixelated water shader and unsharp textures.
I also wonder why the framerate is so low (for such a level I'd expect no noticeable framerate impact, meaning I'd have my full 75 fps in fullscreen mode).

Still, I think the demo is okay.

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 15:23

If i don't err the first demo was made from the resources of red winter?
http://www.wetain.com/de/portfolio/prototypen/red-winter

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 16:12

Since this is the Ask-Conitec thread I have got some questions regarding the demos:
  • The rendering speed is a bit slow for the amount of details and texture resolution. Is it because they are made out of blocks? Are they made out of blocks?
    Will a similiar scene created from models render with faster speed?
  • Will there be any detail informations about the demos? Technical description or even source files?
  • Are those demos final? Or will they get any improvements (removing the F5 resolution issue, removing the horizontal lines, removing jerky camera, getting compatible zip archive)?

Posted By: iuselitec

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 16:40

if you press f11 twice then you can see that the first demo uses blocks and the second demo one model for the whole world (i don´t think this is ideal scene management?). the model of the venice demo should be converted to ABT level geometry and show some shadow mapping. can the map compiler handle shadow mapping on non-block level geometry properly in the meantime?

Re: Engine demo - 02/18/08 19:32

so this explains the slow fps in the venice level then...
Posted By: jcl

Re: Engine demo - 02/19/08 13:36

This thread is too long for me, so I'll just answer the last questions. Yes, the warehouse is made from blocks and models won't render faster, the demo source will become available, and the demos are final except for some small fixes.
Posted By: ulf

Re: Engine demo - 02/19/08 15:33

just one suggestion, make the demo's open source - so the community can help to improve it here and there... right now they are acceptable, but far from perfect in my mind.
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Engine demo - 02/19/08 17:45

good to see that conitec cares about the user requests and has created some demos everyone here wanted to see.

nice job and hope to see more.

i like the second one more. texture resolution rework might help a lot but i love the water shader.

cheers

Re: Engine demo - 02/19/08 19:21

Is there any chance to publish the third demo
like Fluid physics and Auto LOD?
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: Engine demo - 02/19/08 19:31

Why not including fluid physics into the second demo?
Would be very cool to see realistic waves created by the boat and the rain!

Dark_Samurai
© 2024 lite-C Forums